Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Les McCann - Yours is my heart alone; from Comment - Atlantic.

I've had this album for a long time. I think it's the best vocal album Les made. The title track is a splendid civil rights anthem - "If all men were born to be free; what about you? what about me?" And that gets me every time.

But what REALLY got me today was the last track, "Yours is my heart alone" (the Franz Lehar song). It's sung very, very slowly, and heavy with passion, but calm and completely NOT like a jazz record.

MG

Been on a Jerry Garcia kick this week. The 28 minute long "Don't Let Go" on disc 2 of "Pure Jerry: Theatre 1839 - July 29-30, 1977"just knocked me out this week. It's just a great jam that builds and has some spontaneously invented instrumental passages that make me want to go out and play in a rock and roll band.

This particular Jerry Garcia band with Keith Godchaux, John Kahn and Ron Tutt was a tight and "listening" quartet. Even Donna Godchaux sings better on these nights, I'm sure she can hear herself in a way she can't with the Dead.

Fun stuff, grooving easily along.