jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Bill Barton

Joe Lovano playing William Walton's 'Touch Her Sweet Lips and Part' from Peter Erskines Sweet Soul. This variation on a folk tune never fails to impress me.

Altogther an excellent cd which should be better known.

Yes! I agree! That is an incredibly beautiful and moving performance.

Joe Lovano playing William Walton's 'Touch Her Sweet Lips and Part' from Peter Erskines Sweet Soul. This variation on a folk tune never fails to impress me.

Isn't that a William Walton piece from his Henry V music rather than a folk tune? (sorry...just being pedantic!)

http://www.williamwalton.net/works/film/henry_v_suite_chorus.html

I don't know that record, but Erskine also recorded it on one of the trio albums he made with John Taylor on ECM. It's a lovely tune.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Isn't that a William Walton piece from his Henry V music rather than a folk tune? (sorry...just being pedantic!)

http://www.williamwalton.net/works/film/henry_v_suite_chorus.html

I don't know that record, but Erskine also recorded it on one of the trio albums he made with John Taylor on ECM. It's a lovely tune.

Yes, it was written for Henry V. But I've always believed the melody is based on a folk tune, or maybe it's the way Lovano plays it. It's become something of a jazz standard since Erskine's version. Lord lists some 15 or 16 recordings. Apart the versions quoted above, another posiible notable recording was made by Lynne Arriale. I can recall reading a cd review not so lomg ago whiche credited the pice to Cedar Walton!

Sweet Soul is a fine album which I can recommend.

Yes, it was written for Henry V. But I've always believed the melody is based on a folk tune, or maybe it's the way Lovano plays it. It's become something of a jazz standard since Erskine's version. Lord lists some 15 or 16 recordings. Apart the versions quoted above, another posiible notable recording was made by Lynne Arriale. I can recall reading a cd review not so lomg ago whiche credited the pice to Cedar Walton!

Sweet Soul is a fine album which I can recommend.

Yes, I have that Arriale. I agree it has a folkish feel. Which is unusual for Walton who generally steered clear of the folk-influenced style of RVW, Holst and others.

I've put the record on 'save for later' on e-music for when I refresh in a few days time. Erskine did a marvellous concert at Cheltenham (or was it Bath?) about ten years back with music written specifically for a British jazz orchestra. Never appeared on disc.

Thanks for the recommendation, John.

Coltrane's Welcome: off Kula Se Mama. Such a beautiful song.

Indeed. And there's a lovely version on Santana's album of the same name.

There's a bunch of great ballads by Coltrane from that era - 'Dear Lord', 'After the Rain', 'Alabama', 'Soul Eyes'.

That's the thing about Coltrane (or any other great musicians for that matter), is that there is so much there, you never get there, if you know what I mean...

Too much good stuff this week but I'm going for -

The nght has thouand eyes by the Steve Kuhn Trio with Joe Lavano; Mostly Coltrane on ECM.

I'm always struck by the superb piano sound on Avatar studio recordings. Plaudits to James Farber (in thie instance) and James Anderson.