Tattoo

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two that I want, both of which show how crazy I truly am, and why, if I ever do run for political office, you most definitely shouldn't vote for me. But here goes...

1) Thing #1 & Thing #2 (from the Cat in the Hat) doing the Jerry Bear dance around my arm.

2) a spider web with a spider crawling down from the edge with a whacked out, cartooned out me caught in the middle, this one on my shoulder.

I have three tattoos. The first one is Harley Davidson wings around a purple rose, located on my upper left arm. The second one is a unicorn, located on the inside of my right ankle. The third is a shooting star, located on my left hip. The shooting star is my favorite since my daughter has a matching one on her hip. I'll be getting one more. My son and I have been trying to come up with something to match that we both like. (Mr. Hadi-Blues hates all three. Wait till he finds out I'm planning a 4th one)

• 3 years later...

I don't have any tattoos myself (nor does my wife), but I have given it a little thought, every now and then. Trouble is that I'm kind of a lard-ass (about 25-40 lbs overweight), and all the tattoo subject I'd consider having done would be on a 'canvas' that wouldn't really be worth putting them on.

If I was even the least bit svelte looking, I might half-way consider getting one. Then again, what to get??? Maybe a music-related design of some sort? Nah... I’d be more likely to get a small reproduction of some design element by Frank Lloyd Wright (y’all know who he is, I assume), Charles Rennie Macintosh (an important Scottish architect based primarily in Glasgow, who was similar to FLW in some ways), or perhaps Louis Sullivan (famous and important Chicago architect, whom FLW apprenticed under) --- all three of whom were important architects between 1875 and 1950 (roughly speaking).

In any case, something related to architecture or industrial design. Probably not the most typical subject matter for a tattoo, I’m sure.

Holy crap, I'd completely forgotten about having posted this (above).

Never the less, I just found this thread while searching for the subject of tattoos on this very board -- because, of all things, I'm (still) toying with the idea of getting a tattoo, perhaps for my 40th birthday (coming up in March of 2009).

And going on four (4!) years later, I'm still thinking of some sort of architecture-related design, particularly something Sullivanesque (having to do with the style of Louis Sullivan). Maybe a continuous band (design) around my forearm.

What I need is some help in determining what kinds of architecture-related designs/motifs would look good in two-dimensional form. I do have a good (and skilled) artist friend who could maybe help in that area. And come to think of it, she also has a keep interest in architecture.

Any advice from any of you to a "first-time, never-had-a-tattoo-before" kinda guy like myself??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I remember way back when when I wore platform shoes and had a pair of cuffed, bell-bottomed pants in a red, white and blue plaid. I thought they were so cool (they actually did fit in with the times) and I was proud to wear them, even excited to wear them because they looked cool and made me feel cool. After a while, they weren't as cool as they used to be and eventually, I wouldn't even wear them.

Fads come and go and my tastes and ability to make good choices fluctuate as well. I can't think of a single thing or image that is so compelling to me that I feel I must etch it onto my body permanently. I've never had a tattoo and I never will. I'd take the fact that you've been indecisive about doing it and indecisive about what design you'd like for over 4 years to be a warning flag. You've made it 38 years without one, why start now? What would it mean to you or what would it commemorate that would make this act or image so ultimate that you'd be willing to commit to having it on your body for as long as you live? Is it still going to be cool when you're 50? 60? 70?

This is just one man's opinion but I would recommend not doing it.

I remember way back when when I wore platform shoes and had a pair of cuffed, bell-bottomed pants in a red, white and blue plaid. I thought they were so cool (they actually did fit in with the times) and I was proud to wear them, even excited to wear them because they looked cool and made me feel cool. After a while, they weren't as cool as they used to be and eventually, I wouldn't even wear them.

Fads come and go and my tastes and ability to make good choices fluctuate as well. I can't think of a single thing or image that is so compelling to me that I feel I must etch it onto my body permanently. I've never had a tattoo and I never will. I'd take the fact that you've been indecisive about doing it and indecisive about what design you'd like for over 4 years to be a warning flag. You've made it 38 years without one, why start now? What would it mean to you or what would it commemorate that would make this act or image so ultimate that you'd be willing to commit to having it on your body for as long as you live? Is it still going to be cool when you're 50? 60? 70?

This is just one man's opinion but I would recommend not doing it.

This is the very same argument I used with my son, and it worked. Unfortunately I have one piercing...so I couldn't use the same argument for piercing.

At the moment my son has two piercings.

I don't have any tattoos myself (nor does my wife), but I have given it a little thought, every now and then. Trouble is that I'm kind of

And going on four (4!) years later, I'm still thinking of some sort of architecture-related design, particularly something Sullivanesque (having to do with the style of Louis Sullivan). Maybe a continuous band (design) around my forearm.

Sullivanesque? Here ya go-

231592qvYU_w.png

It's funny that men are put off by wearing a wedding ring. I thought it would fuck me up too since I'm a musician and any change in my hands is instantly noticeable.

For the first three months I felt like I had a bandaid on constantly. I used to take it off in the shower and futz around with it all the time.

Now, after over a year, I don't notice it at all. We are creatures of habit. If you just wore it, you'd get used to it eventually.

Possible solution for those guys who don't like wearing the ring: get the ring tatooed on. Both manly and

uxorious.

Just discovered this thread.

Useless. :cool:

No Corto Maltese tatoo, Porcy?

Well, I also skipped this thread when it first came up since I could never comprehend the urge to get a tattoo.

But on the issue of wearing a wedding band - I was like Jim A. - never having worn a ring before, it was a weird feeling that just took some time to get used to. It felt weird originally, now it feels weird if I take it off. I've always taken it off in the shower though - I don't like the sensation of slapping my skull while I shampoo. So I leave it with my glasses while I shower. On the other hand, if my wife needs to take her rings off, they never leave her body - she holds them in her teeth. That's how important the symbol of our vows is to her.

:D

I don't have any tats, but I have thought about getting one. I used to work with a guy who had a really cool tattoo he had had copied from the cover of an Ornette Coleman album.

My wife has contemplated tattoos, a little more seriously than I have. If she gets one, I'd like her to get one on the small of her back. For some reason, I find it VERY sexy when women have tattoos there...