Complete Jack Johnson Sessions?

Tjazz

The "Seven Steps To Berlin" box will be OK, but I'm sure it can't possibly haven anything even 1/4 as interesting as most of the Jack Johnson set (at least for me, anyway).

I may have to disagree with you, my friend. Have you heard this material?

It's some amazing stuff- I think a lot of the the pre-Wayne Miles recordings get overlooked and underrated. I personally am a fan of George Coleman, plus you've got some very interesting Sam Rivers here, too. I do think the quintet really came into its own w/Wayne, but don't sell this one short. Some of the most amazing rhythm section work you'll EVER hear. Maybe not the most radical or innovative period, but one worth checking out without a doubt. Tony is amazing. Herbie is amazing. Ron Carter is a rock. Excellent music. :tup:tup

Absolutely agree!

Love the My Funny Valentine/Four & More concert and the Antibes set!

Will Miles in Berlin be included in that box, too? Should be, no? That's a beautiful SOUNDING album! You get the idea you could hear a feather falling to the floor on that one! (I've got it on a japanese Sony or CBS or whatever CD, sounds marvellous).

And I never ever heard the Rivers album (and as I might not be the only one who needs this *problem* fixed, the set might hold at least one surprise...)

ubu

I meant to say that as far as PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED studio material goes, I can't imagine that the "Seven Steps To Berlin" box will have anything even half as interesting as the unreleased material from the Jack Johnson box.

I didn't mean to dis those early 60's years quite that much. I like that period, sure - who doesn't. It's just that it doesn't 'excite' me the way later Miles periods do.

I just meant to say that as far as previously unreleased studio material goes -- we've heard just about everything that's of major interest, now that the Jack Johnson box is out.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not as far as we know! Hell, they sure should!

And then, they should go on bringing us the complete sessions from all those live double albums from the 1970-74 period, too, as they will with the Live-Evil tapes.

At least one of the Fillmore albums was cut toghether from several nigths/sets.

And then they should start releasing legal reissues of many bootlegs... I never heard a note of live second quintet besides the Plugged Nickel and the Berlin stuff...

ubu

And then they should start releasing legal reissues of many bootlegs... I never heard a note of live second quintet besides the Plugged Nickel and the Berlin stuff...

The best bootleg I've heard (from the point of view of performance, and irrespective of his musical phase) is the October 28, 1967 concert in Antwerp, Belgium

If Sony could release just one of the concerts from this tour ...

And I never ever heard the Rivers album (and as I might not be the only one who needs this *problem* fixed, the set might hold at least one surprise...)

ubu

The record with Sam Rivers is fantastic. I am unfamiliar with Sam Rivers but his playing on this record is excellent. I intend to explore his own records eventually, based on his playing with Miles

As was detailed via a link to a detailed sessionography earlier in this or another thread, there is a lot of unreleased studio stuff from the On the Corner thru Get Up With It period.  But the question is, will Sony put it in a box or not?

An off-the-cuff calculation suggests at least five CDs

of the material listed on the Miles Ahead website--

and there's assuredly other material from that period lurking about. It sure

would be a shame not to have that material presented as meticulously and

wonderfully as the other Miles Columbia boxes.

I don't undersyand why they are not releasing a box of this stuff, and even more puzzling, why aren't they reissuing Pangaea and Agharta? That would make a nice little box in itself, think about it, The Complete Agharta/Pangaea or something like that. Guess they are waiting for the next generation of listeners to clear the vaults for

I don't undersyand why they are not releasing a box of this stuff, and even more puzzling, why aren't they reissuing Pangaea and Agharta? That would make a nice little box in itself, think about it, The Complete Agharta/Pangaea or something like that. Guess they are waiting for the next generation of listeners to clear the vaults for

c'mon, we all know the day will come! Wherever there is some money to be made, Sony might enter the business, sooner or later.

ubu

• 9 months later...

Not sure if this is the correct Jack Johnson thread ;) , but I wanted to add my two cents.

I got this a couple of weeks ago and have been listening to it off and on.

I think this is great music. The only thing that holds me back at all is the not always funky funk themes, but I can get over that easy enough. Some of them are actually pretty decent, although the bass/drums playing is a little rigid for my tastes (my personal complaint for most 70s era Miles).

But ... the trumpet and guitar playing is very, very strong. Both Miles and McLaughlin sound charged - this is really their album IMHO (the Sharrock bits are very cool as well).

Wish I had the time to go into more detail, but I have been very pleased with this set!

I tried to listen to the J.J. box and didn't like it. It is not essential for Miles' fans (or any other music fans). It's digs to much into technical detailes. In addition to being boring this attitude is like showing all the tricks of a magician.

