70s "spiritual jazz"

K1969

I tend to be quite warey when buying this genre. Too often it feaures aimless improvisations à la ancient egypt, the ankh and mother africa, for a sound a little too up its sphinx-ter for my taste. But here's an LP that won't let you down, River Nile, Pyramids 'n all:

garnet_carl_blacklove_102b.jpg

If anyone else can recommend some good spiritual stuff that avoids the mystic schlock, please let on... - or feel free to put this crusty cynic back in his place.

mclaughlin and santana did a very spiritual album early 70's. spirit, surrender, unity or something like that. too inebriate to recall. they were dressed in white on cover.

gorgeous mclaughlin guitar effort. memorable ..........house of the lord.

the rather unstructured 'summun' also contains a hair-raising 'house.'

Edited by alocispepraluger102

define "spiritual" please.

elder don clementine

ozona, fla

There's no offical take on it. It's simply jazz that is infused with a quasi religious or spiritual theme like Alice Coltrane's music or some Strata East sides. Its heavily indebted to late Coltrane for inspiration both spiritually (sorry to use the 'S' word again) and musically, often including vocal, prayer-like chanting in the back ground à la Love Supreme. The cover art often included ancient egyptian imagery like the Ankh or the Pyramids, reflecting I guess some afro centric ideology that I don't pretend to understand or know anything about:

mtume_alkebu.jpgmtume_rebirth.jpg

In the 70s there were simply thousands of small private label releases in this genre. Here's a sound file of an obscure band recently included on a Gilles Petereson compliation that typifies the sound:

World Experience orchestra, The Prayer

blackrenais_bodyminds_101b.jpg

great LP! Very much in the "S" vein. Whittaker did a nice track in a similar vibe called "This world is ours" on Teru Masahino's LP, Hip Seagul. Worth chekcing out it you like his opus Black Renaissance. Gilles Petersson called this one of the three LPs he'd jealously take to the grave!

Edited by K1969

I really like the Santana/A. Coltrane "Illuminations". . . but I'm a big Alice fan.

I'm weary. I think I might dislike Santana as much as I like Alice.

Well I generally dislike Santana outside of his blues latinboogaloo bag. But this one. . . I find that Alice's framework allows him to literally soar and I find it beautiful.

I really like the Santana/A. Coltrane "Illuminations". . . but I'm a big Alice fan.

I'm weary. I think I might dislike Santana as much as I like Alice.

Well I generally dislike Santana outside of his blues latinboogaloo bag. But this one. . . I find that Alice's framework allows him to literally soar and I find it beautiful.

What he said. :cool:

• 2 years later...