Cannonball Adderley

Jim Alfredson

What's the scoop on "Nancy Wilson & Cannonball Adderley"?

Stone classic. Buy it YESTERDAY. ;)

I bought it today, is that ok? ;)

Let me answer my own question. It's more than OK. It's pretty dang good. Nancy Wilson has a great voice and the Adderleys (yep, brother Nat is there too) are in fine form.

The first 7 of 12 tracks have Nancy Wilson and the rest have:

Cannonball, alto

Nat, cornet

Joe Zawinul, piano

Sam Jones, bass

Louis Hayes, drums

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the high regard for the Wilson/Adderly album, it's a doozy from start to finish. NOT merely a formula ballads album, that much is for sure. Truly varied, with some wonderful arrangements. I've always absolutely loved the version of "Never Will I Marry" on this recording, a really interesting tune structurally that is given the kind of regal treatment it deserves.

Edited by DrJ

• 8 years later...

I'll reach for "Know What I Mean" if I'm in the mood for Bill Evans, but not if I'm in the mood for Cannonball, if you know what I mean... ;)

Ok, digging up this thread. I'm trying to understand what OK means in the somewhat cryptic liner notes to the 2001 edition. Both tracks of "Know What I mean" are noted as bonus tracks (well, only on the back liner tray). Not that I am all that bound to the past, but this would suggest there is no way to recreate the original LP if one chose to. Some version of "Know what I mean" ended the original LP, but then on this CD, there is a different version (less edited version of the original track?) and a different take? Or track 8 is basically the LP version? Maybe I am just thinking about this too hard. You know what I mean?

312KFG4DF1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Edited by ejp626

I once owned a later Cannonball Capitol album called "The Happy People." Really nice Brazilian date (David Axelrod production) with George Duke, Airto and Flora Purim, along with Cannon's regular band. I've regretted selling the LP, and have not seen it reissued on CD.

I'll reach for "Know What I Mean" if I'm in the mood for Bill Evans, but not if I'm in the mood for Cannonball, if you know what I mean... ;)

Ok, digging up this thread. I'm trying to understand what OK means in the somewhat cryptic liner notes to the 2001 edition. Both tracks of "Know What I mean" are noted as bonus tracks (well, only on the back liner tray). Not that I am all that bound to the past, but this would suggest there is no way to recreate the original LP if one chose to. Some version of "Know what I mean" ended the original LP, but then on this CD, there is a different version (less edited version of the original track?) and a different take? Or track 8 is basically the LP version? Maybe I am just thinking about this too hard. You know what I mean?

312KFG4DF1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Idon't have the 2001 version, but I believe that the March 13, 1961 take of "Know What I Mean" (4:55 on the CD; 4:51 on the LP) was included on the original LP. The January 27,1961 version of "Know What I Mean" (7:01 on the CD) is an added track on CD.

I once owned a later Cannonball Capitol album called "The Happy People." Really nice Brazilian date (David Axelrod production) with George Duke, Airto and Flora Purim, along with Cannon's regular band. I've regretted selling the LP, and have not seen it reissued on CD.

I agree, this is a nice one. There is hope that there is a chance it may come out from Japan in the next few years, as they seem finally to be releasing Capitol Cannonball dates not yet on cd.

I don't have the 2001 version, but I believe that the March 13, 1961 take of "Know What I Mean" (4:55 on the CD; 4:51 on the LP) was included on the original LP. The January 27,1961 version of "Know What I Mean" (7:01 on the CD) is an added track on CD.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Early one morning in 2009, I heard Nat Adderley's Jive Samba on the radio.

It took me almost 3 months to track down the exact recording. I found it on the live album Cannonball Adderley Sextet: Lugano, 1963.

712nStsLZfL.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHFn0vHF6-c

This was the single album that got me interested in jazz, and I love just about every other album he's done with this sextet, featureing Nat Adderley, Yusef Lateef, Joe Zawinul, Sam Jones, and Louis Hayes.

Edited by Leroy Bad

Same here! Fabulous band!

Or bandS. Cannonball obviously had a strong enough sense of self to hire tenor/flute players like Lateef and Lloyd who could potentially upstage him. For me, Lateef is the highlight of the Jazz Icons DVD.

Edited by Pete C

Same here! Fabulous band!

Or bandS. Cannonball obviously had a strong enough sense of self to hire tenor/flute players like Lateef and Lloyd who could potentially upstage him. For me, Lateef is the highlight of the Jazz Icons DVD.

Well, I was specifically talking of the sextet with Lateef - don't think Lloyd is up on the same level, sorry.

But then I know just that weird concept/musical album (Fiddler on the Roof) which may not show that band its best...

Well, I was specifically talking of the sextet with Lateef - don't think Lloyd is up on the same level, sorry.

But then I know just that weird concept/musical album (Fiddler on the Roof) which may not show that band its best...

I certainly agree about the relative merits of Lateef and Lloyd at the time they were with Cannonball. Lateef was already a mature player with a track record and was, IMO, of equal stature to Cannonball. But I actually do like much of the Fiddler album. The rhythm section is really tight, and Nat is particularly good on much of it.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been digging Accent On Africa and 74 Miles Away lately. Joe Zawinul's contribution to Adderley's musical output can't be overstated, in my opinion. (Adderley Plays Zawinul is a great comp. Still available cheaply, too.)

I also think Domination is seriously under-remarked.

adderl_cann_accentona_101b.jpgadderl_cann_74milesaw_102b.jpg51vHGOAwsRL.jpg

• 7 years later...
On 8/28/2003 at 8:22 AM, kh1958 said:

I like one of his late recordings, Inside Straight, a really nice live concert in a studio recording.

I finally acquired this 1973 album. Wasn't on my radar for ... almost forever.

R-1133665-1254428167.jpeg.jpgR-1133665-1421275131-7807.jpeg.jpg

Orrin Keepnews' notes are (not surprisingly) self-congratulatory, though I thought this was an interesting side note to the "live in the studio" production:

"In any event, food (some magic soul food and even more magical brownies, dished up by Spencer Moore, the urbane chef provided by Cannonball), drink, furnishings and people added up to that word they always use to describe good French restaurants — ambience. It was ambient as all hell in there, and you can hear it, and all of us, on the record."

• Cannonball had his own chef?

• And who are "they" that are always describing French restaurants?

The music is tight and fun. Good grooves. Nothing particularly earth shattering, but it's feel-good music nonetheless — especially significant in a time like this. What a gig this must have been to attend. I think Hal Galper is the X-factor here; his sound (different than Zawinul's or George Duke's) makes the record. And Walter Booker's "Saudade" is one hip composition.