Hank Mobley - Another Workout RVG

Soulstation1

u r nutz. another workout has never been "reissued". wasn't it simotaneously released on lp & cd back in '86 or 87 after hank kicked the bucket?

wait wait i just saw the Ss1 pic he loaded up, that is obviously a bootleg- i mean i dont care n all, im just sayin

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...39694&BAB=M

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...=28196&st=0

Three Coins was a "leftover" from the original Workout date, so they included it as a bonus track on the reissue of that session. It was first released in the '80s on Another Workout to fill out a short lp.

Yeah, but Grant Green sat out "Three Coins", so it was a misprint to include GG in the personnel. I would imagine that's why BN redid the artwork.

Kevin

Haven’t heard the 80’s issue, but this version is okay. Not the best sounding RVG by a long shot, but the quality of the playing makes up for that (i.e. shouldn’t let it keep you from getting it if you don’t already have it).

Speaking of GG, I was listening to Workout yesterday, and it seems like there’s a couple of tracks on which Green doesn’t play. Is that correct? Or am I just not paying attention?

Yes, it's worth the upgrade. In comparison to the old CC title, the rhythm section just POPS on this one and the bass is much more audible and distinct. There are moments of obvious tape wear, but this is a small price to pay for a nice sounding reissue.

Plus the old cover SUCKED! :g

I remember that Michael Cuscuna originally planned a Mosaic box when he discovered the tapes for Another Workout, including Soul Station, Roll Call, and Workout, i.e. all the Wynton Kelly sessions from those years, with the new findings as a bonus. But then Blue note went for the single CD reissues.

I still find it hard to buy South African grapes, and while the end of CC in theory ends my general EMI/Blue Note boycott the RVG resistance is pretty much in place. Still I bought this 'upgrade' and wasn't too impressed by the sound. Depends what you like, of course, but while the drum kit clatter is increased I don't feel it does anything for the tenor which sounds pretty muted (and yes, it sounds like a strangled old tape, lacking color).

• 2 years later...

Just got this the other day, and while David Ayers is right about the sound of Hank's tenor on the reissue...I just have to say that after working 11+ hours yesterday, running errands that included going to a monstrously-sized and frantically-busy grocery store, and not getting home till 9:15 in the evening, I put this CD on, listened to it, and understood once again why life's not only worth living, but how moving and beautiful it can be as well. Thank you, Mr. Mobley.

It's not as good as Workout but there's some great stuff on there. One minor problem I have listening to it though is that Mobley recorded different versions of Gettin' and Jettin' and Hank's Other Soul on his '63 session with Herbie Hancock. That happens to be my all-time favourite Mobley session and I listen to it all the time, so when I recently heard Another Workout those old versions of the songs sounded a bit 'off' or 'wrong.'