Which Blue Note do you think needs RVG treatment?

connoisseur series500

As I was mentioning in another thread, I wondered if many of the BN titles really need to be remastered into RVG editions. I suppose Blue Note thinks so, or they wouldn't remaster and reissue them.

Or do they remaster them in part because the older issues are out of print and this is a way of making them available once more?

At any rate, can you think of any BN sessions that really need to be remastered or given the RVG treatment?

For me one really stands out. It's Jackie Mclean's "Demon's Dance." I can barely hear it when I put it on. Now granted, recent lengthy sessions of listening to Roland Kirk at very LOUD VOLUMES may have played a role here, :P but I don't think so.

Any one agree? Can you think of any others?

Edited by connoisseur series500

Horace Silvers' "The Jody Grind" is certainly one. I'm told that the U.S. CD issue was mastered off an LP, and I think I've verified this personally, with the volume turned way up, and with some headphones. Don't know what that means for the master tapes (lost?), but in any case - this one sure needs help.

I've also generally thought McCoy Tyner's "Tender Moments" and "Expansions" could both sure use some help.

I'm normally not too overly critical of the earlier U.S. CD issues, but there are a few others that need help too. I'll have to skim through my stacks of CD's, and see what comes to mind.

Joe Henderson's "Mode For Joe" was another one, but it's due out this fall - thankfully.

Back At The Chicken Shack is in awful need of a sonic upgrade.  A masterpiece in need of a rescue....not to mention Midnight Special and Crazy Baby.

I agree. I've been holding off on buying the first two you mention in hopes, but I'm beginning to wonder... :(

I can't help but wonder if this isn't hurting Blue Note to a degree. There have been quite a few times I've picked up a disc I'd like to buy and hear, but then I think "nah; wait and see if an RVG come out..."

Edited by Jazzmoose

They could actually put Back at the Chicken Shack and Midnight Special together on one disc, even that one track which surfaced on the CD issue of Chicken Shack should fit in. Now that would be a hell of a disc!

And Crazy Baby, yes! - but that music is so fucking good!

I got it as my maybe tenth BN disc of Smith and it really was a revelation!

That other one with Turrentine (can't remember the title) would be nice to have RVG'd, too, though it doesn't grab me as do Midnight Special and Chicken Shack.

Then how about RVGs of the two Ornette and the two Cecil Taylor discs? I know they would probably rather show up as Conns (as should the third Don Cherry disc), but they would be nicer done by RVG, I think.

Then anyway they should hire either Malcolm Addey or RVG as their "default" remasterer...

ubu

Another vote for the Chicken Shack/Midnight Special material. This is the ultimate organ/tenor date. I have the JRVG of Chicken Shack, and it came out really well.

No McMaster, please. I don't think this will be issued in the Connoisseur series anyway - it does not fit that category.

• Jackie McLean: Tippin' the Scales

With the original Japanese cover (please), and the (many) alternates at the end. This album doesn't get very many :tup 's, but I think if the hideous 80's American cover were banned to oblivion, the tapes remastered again for disc, and the alternates not stacked up one atop the other, people might give this one a new, and open-minded, listen. The contrast between where Jackie was going (one step beyond) and what Sonny Clark was doing (in-the-idiom blowing) creates a fine tension in this (somewhat overlooked) album.

I wish I could find the Japanese cover to post here, but it's in the new (miniature) Blue Note cover art book (as well as one of the earlier, and larger, editions). It has an identical flavor to Dexter Gordon's Clubhouse, another album worthy of individual RVG treatment.

"Blue Spirits" is an excellent idea. That's a superb album, made varied by having two different lineups. Just the original album would do. I especially don't like the track with the harpsichord (incorrectly listed as a celeste) that Michael added to the old CD. An egg like that does not deserve to be in the company of such a great album.

I also like the "Tippin' The Scales" idea. I think it's a fine album, with quintessential McLean and Clark, capturing the flavor of a period that can never be recreated. I haven't seen the Japanese cover, but it would have to be awful not to be an improvement over the cover used for the old CD, which looks like an old picture of grandpaw found in a rundown farmhouse.

With the original Japanese cover (please), and the (many) alternates at the end. This album doesn't get very many  :tup 's, but I think if the hideous 80's American cover were banned to oblivion, the tapes remastered again for disc, and the alternates not stacked up one atop the other, people might give this one a new, and open-minded, listen. The contrast between where Jackie was going (one step beyond) and what Sonny Clark was doing (in-the-idiom blowing) creates a fine tension in this (somewhat overlooked) album.

I wish I could find the Japanese cover to post here, but it's in the new (miniature) Blue Note cover art book (as well as one of the earlier, and larger, editions). It has an identical flavor to Dexter Gordon's Clubhouse, another album worthy of individual RVG treatment.

Is it this one?

If so, MUCH better!!

Edited by Templejazz

With the original Japanese cover (please), and the (many) alternates at the end. This album doesn't get very many :tup 's, but I think if the hideous 80's American cover were banned to oblivion, the tapes remastered again for disc, and the alternates not stacked up one atop the other, people might give this one a new, and open-minded, listen. The contrast between where Jackie was going (one step beyond) and what Sonny Clark was doing (in-the-idiom blowing) creates a fine tension in this (somewhat overlooked) album.

I am in complete, 100%, thumbs-up agreement with you, late. Tippin' the Scales, YES!!!

Also, Serenade To A Soul Sister, by Horace Silver, Chicken Shack, Soothsayer, and, lest we forget, Davis Cup (I think it was an early Conn. but is long OOP.)