Please help...

Jim Alfredson

What is collectively known as Old Town here in Lansing is one of three finalists to win $50,000 from IKEA as part of their campaign to help downtowns. The winner is chosen by how many votes it receives. Each town had to submit a short video about what they're doing to re-vitalize the area. Old Town is basically the artistic center of Lansing, with art galleries, many festivals including the Old Town Lansing Jazz Festival (which my jazz trio organissimo just played a few weeks ago), and boutique shops. It also had one of the best live performance venues for eclectic music and art, The Creole Gallery, until it's founder and owner, Robert Busby, a dear friend of ours (and many others) was senselessly murdered this past February. It was one of organissimo's favorite places to play and has just re-opened under the control of Robert's daughter, Ena, though no live music has been scheduled.

Lansing has been hit very hard by the auto industry's troubles. Obviously I'd like to see Old Town win this award to further continue it's revitalization and help Lansing as a whole. It has become abundantly clear in the last few decades that downtowns are vital to the survival of any decent city.

So I'm asking for y'all to vote for my hometown in IKEA's contest. All you have to do is:

• Go to http://www.ikea.com/business/mainstreet

• Click the Old Town, Lansing video

• Click the "vote for this" blue button

• Under non-members, join the contest, click "register now"

• Enter your email address & register

• You will receive an e-mail from IKEA to confirm your address

• Click the link & submit your vote

• You can vote once per e-mail address & tell all your friends!

Thank you for your support.

....So I'm asking for y'all to vote for organissimo's hometown in IKEA's contest. All you have to do is go to http://www.ikea.com/business/mainstreet, watch the video, click on the "vote for this" button, and under "non-members" click register now.

Thank you.

You're welcome. How many "points" do I get toward avatar display for voting? -_-

A big thank you to everyone who helped and voted! I am very proud of my hometown winning this contest and I really think it will help further promote Old Town. As corny as it sounds, I honestly have some tears in my eyes right now thinking how proud and happy our good friend Robert Busby would be right now with the support.

Thank you again, everyone!

• 4 weeks later...