little interest in the Oliver Nelson?

Yes it will be in the Mosaic set. This will be one of the few complete LP's on this set much to my regret (that rhymes!!). And not all of the Nelson BB tracks with SMith and Scott are included either. If MC answers my questions about this I'll let you know the reasons behind this (they must be very logical but I can't see them).

I'd be more enthusiastic about this set if it included the Flying Dutchman Black Brown & Beautiful.

Does Cuscuna have ANY pull w/the RCA folks? Are there any left to pull?

We have a vinyl set of it here at the station and you're right, Jim, it's excellent.

Just to make sure - you're talking about the FD original with the "full frontal" cover, not the RCA/Bluebird reissue of the same name but totally different contents, right?

Finally found a scan of the "full frontal" cover: http://www.dougpayne.com/onbbb1.jpg

Not quite full frontal, but close enough...

Why this cover was selected for this album is beyond me.

• 1 month later...

got a question for you Oliver Nelson experts...

I bought the single OJC CD "Afro-American Sketches" since it was a record around the time of the Mosaic set... I like it a lot and was wondering - Will the Mosaic set be much different than this CD?... I know (at least AMG) has mixed reviews of the individual LP's....

I bought the single OJC CD "Afro-American Sketches" since it was a record around the time of the Mosaic set... I like it a lot and was wondering - Will the Mosaic set be much different than this CD?... I know (at least AMG) has mixed reviews of the individual LP's....

The material on the Mosaic is slicker, less "rough and ready".

Slicker??? (As in tight arrangements, compositions and playing... ALA Benny Golson??? [i know Golson didn't do big bands but I'm trying to understand your concept... with a point of reference...) :unsure:

The material on the Mosaic is slicker, less "rough and ready".

• 2 months later...

My copy of the Nelson set arrived the other day. Haven't had time to hear it yet, but it looks interesting.

I already had several of the albums within it, including Fantabulous, Sound Pieces, Kennedy Dream, the Spirit of '67 and Full Nelson.

Edited by Ken Dryden

I don't have the Mosaic but have several of the sets included. 'Sound Pieces ' is great especially the quartet part with Steve Kuhn, Ron Carter and Grady Tate. They do an amazing version of 'The Shadow Of Your Smile'. Unfortunately it seems the quartet tracks are NOT on the Mosaic which is a real shame.

' Spirit Of 67' is just a really great cd, period.

All in all I'm a bit ambivalent about this Mosaic. I'm sure it will be good but why couldn't we have all of 'Sound Pieces'.

I suppose that anyone with even a passing interest in Oliver Nelson already has ' Blues & The Abstract Truth' and' More B&TAT' but it seems odd that they are not in the box.

Edited by kinuta

I suppose that anyone with even a passing interest in Oliver Nelson already has ' Blues & The Abstract Truth' and' More B&TAT' but it seems odd that they are not in the box.

Does anybody know what is Mosaic's explanation for not including these two classics sessions in this box???

Does anybody know what is Mosaic's explanation for not including these two classics sessions in this box???

not big band dates

not big band dates

Ten players (MB&TAT) is not exactly a small combo….

I'm thoroughly enjoying the Oliver Nelson box. Some great writing and playing.

My only complaint thus far is I wish the piano had been tuned for the "Fantabulous" session. <_<

It's kind of a drag.

Otherwise, great stuff. Anyone else checking it out?

Mine just came the other day--I've been listening to disc 1. The music sounds beautiful, esp. with all the windows in the house open for the first time this year (we're enjoying spring-like weather here in Bloomington). Yeah, you're sure right about that piano--that's from the Argo session. Kenny Berger says in the liner notes that it sounds "as if it had recently been salvaged from the wreckage of the Titanic" and calls it more suitable for a saloon scene in a grade B Western. ^_^

Hope this set results in Nelson getting more praise for his big-band work.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the Oliver Nelson box. Some great writing and playing.

My only complaint thus far is I wish the piano had been tuned for the "Fantabulous" session. <_<

It's kind of a drag.

Otherwise, great stuff. Anyone else checking it out?

Mine just came the other day--I've been listening to disc 1. The music sounds beautiful, esp. with all the windows in the house open for the first time this year (we're enjoying spring-like weather here in Bloomington). Yeah, you're sure right about that piano--that's from the Argo session. Kenny Berger says in the liner notes that it sounds "as if it had recently been salvaged from the wreckage of the Titanic" and calls it more suitable for a saloon scene in a grade B Western. ^_^

Hope this set results in Nelson getting more praise for his big-band work.

I've had mine for about a week now but I've only managed to play it right through once.

First impressions are:

1) it is up to Mosaic's usual high standards for presentation and sound quality.

2) Of his own recordings I seem to prefer the two earliest dates - Full Nelson (Verve) & Fantabulous (Argo). Perhaps that's because they are the ones where he actually plays alto/tenor sax instead of just conducting/arranging.

3) The Kennedy Dream (Impulse) sounds so much better than my original vinyl that it could be a different recording!

4) I don't think the Shirley Scott album - Roll-em (Impulse) is going to grow on me

5) The Pee Wee Russell album - The spirit of '76 (Impulse) is lovely. I have never heard him play before, having always associated his clarinet playing with Dixieland Jazz which I'm not keen on. However his playing with the big band is absolutely stunning and has meant that I will be investigating other recordings of his.

5) There is probably too much Jimmy Smith in the set but it does sound so very good, if perhaps a little too familiar.

If you like other of his albums or you just want to upgrade existing vinyl then I don't think you will be disappointed with this set

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...