Other John Patton discs ?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be fair, the search function on this site doesn't always work right!

Then you go to Google and enter Organissimo Forums and type in John Patton. On the other hand, I believe the "disfunction" of the Org search function involves 4 letter (or fewer) words. Patton should return some results, though I admit I didn't try it.

Time to use the search function.

Do you really believe stuff like this hasn't been discussed many times. This site is a great repository of organ related stuff and you need to explore it.

Thank you for the warm welcome

Ritalin run out this week ?

I think I asked a fair question.

If I entered a bb called "organissimo" I would spend some time exploring. If not using the search function, I'd at least explore all the various topics and sub-threads. Sorry if I bent your corner.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I only got Along Came John within the past month. (I'm surprised they had let me on this forum for so long without owning a Patton record.) That title track is incredible.

I just got This One's For Ja, which is also excellent.

I'm thinking it's Mosaic Select time!

My favs:

Understanding

Oh Baby!

The Way I Feel

Got A Good Thing Goin'

Was recently introduced to Big John Patton "Along came John" and love it. Any other Big John discs like this or other artist (minus Jimmy, Freddy Roch, Willette etc.) ? Cheers in advance

Just to hop in here.... I'm pretty biased, but I don't think Big John ever made a bad recording. All his solo releases are worth having for sure. Of those that are currently in print, Let Em Roll and Got A Good Thing Goin' are going to be great to add to your collection. Start there and I think you'll be wanting more soon.... :D

Do you really believe stuff like this hasn't been discussed many times. This site is a great repository of organ related stuff and you need to explore it.

If I entered a bb called "organissimo" I would spend some time exploring. If not using the search function, I'd at least explore all the various topics and sub-threads. Sorry if I bent your corner.

To be frank, your elitist attitude is very depressing and this will be my last post here! I take care of my father 18 hours a day who is in hospice with cancer and dont have the time to explore right now. And they wonder why jazz is a dying artform!

Was recently introduced to Big John Patton "Along came John" and love it. Any other Big John discs like this or other artist (minus Jimmy, Freddy Roch, Willette etc.) ? Cheers in advance

Just to hop in here.... I'm pretty biased, but I don't think Big John ever made a bad recording. All his solo releases are worth having for sure. Of those that are currently in print, Let Em Roll and Got A Good Thing Goin' are going to be great to add to your collection. Start there and I think you'll be wanting more soon.... :D

Just won Let 'em Roll on ebay. Crazy price but it was a promo mono copy still in the baggy. (yeah I'm bragging) Couldn't resist!!! One of those LP's I'm prepared to mortgage the house for, primarily for the excessively joyous track Latona. It's one of those pieces that just makes you grin like a kid. I got into Patton long after getting into organ jazz from the groove-funk side of things. Unlike the Jimmy Smith stylists, I never get bored of his style. Not flashy. Kind of meandering, thinking out loud, but in a nice spontaneous way. He's unique cos he's quite introspective without being afraid to get down and dirty - makes the groove much more interesting.

To be frank, your elitist attitude is very depressing and this will be my last post here! I take care of my father 18 hours a day who is in hospice with cancer and dont have the time to explore right now. And they wonder why jazz is a dying artform!

Hey hang around, don't go! Speaking for myself I apprecaite any number of Patton threads. I started a thread on Eric Kloss once when there was already a thread existing that I hadn't yet seen. One guy just kindly replied giving me the link to the thread. End of story. It was a fair point, politely made, whereas Chucks was a fair point badly made. I searched about and excluding this thread there are loads of other Patton threads that may interest you. Several are by resident Patton fan Soul Stream: the Patton Corner

John Patton's Hammond B3 and

John Patton's "Oh Baby", what a great record

Plus loads more:

John Patton CD alert!!!!!

Big John Patton JRVGs

John Patton Mosaic Select

Big John Patton, Why no hits?

Put on John Patton's "Boogaloo" right now

John Patton Wikipedia article needs our help.

Big John: accent on the blues

Happy Birthday Big John Patton, would have been 71 today

and .......

....sod this I'm giving up, the list seems endless!! I hardly think that with that many Patton threads, another one is going to matter that much. Any one want to start a thread called "Can we have too many Patton threads?" ...... er I for one don't think so

I don't think the above comments are unreasonable. Chuck could come down a lot harder if he wished. His is a fair comment.

btw, I rarely use the search function. :blush:

Unlike the Jimmy Smith stylists, I never get bored of his style. Not flashy. Kind of meandering, thinking out loud, but in a nice spontaneous way. He's unique cos he's quite introspective without being afraid to get down and dirty - makes the groove much more interesting.

I think that's one of the most insightful statements I've every heard about Patton. You really nailed it in two sentences.

Unlike the Jimmy Smith stylists, I never get bored of his style. Not flashy. Kind of meandering, thinking out loud, but in a nice spontaneous way. He's unique cos he's quite introspective without being afraid to get down and dirty - makes the groove much more interesting.

I think that's one of the most insightful statements I've every heard about Patton. You really nailed it in two sentences.

Agree. BJP is special in this way.

Thanks! Another thing about Patton I like was his choice of sidemen. Whether established names like Grant Green, Bobby Hutcherson and Harold Vick or the less well known Jimmy Ponder, Hugh Walker and Harold Alexander, his groups always seemed to gel organically, from the roots up, as if he put a lot of thought into the combined chemistry of each player. (I don't know if he did or not - it's just my impression). When I listen to my favourite Patton LPs, Let 'em roll, That Certain Feeling and Understanding, it's like there's something more going on than simply him "leading" and them "supporting". The lack of "ego" under Patton's stewardship seemed to free the individual players from the usual pressure to prove themselves technically (or to not outshine the leader), with the result that they all seem to explore the music a little deeper together. Some groups thrived on pressure - maybe Miles Bitches Brew group is an example - but I doubt this was the case with Patton. It's be interesting to hear what his sidemen had to say...