Damn, guess I'll have to toss my copy. And I was enjoying it, too......

• 2 months later...

But ... the trumpet and guitar playing is very, very strong. Both Miles and McLaughlin sound charged - this is really their album IMHO (the Sharrock bits are very cool as well).

Wish I had the time to go into more detail, but I have been very pleased with this set!

Me too! I got it as a Christmas present last year, but only recently did I start to delve into it... and I'm loving it, Miles' playing in particular.

As was detailed via a link to a detailed sessionography earlier in this or another thread, there is a lot of unreleased studio stuff from the On the Corner thru Get Up With It period.  But the question is, will Sony put it in a box or not?

An off-the-cuff calculation suggests at least five CDs

of the material listed on the Miles Ahead website--

and there's assuredly other material from that period lurking about. It sure

would be a shame not to have that material presented as meticulously and

wonderfully as the other Miles Columbia boxes.

Aren't there rumors afoot that Sony is now considering a later (1972-74 or 75) Miles box?

Edited by ghost of miles

More than Rumors, though still something short of something you can bank on. Can't cite the quote at the moment, but none other than Bob Beldon himself said their was gonna be an 8th box, dealing with post-"Jack Johnson" material from the 70's. (I'll leave it to someone else to dig up the citation.)

Here's a quote from Cuscuna, from the latest True Blue catalog:

"Bob Belden and I have also been able to put together several sets from important live recordings by Miles from Carnegie Hall (1961), the Blackhawk (1961), the Plugged Nickel (1965), and The Fillmore East (1970). And we are by no means done. Bob Belden and Adam Holzman have prepared a 6-CD set of the Cellar Door recordings, and Antibes '69 still needs to be addressed. Then there's a vast amount of Miles from 1972 on."

A "vast amount"? Hmmm ...

:rlol

Picked up the JJ Set 2 weeks ago after a few months of deliberation. I never like tMiles 70s "electric" output. But boy, what a fantastic set to enjoy Miles and J McLaughlin playing at the absolute peak of their power. The "riffs" are contemporary and modern. I can really say all the hip hop/ acid jazz stuff was invented here :rolleyes: .

For the record, my favourite jazz period are the acoustic jazz from the 50s to mis 60s

• 1 month later...

I finally caught up with this set...had purposely avoided hearing the original JACK JOHNSON LP so I could come to the box fresh and with open ears.

I started with the original LP and...wow. I mean...wow. It's hard for me to see how anyone could say they don't enjoy this music and recognize these two tracks for the masterworks they are. Thus far I find it far more realized and powerful than anything on BITCHES BREW, for sure.

I've just now started to work through the "source material" on disc 1 and certainly there are some dead spots, but also lots and lots of fascinating moments. Worth it as a hack guitarist just to study John McLaughlin's work throughout, setting a new standard. You can definitely hear the wellspring he was for so many slightly younger players who came shortly after.

I started with the original LP and...wow. I mean...wow. It's hard for me to see how anyone could say they don't enjoy this music and recognize these two tracks for the masterworks they are.

Same here but I come from more of a rock background. I was browsing through Borders one day with some gift certs to burn and ended up picking the Miles Davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson CD. I don't know why. I had Kind of Blue, which was cool but kinda foreign to me. I put it on and was really flabbergasted by how much I loved it. I slowly started picking up the MD Columbia boxes. I loved just about all of the material on the JJ box set. To each his own.

The Jack Johnson material is what got me interested in jazz ... I'm only starting to understand the language now but I'm looking forward to many more years of enjoyment.

I started with the original LP and...wow. I mean...wow. It's hard for me to see how anyone could say they don't enjoy this music and recognize these two tracks for the masterworks they are. Thus far I find it far more realized and powerful than anything on BITCHES BREW, for sure.

Exactly my thoughts, DrJ. I've been listening to this set a lot in the past week, and I much prefer it to BITCHES BREW (not that I don't enjoy that set as well)... This might be my favorite electric Miles of all. Certainly I think he's at the top of his trumpet-playing game here.

I think this is a very good set, it certainly SOUNDS fantastic as well. . . . I've just really become bored over the years with the actual lp itself. I mean I bought this on vinyl so very long ago, and it's very cool, but sort of hasn't held up for me over the years as a big favorite. I really enjoy this set for the other material: the material with Pascoal is really neat as I've always enjoyed the little snippets released before, and "The Mask" I just love, have always loved the thematic/material since I first bought "Miles at Fillmore"!

In my opinion nothing here quite matches the original "Bitches Brew" session material, BUT I prefer almost all of it to the extra material in that box set. Which is the reverse of my feelings about the Jack Johnson box! :huh:

Edited by jazzbo