Did The RVG Thread Get Deleted?

catesta

I always believed that Kevin quoted Michael ONLY because he wanted us to know that he had a credible source that that what he relayed to us could be counted on to be as accurate as possible. I never thought there was any other motivation than that.

I always looked forward to Kevin's updates.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Jazzmoose - I'm very disappointed in Kevin.

I did not get involved in the ban Greg crap (and will never make my feelings on the matter known), and by deleting this thread he is also punishing me.

If he doesn't come back, I'll try to get in touch with Michael Cuscuna from time to time re: forthcoming reissues. I sometimes have to pester him with research questions. He is a very brave man to put up with me.

Bertrand.

Don't get me wrong: I think what Kevin did was pretty shitty.

I didn't really wanna single anyone out with my comment above, but since by keeping it overly broad I seem to have targeted more of you than I intended, I probably should add that I was primarily criticizing Brad's line - "I'm sure we can get by without his "I was talking to Michael the other day and he told me...." name dropping stuff" - which I thought was uncalled for.

Otherwise I do understand the current animosity towards Kevin's "salt the earth" style of departure...

It never really bothered me one way or the other. (the name dropping)

However, when Chris Albertson called Kevin out on why he was bringing Cuscuna's name up in that particular thread, I must say I totally agreed with him.

It definitely was not pertinent to the topic of dicsussion.

Edited by catesta

Okay, back to serious for a moment: What Kevin did in his posts in Reissues just didn't strike me as "name dropping", but as simply providing his source. You know, saying "I'm not making this stuff up; it's real." So I agree with you Ray, I can't see criticizing him for that.

Deleting the threads on the other hand was a pretty crummy thing to do. But then I guess we all agree on that anyway.

I always believed that Kevin quoted Michael ONLY because he wanted us to know that he had a credible source that that what he relayed to us could be counted on to be as accurate as possible. I never thought there was any other motivation than that.

I always looked forward to Kevin's updates.

You tell 'em 'moose ;)

Personally, I can believe what Kevin did as I did something similar over on the AAJ board.

I got pissed over the reaction of some board members when, trying to diffuse one of Karim's debacles, I posted a girlie pic. Because of the tsks tsks, I deleted the picture, posted an apology and then deleted over one hundred of my posts - all but four or five. Childish? I wouldn't deny that at all. The way I looked at it, my posts were my property. Certainly not of great value, but mine.

Needless to say, the owner of the AAJ board has now removed my ability to post. Rightfully so, I might add.

I would not have deleted a thread that had the value of the RVG thread.

Kevin seems to be a very nice guy and I hold no ill will toward him for what he has done. It was obvious that he was getting pissed over being teased for his alleged name-dropping and the Greg incident was apparently the straw that broke his camel's back.

Lesson learned? Let's stop the meanness that’s being exhibited by certain members toward our own.

Now that Kevin’s gone, whom do we pick on next?

If I ever get info from Cuscuna that I want to relate here, I will of course clear it with him first.

I thought that was self-obvious, but apparently not.

Kind of ironic, in fact. There was one piece of info (which I will keep under wraps) that Michael related to both Kevin and myself (probably around the same time) that I assumed Michael did *not* want posted on the BNBB, and I refrained from doing so. I was jaw-droppingly surprised to see Kevin mention it and, in fact, pretended it was the first I had heard of it.

I sure will miss those threads of info that Kevin gleaned from Michael. The May 1999 thread asking us which unissued BN CDs we wanted to hear was great. We actually got to pick which Blue Notes were issued!

All good things must come to an end, I guess.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Since I started some of this controversy this afternoon, I'd have to agree with RDK that my comment was probably kind of childish. However, and there's a however here, I remember something from the BNBB that really stuck in my craw once. I don't know if you remember it. Blue Note had just gotten some criticism for what they were reissuing, a Louis Prima cd comes to mind and hardbop posted something like he was disappointed or underwhelmed or whatever. Then a few weeks later Kevin said he'd just talked to Michael and he had some exciting news but then said something like I'm not going to divulge it. Of course, awhile later he did. At the time that struck me as petty and childish. A person using his so-called influence to say "I know something you guys don't and I'm not going to tell you, ha, ha." So, when he deleted his thread here, that reminded me of that incident. Yes, we'll miss his inside knowledge but I'm sure we'll get along. Plus, I'm sure he'll be sharing at AAJ so it's not like we won't have access to it.

Anyway my comment was childish and Ray was right.

Edited by Brad