***** Randy Weston - The African Rhythms Space *****

king ubu

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will have to look for the Enja, then! Is there anything else on Freedom other than the one recording in Zurich ("Blues for Africa")?

No!

I never got hold of that other Black Lion/DA Music album, "Berkshire Blues", how's that one?

That one was recorded in 1965 IIRC for Duke Ellington's label, but not released at the time. I like it a lot, very nice relaxed trio pieces, including Randy doing some Duke, which equals Monk doing Duke in quality, though not in style. And you must have heard Randy doing "Three Blind Mice"!

Edited by mikeweil

Will have to look for the Enja, then! Is there anything else on Freedom other than the one recording in Zurich ("Blues for Africa")?

No!

I never got hold of that other Black Lion/DA Music album, "Berkshire Blues", how's that one?

That one was recorded in 1965 IIRC for Duke Ellington's label, but not released at the time. I like it a lot, very nice relaxed trio pieces, including Randy doing some Duke, which equals Monk doing Duke in quality, though not in style. And you must have heard Randy doing "Three Blind Mice"!

I've got this one on vinyl and agree with your observations. The recording quality is quite good too.

Is it clear to all Mike has blocked me? :cool:

Don't understand what you want to say by "blocked me" - I didn't see your post when I replied to Ubu's as it was on the next page. No bad intentions on my side.

That said, I pity you didn't have the funds to buy and release it back then.

Edited by mikeweil

I'll look for the Black Lion then, thanks Chuck & Mike!

The Hall (yup, two "l") Overton and Monk sides are the big band At Town Hall (Riverside) and Big Band & Quartet in Concert (Columbia - the last one next to the flawed one with Nelson that still awaits a new/good reissue on CD).

The Hall (yup, two "l") Overton and Monk sides are the big band At Town Hall (Riverside) and Big Band & Quartet in Concert (Columbia - the last one next to the flawed one with Nelson that still awaits a new/good reissue on CD).

You bet me to it! The 1994 Columbia Legacy double CD of Big Band and Quartet in Concert is still available from some US sites, has the complete concert and sounds fine, to my ears. I would hate to live without it!

p.s. just checked CD Universe and found they sell the double for $ 7.85!!! Go get it. Type the album title in the search field on top of the page and you'll get a direct hit!

Edited by mikeweil

Like Hal Overton and Monk

Which records are these? :blush:

You bet me to it! The 1994 Columbia Legacy double CD of Big Band and Quartet in Concert is still available from some US sites, has the complete concert and sounds fine, to my ears. I would hate to live without it!

p.s. just checked CD Universe and found they sell the double for $ 7.85!!! Go get it. Type the album title in the search field on top of the page and you'll get a direct hit!

Thanks gents. :tup

Is there anything else on Freedom other than the one recording in Zurich ("Blues for Africa")?

No!

THIS one is on Freedom, too.

c33047xe807.jpg

Yeah, but that one's in quartet, I was only talking of solo albums... and I mentioned "Carnival" earlier, it's one of my favourite Westons! :tup

I wish Black Lion would finally get around and issue the complete Montreux performance!

I wish Black Lion would finally get around and issue the complete Montreux performance!

I never even thought there could be more...

RANDY WESTON SEXTET

July 5 1974

Congrès Montreux

Randy Weston (p)

Billy Harper (ts, fl)

William Allen (b)

Don Moyer (dr, perc)

Steve Barrios (congas)

Ahmed Abdul Malik (oum, b)

1. Carnival (12:40)

2. Mystery Of Love (17:41)

3. Isma (16:50)

4. Ellington Medley (07:25)

5. Sahel (27:25)

Total Timing : 01:22:01

source: http://www.montreuxsounds.com/detail2006.php?fiche=266

There were other Weston concerts at Montreux:

1985 (w/African Rhythms), 1988 (w/Monty Alexander), 1994 (solo), and 1995 (with the Gnawa's of Tangier)

Tonight I'll dream of a little box set, but I guess that will never ever happen...

• 3 weeks later...

The only sideman appearances Weston ever made were:

1 - early in his career with the Joe Morris band on Atlantic

2 - on Johnny Coles EPIC LP (either uncredited or the tracks remained unissued - the Koch CD has it all with correct credits)

3 - one track on Charles Mingus and Friends in Concert

4 - the two Talib Kibwe CDs

what about Roy Brooks "Duet in Detroit"?

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever you read about Booker Ervin, you inevitably bump into a phrase that reads something like this: "Booker Ervin's Texas Tenor with its distinct cry ..."

Well, I start to get :bad: after reading the word "cry" in association with Booker too many times, but ... damn! Listen to the track "African Cookbook" from the album of the same name. That "cry" finally amounts to something meaningful. One of Booker's best, and simplest, solos ever, I'd say. The whole track is a bitch. Get the album if you're a Weston fan and don't have it.

And, yeah, the Black Lion ... it's harder to find these days, but worth the hunt.

• 6 years later...

Cool. I've been following Weston a long time, ever seen I heard his group (on the radio) performing at the Chicago Jazz Festival around 1991. He had just put out the large and magnificent Spirits of our Ancestors--my first album of his and probably still my favorite. Weston got on that great run, starting with the "Portraits" albums, where he summed up all his possibilities as player, composer, and visionary. Loved so much from that era, but also went back to discover some great records from the early career: Liitle Niles, African Cookbook, and others.

The last really good record he's made (IMO) is Zep Tepi.

I have seen him in concert four times (twice solo), and it was fantastic each time.

The ablum with Harper sounds intriguing. It will naturally be comparped to The Healers--the duet records with David Murray.