Count Basie Recommendations?

Peter Johnson

Lots of good recommendations already, but just let me add another :tup for the Columbia 4CD box. Even though I'd have preferred a complete set, for someone getting started on Basie it's a great place, I'd say, presenting different sides of the Count, and also including the great live sets on CD4 (most of which, or all of which, were on Masters of Jazz discs, before).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, I don't have my Decca set with me, but re: the awful SQ, wasn't it remastered by JRT Davies too? "Swingmatism" was, as far as I can remember.

The Decca Basie booklet credits the digital transfers to Steven Lasker, Doug Schwartz and John R.T. Davies!

then adds: 'Audio restoration and reprocessing by Erick Labson (utilizing the Sonic Solution ''NoNOISE'' system)'.

So Mr Labson is to blame :angry::tdown

Thanks, everyone--this is a great start. I know I can get Atomic Basie and Newport today, and will think about whether to get the the Hep or the (verve?) issue of the Decca sides.

Thanks!

Those are 2 great choices.

I really like the OOP Live Mosaic, but the last one on e-bay sold for around $700.

At the other end of the spectrum you could get the (you should pardon the expression) Proper Box (4 CDs) for around $20 & go from there.

I can't stress enough that you first should get your hands on a good deal of Old Testament Basie -- in particular, an album that includes the 1938 recording of "Taxi War Dance" (with solos by Lester Young and Dicky Wells). That should change your life. Don't know what's available in what form now, though (I still have my old LPs). The Old Testament rhythm section -- Basie, Walter Page, Freddie Green, Jo Jones -- is another potentially life-changing experience. Also, of course, both Pres with Basie and that Basie rhythm section significantly altered the shape of jazz, and one needs to go back and experience that event as best one can. Actually, it's not hard to do; the music itself still tells the story.

I can't stress enough that you first should get your hands on a good deal of Old Testament Basie -- in particular, an album that includes the 1938 recording of "Taxi War Dance" (with solos by Lester Young and Dicky Wells).

The studio "Taxi War Dance" (from early 1939, Columbia) is available in the Legacy 4-CD set mentioned earlier in this thread.

The French Masters of Jazz (Count Basie 1939 MJCD 153) also has the alternate take. Lester Young's solos are worth comparing (in the master take he starts with a quote of Ol' Man River, the alternate with kind of Tea for Two.)

F

PS Re Sound Quality, I don't have Universal's "Swingmatism" (a 1-CD compilation of Decca recordings) any more, but I seem to remember the sound was crispier than in the Complete Deccas 3-CD set.

By the way, I don't have my Decca set with me, but re: the awful SQ, wasn't it remastered by JRT Davies too? "Swingmatism" was, as far as I can remember.

The Decca Basie booklet credits the digital transfers to Steven Lasker, Doug Schwartz and John R.T. Davies!

then adds: 'Audio restoration and reprocessing by Erick Labson (utilizing the Sonic Solution ''NoNOISE'' system)'.

A quote from the Decca/GRP set booklet: "In preparing this reissue, every effort has been made to locate the best available source material (original metal parts, shellac records, test pressings, or earlier tapes). After transfer to digital tape, reprocessing has been accomplished with the use of the computerized NoNOISE system developed by Sonic Solutions (...)"

Says enough... :tdown

nobody has mentioned the pre-Basie Moten band, which is incredible - starts late 1920s - pay attention to the early arranging work of Eddie Durham, one of the first great modern arrangers - the Moten band is spectacular - I also think that the idea of the old Basie band as primarily a "head arrangement" band is overstated - listen to those pieces, many of which are clearly arranged in detail -

nobody has mentioned the pre-Basie Moten band, which is incredible - starts late 1920s - pay attention to the early arranging work of Eddie Durham, one of the first great modern arrangers - the Moten band is spectacular - I also think that the idea of the old Basie band as primarily a "head arrangement" band is overstated - listen to those pieces, many of which are clearly arranged in detail -

If interested the truly excellent Hep 2CD "Band box shuffle" is the place to go IMO

If interested the truly excellent Hep 2CD "Band box shuffle" is the place to go IMO

Bennie Moten on Hep

Yes! Best sounding release of the 1929-32 recordings of the Moten band. :tup

And IMHO next step should be the two discs on Frog ("Justrite" and "Kansas City Breakdown"), from the earlier period (1926-29).

Hefti was THE Basie arranger. Saw a wonderfrul Hefti tribute by the Smithsonian Jazz Orchestra on U street a few years ago. Joe Wilder was blowin'...

Yes, some days I say that. Other days I say it was Ernie Wilkins or Thad Jones or Frank Foster or Sammy Nestico. Depends on what I'm listening to at the time. I read somewhere that the band really liked Ernie's stuff. "16 Men Swingin' " - of course that could apply to most of Basie's book.

A couple of my favorites:

f93794tjqej.jpg

plus "Basie at Birdland" (Roulette)

Edited by John Tapscott

Catesta writes: "April In Paris" is for me the definition of Basie.

Right -- and the definition of Armstrong is "Hello, Dolly," and the definition of Ellington is "Satin Doll."

(Actually, that's not being fair to "Satin Doll.")

I meant it more for sentimental reasons, as in that it was my intoduction to Basie. When I was a kid, "April in Paris" was often on my father's turntable and it always brings back fond memories.

I know, I'm using some "dirty" recommedations.

On Definitive, Spanish "Bootleg" Company, you can get "The Original American Decca Recordings" (3 CD's)

and "The Complete Columbia Recordings 1941-1951" (3 D's), but they are cheap.

I will also recommend "The Atomic Basie" on Roulette with The New Testamet Band from 1957, and also

"Count On The Coast" vol. 1 and 2 from 1958, it's a live date on The Swedish Label PHONT, very, very GOOD.

Vic

Catesta writes: "April In Paris" is for me the definition of Basie.

Right -- and the definition of Armstrong is "Hello, Dolly," and the definition of Ellington is "Satin Doll."

(Actually, that's not being fair to "Satin Doll.")

I meant it more for sentimental reasons, as in that it was my intoduction to Basie. When I was a kid, "April in Paris" was often on my father's turntable and it always brings back fond memories.

I'd certainly agree that it was the definition (or one of them) of the New Testament band. One of my favorites. I much prefer it to the "Atomic" album, actually.

Not sure if anybody's mentioned the latter-day Pablo small group sides. Overall, a mixed bag, but there's some good stuff there, often w/Lockjaw Davis on hand to get frisky.