johnny mercer + cohn/newman/green selects

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice — thanks for the heads-up. Let's hope that Mosaic continues to mine the RCA and Columbia vaults for LPs that have yet to see issue on compact disc.

And — as the label is under the RCA umbrella — I still want to see a Flying Dutchman Select!

And — as the label is under the RCA umbrella — I still want to see a Flying Dutchman Select!

i'm not sure if you're serious or not. you think mosaic would go there? there's been a low key flying dutchman reissue series in europe over the past few years. i had to go for the oliver nelson titles ('skull sessions' [replete with its heavy metal looking coverart], 'afrique', and 'swiss suite') myself.

f156447zjgw.jpg

Al — you'll dig it. All of those RCA albums have come out through Fresh Sounds, but I'm sure the Select will have much better sound. All of the dates are in-the-groove Basie-inspired swing. The Newmans are my favorite of the lot, but each one has its highlight — especially when Al Cohn plays bass clarinet!

Ether — I actually was serious. Mainly, I want to see John Carter's Flight for Four be re-reissued, and I'm thinking, at this stage, its only hope might be a Mosaic Select, coupled with Horace Tapscott's The Giant is Awakened and some other recordings (?) of this type. (I have the old RCA/Novus comp., and it could use some sonic updating.) Very doubtful, I know, but it's a thought.

Mainly, I want to see John Carter's Flight for Four be re-reissued, and I'm thinking, at this stage, its only hope might be a Mosaic Select, coupled with Horace Tapscott's The Giant is Awakened and some other recordings (?) of this type. (I have the old RCA/Novus comp., and it could use some sonic updating.) Very doubtful, I know, but it's a thought.

That cd omitted one title from the Bradford/Carter record AND there was a 2nd Bradford/Carter titled Self Determination Music on Flying Dutchman.

Mainly, I want to see John Carter's Flight for Four be re-reissued, and I'm thinking, at this stage, its only hope might be a Mosaic Select, coupled with Horace Tapscott's The Giant is Awakened and some other recordings (?) of this type. (I have the old RCA/Novus comp., and it could use some sonic updating.) Very doubtful, I know, but it's a thought.

That cd omitted one title from the Bradford/Carter record AND there was a 2nd Bradford/Carter titled Self Determination Music on Flying Dutchman.

That's good to know. Was Self Determination Music by the same quartet? Bruz Freeman and Tom Williamson are, in my book, the most unsung "rhythm" section in the entirety of music.

Sorry to not be posting on topic. -_-

That's good to know. Was Self Determination Music by the same quartet? Bruz Freeman and Tom Williamson are, in my book, the most unsung "rhythm" section in the entirety of music.

Sorry to not be posting on topic. -_-

Same band. It's been a while since I played it. Might be a second bass player - just foggy memory.

I have all the material on the Cohn/Neman/Green so I'll sit tight. The "Jazz Tribune" two cd version of the Newman lps sounds fantastic. . .no need for me to upgrade (this is my favorite of this material).

This being one of my absolute favorite CDs (the "Jazz Tribune" twofer), I'd love to find out if the Mosaic remastering has better sound. So whenever anyone has both, I'd love to hear from them if there is a noticeable difference - which I suspect there might be, although the sound quality on that RCA/BMG France release is pretty darn good.

Edited by neveronfriday

It was not Fresh Sound who put out all these RCA cd's but RCA/BMG Spain. You're talking about the involvement of Jori Pujol (owner of Fresh Sound) who only produced them for release (just like our own MC does for the BN material etc.).

Except that I doubt that Jordi Pujol - or whoever was taking care of the audio - was not working from the original tapes. Sound on most of the Spanish RCA CDs I have heard does not compare with the audio of the original RCAs by a very long shot!

It was not Fresh Sound who put out all these RCA cd's but RCA/BMG Spain. You're talking about the involvement of Jori Pujol (owner of Fresh Sound) who only produced them for release (just like our own MC does for the BN material etc.).

Except that I doubt that Jordi Pujol - or whoever was taking care of the audio - was not working from the original tapes. Sound on most of the Spanish RCA CDs I have heard does not compare with the audio of the original RCAs by a very long shot!

OK, that all makes sense. Bluerein, you put the words right into my mouth. :D

And ... the track "Shameful Roger" — whew! Newman kills it, even though the tune's quite short, on that track. I imagine Mingus laughing his ass off while listening to that track. I think he would have loved that type of trumpet playing.

:rhappy:

And to comment on what brownie said — yes. The sound on the Spanish RCA Joe Newman sessions is pretty mediocre. Very boxed in and lifeless (though not the music!). I imagine the Mosaic Select will deliver a vast sonic improvement.

The sound on all my Spanish RCA CDs is mediocre at best. Most of them sound as if noise reduction was applied, they're dead as a dodo. I wonder who's to blame, Jordi Pujol or someone at BMG/RCA.

Edited by J.A.W.