Happy Birthday, Jim Alfredson!!!

Don't have any pictures, but I put three coats of polyurethane on the floor. I read that you really don't want to do more than that because you risk having cracking appear. It looks very good and has already taking some beatings (I dropped my screwdriver on it a few times while installing our new ceiling fan) and is really standing up well.

I'm going to take a picture of a part of the floor that was not sanded because it is behind a gas valve and will be behind the stove so the "before and after" is evident. I have to say, I had my doubts that it would come out looking this good and even tried to convince my wife that we should tile the floor. I'm glad that she stayed the course!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, I've looked at all of the photos of your work and read your process and Ive got to say, as a builder, you did a job like a mechanic!

But the next time you finish the floor, use these products from Glitza

What we do is put down 2 coats of Bacca sealer and then one coat of Glitza. The floor will be as hard as a rock.

Here's one of our Model Homes: with red oak floors.

mh_top.jpg

mh_04.jpg

Marcello, thanks for the tip but I think you have to be a contractor to get that stuff, is that right? When doing research, I found some very interesting products that were commercial grade sealers, but I can't buy them as an individual.

I've got all hardwood floors in this house and they all need done, so if there's a better way, I'm all for it! :)

You know Jim, I'm not sure about that. Check their website for information.

One thing though, you do need a commercial grade mask. The stuff is very strong, almost like a epoxy. When you put the Glitza on, you can't be in the room and it takes hours for the smell to go away. Even going into a house the day after, it make me cough like hell!

It's really the very best product on the market and will last much, much longer that anything else.

I've had my share of epoxy exposure. Not sure I want to go down that road again! But I believe you, the stuff would probably out-last the house.

We probably won't be doing any of our other floors for a few years and in the meantime I'll see how this kitchen floor holds up. It's going to be getting a lot of traffic. Again, thanks for the tip!

• 11 months later...