What's your spending limit for a single CD?

mikelz777

What's the most you are willing to spend on a single CD?

It's great when you can find a bargain in the $4-$7 range (with shipping) but most of my purchases seem to land in the $7 to $10 range. (with shipping) When a CD is out of print and hard to find, then I'm willing to spend more but eventually there comes a limit. I once spent $23.00 on a 2-fer single CD and it bothered me to spend that much but it was something that had been out of print, was hard to find unless you were willing to spend obscene amounts and I had been looking for one several years. As it turns out, within a year, it was reissued and readily available for half that price or less. :angry: I guess we often pay for our impatience. :wacko::rolleyes:

Right now I'm looking at some CDs from a rather obscure artist whose CDs are out of print but can be had on the internet for some pretty high prices. I really like the artist (who would be new to me) and really want the CDs but not to the point that they would be indispensable or I'd die if I didn't have them. I'm trying to decide what I'd be willing to pay for them which is significantly higher than what I'm used to paying for CDs.

What's your limit?

$20 would be the top prize for a CD!

With the number of secondhand CDs easily available now, I usually wait for the bargain version!

A CD is only a CD -_-

Vinyl is a whole different world that can be much more expensive! At least it used to be until I put a stop to the indulgence!

$20 would be the top prize for a CD!

With the number of secondhand CDs easily available now, I usually wait for the bargain version!

A CD is only a CD -_-

Vinyl is a whole different world that can be much more expensive! At least it used to be until I put a stop to the indulgence!

I'm with brownie.

I think I might've paid $30 for one disc once, but can't remember for the life of me what it was!

I think I spent $25 or so for some of the OOP Hutcherson BN albums on CD. Some have not yet been reissued, though some were. I think I went up to $20 for an Andrew Hill CD when it was out of print. Then I started hanging here and got a better sense of what was going to be reissued (from BN anyway) and have generally refrained from going over $20.

In 1989 I spent $22 each in a brick and mortar on five British CDs I wanted that were not available in the US. I have also spent about the same amount for three internet British CDs I think in 2002.

I think the only other over-$20 CD I purchased was an Australian Michael Franks CD recorded live on a concert tour to promote Sleeping Gypsy. I saw Franks on that tour in Pittsburgh, and kicked myself for years because I didn't buy the LP when I saw it in a store. That one cost me $25 from Amazon three years ago.

I just recently spent $40 on Paul Gonsalves' "Boom-Jackie-Boom-Chick" (damn those small Japanese runs), and $42 on a Polish Jazz cd that was only released on CD in Japan.

LPs on the other hand...I've yet to spend over $100 on an LP. I've sniped stuff at eBay setting my maximum bid at $200-250, but thankfully it's never reached that amount.

For new CDs from the bigs, I try to stay under $15. For the smaller independents, I usually order directly from them and don’t care about price.

In the pre-eBay days, I once spent CDN $37 on a Japanese import of Ornette Coleman’s Croydon concert. The old Hat Huts used to set me back CDN $28.Nowadays, if it’s OOP and I really, really want it, I’ll go up to $33.

Doesn't anyone consider the difference between Blue Note, Sony, etc and the guys like Ermite, Okka and the rest?

Your money might make a difference.

Still, single Okka and Eremite discs are around $20 - not expensive at all!

Where the heck are you buying 'em? Or are you getting them for free?

Okka and I sell their discs for $13 and a check of the Eremite site seems they are well below $20.

Edited by Chuck Nessa