Cannonball Adderley

Jim Alfredson

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an enormous number of live recordings listed in the Lord disco. Too much of a good thing for me. 

Cannonball' group was recorded live a lot more often than others, which says much about his popularity.

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

When you do, ask them to also add the Cannonball record with Cleanhead. It was on Riverside, but you know, this being a Cherry Red thing and all....

There was a Landmark reissue of that one, too. Keepnews exchanged two takes as the original tapes were missing, but the differences are minimal.

R-2734891-1518609561-1409.jpeg.jpg

R-2510118-1287944733.jpeg.jpg

The Fresh Sound CD has all the takes (needledrops where necessary)::

R-13498793-1555344095-5933.jpeg.jpg

13 hours ago, felser said:

Here is the contact.  I will send something to them, and let you know if I hear anything back:

Send us your ideas for our next release: ideas@cherryred.co.uk

Email sent, generally proposing the two boxes (live/"live" and studio) we'll see what happens.

I got a positive response from Cherry Red, saying they would consider the sets, and asking my thoughts on which of their family of labels would be the best home for them.  I'll let you know if I hear anything more from them.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:23 PM, JSngry said:

When you do, ask them to also add the Cannonball record with Cleanhead. It was on Riverside, but you know, this being a Cherry Red thing and all....

I haven't followed this thread since late era Cannon isn't my go-to, but damn this made me smile on a shitty work day.

:g

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I am obsessed with Cannonball's between-tune banter on his live albums.  I would love a whole album of nothing but this, assuming there is enough.

In the meantime, there is this:

Reminds me of Dimitri from Paris...except perhaps better.

37 minutes ago, JSngry said:

That one was a pop hit. 

#13 on the pop album charts, and the single hit #11.  The album also won a grammy.  'Jazz Workshop Revisited' (#11, with "The Jive Samba') and the album with Nancy Wilson (#30) also did very well on the pop charts, as did the "African Waltz" single (#41).

• 9 months later...

Today, on a rare (for me) record shopping excursion, I picked up for very cheap the double Verve CD of Cannonball's Emarcy small group sessions.  It contains four albums: 

• Sophisticated Swing
  • Enroute
  • Sharpshooters
  • To the Ivy League from Nat

I have only one of these on LP. Looking forward to spinning! 

9 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Today, on a rare (for me) record shopping excursion, I picked up for very cheap the double Verve CD of Cannonball's Emarcy small group sessions.  It contains four albums: 

• Sophisticated Swing
  • Enroute
  • Sharpshooters
  • To the Ivy League from Nat

I have only one of these on LP. Looking forward to spinning! 

Got it when it came out, a great release.  I prefer this era of Cannonball myself.