Mel Gibson drinks truth juice

It's the stupid mimicking of an American accent, which I object to.

Aw come on man! You're being more than silly. So Ubu replies to some utter obnoxious shite and dons a semi-merican accent just for the occasion, just to drive home the utter obnoxiousness of the original posts. Then you come along and can't stand the heat from Switzerland (of all places). Grow up man, you are being more than silly.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to escalate this. I found the humor in this thread refreshing, considering the potential for outlandish retorts to the post in question.

I don't know what wolff's problem is. He's been here a long time and has been a good contributor. But this recent crop of xenophobia is disturbing and will not be tolerated.

gibson_exclusive_wi_2.jpg

Wow, who would imagine that this guy could get violently drunk and spew crazy, hateful nonsense?

Says a lot about him, doesn't it... :tdown

Isn't this Saddam?

Sorry, Conn, if I got carried away, but wolff's two attacks - blatantly racist post, with *no* point at all - were really getting on my nerves. And you can't tell there have been countless reactions against them - there were some, yes, and thanks for these!

Anyway, I'm in no way anti-american, but - I won't go into politics, I just mention this now - the current regime there and the whole neo-con gang *is* getting on my nerves, indeed. This is no reason to turn into an anti-american person, though, and I am sorry if my stoopid spellink hurt any feelings. It was definitely not intended, and as couw said - thanks for stepping in, amigo! - I don't thing some stoopid spellinks in such a stoopid discussion should hurt anyone.

And @moose: no, why should we revert to PMs? Wolff has posted his disgusting stuff in the open, so it stands there and there's need for reaction to it. In my opinion, these threads can be closed or deleted or whatever, but if the junk spills in the open, the cleaning up has to take place there, too.

Hey, and as a last note, just let me make clear that I have never considered wolff's opinion a majority point of view here - not for a second! I am well aware of the great and open-minded folks on this board, and that's probably why I enjoy it so much here, so keep the spirits up!

No kidding--the EU isn't anti-American, it's anti-Bush. Bush/GOP does not equal America.

Anyway, back to the raging anti-Semite so beloved by those who rant against "liberal Hollywood". Via Ha'aretz:

Jewish groups demand Mel Gibson be ostracized for anti-Semitic rant

By The Associated Press

Jewish groups have called for Oscar-winning American actor Mel Gibson to be ostracised from Hollywood and investigated for breach of race hate laws after his drunken anti-Semitic outburst to a Los Angeles police officer.

Gibson issued a lengthy statement Saturday apologizing for saying "despicable" things to sheriff's deputies when he was arrested for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol.

The U.S. Anti-Defamation League said that the apology was not enough and that Gibson should be ostracised by his peers.

Abraham H. Foxman, the group's national director, said, "It appears that the combination of liquor and arrest has revealed his true character.

"We believe there should be consequences to bigots and bigotry. One way to

combat bigots is to put a price on bigotry.

"I would hope that if this is in fact true, that his colleagues condemn him and distance themselves from him."

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable," the actor-director said without elaborating.

The entertainment Web site TMZ posted what it said were four pages from the original arrest report, which quoted Gibson as launching an expletive-laden "barrage of anti-Semitic remarks" after he was stopped early Friday on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu while allegedly driving at almost twice the speed limit.

According to the report, in addition to threatening the arresting deputy and trying to escape, Gibson said, "The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world," and asked the officer, James Mee, "Are you a Jew?"

Gibson publicist Alan Nierob would not comment on the incident beyond the written statement.

Los Angeles County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. John Hocking said he could not confirm the TMZ report, adding that detectives would begin investigating today.

The Los Angeles Times reported on its Web site late Saturday that the sheriff's department's civilian oversight office will investigate whether authorities gave Gibson preferential treatment and tried to cover up his alleged behavior.

Sheriff Lee Baca defended his department's handling of the case. "There is no cover-up," Baca told the Times. "Our job is not to (focus) on what he said. It's to establish his blood-alcohol level when he was driving and proceed with the case. Trying someone on rumor and innuendo is no way to run an investigation, at least one with integrity."

In his statement, Gibson apologized for what he called "my belligerent behavior" when he was taken into custody.

"The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person," he said. "I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse."

He said he was taking "necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Gibson, 50, was arrested after deputies stopped his 2006 Lexus LS 430 for speeding at 2:36 A.M. Friday. A breath test indicated Gibson's blood-alcohol level was 0.12 percent, Whitmore said. The legal limit in California is 0.08 percent. He was released after posting $5,000 bail.

At least, some good comes out of this sad episode...

From AP:

ABC Cancels Planned Mini-Series With Mel Gibson

(AP) LOS ANGELES Disney-owned ABC says it has cancelled a planned mini-series about the Holocaust that it was developing with Mel Gibson's Icon Productions.

In a statement, ABC said "Given that it has been nearly two years and we have yet to see the first draft of a script, we have decided to no longer pursue this project with Icon."

Spokesman Kevin Brockman wouldn't comment on whether the decision was motivated by Gibson's arrest last week on suspicion of drunken driving or the controversy surrounding the actor.

Gibson reportedly unleashed an anti-Semitic tirade and made other offensive comments when he was pulled over, initially for speeding, early Friday in Malibu and was then arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol.

Just let me add one more thing, again mainly directed at Conn: English is not my native tongue (far from...) and I have seriously never given a thought about a spelling like "yurpeen" having had any anti-US implication (probably my bad, maybe embarassing to say this here). This all comes down that I think your reaction may have been a little bit on the touchy side. Not that you're not allowed to be touchy, I've been so several times on this board, myself. It's just that the language we're conversing in here isn't the native tongue for several of us non-UK european fellows and thus some of the finer distinctions may escape us or as in this case be beyond our knowledge.

its even worse for us Brits- record levels of functional illiteracy, poor communication skills..........can't even speak our own language!

btw the yurp thing used to be a attack on the Bush pronunciation which used to make Europe sound like 'yurp' as opposed to what my family who call it u-rup....

Just let me add one more thing, again mainly directed at Conn: English is not my native tongue (far from...) and I have seriously never given a thought about a spelling like "yurpeen" having had any anti-US implication (probably my bad, maybe embarassing to say this here). This all comes down that I think your reaction may have been a little bit on the touchy side. Not that you're not allowed to be touchy, I've been so several times on this board, myself. It's just that the language we're conversing in here isn't the native tongue for several of us non-UK european fellows and thus some of the finer distinctions may escape us or as in this case be beyond our knowledge.

plus you guys have to speak more than one language in one country ...ugh .....imagine trying to get that happening in the UK....its like asking us all to speak Welsh prynhawn da!

....or Gaelic-An dairire ata tu?

or even .........................................Cornish...... Na wra henna :unsure:

Dohajydh da

Andy

Again, that's fine. Don't need to explain any further.

This is for Andy as well: bear in mind, that we are all a mix here. To this day, I still hold a British passport. I am a dual US/UK citizen. I have one parent born in the EU, and one older sibling born in the EU. No need to present this as an US v. Europe type of thing. Some of us straddle both sides, though in my case, I am definitely "New World!"

Now, back to Mel... :g

Edited by connoisseur series500

Hey Conn...cool

never was a US v EU thing for me

just trying to lighten the atmosphere from last nights issues

as I said earlier up the page

"Seems a little sad that it degenerated into some anti EU thing I must admit. leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

need to stop this EU vs US rivalry"

Edited by andybleaden