jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mingus Sextet - "Meditations"

I'd heard the versions from Cornell and the Jazz Workshop, but the piece never made much of an impression on me until I stumbled on this video earlier in the week (I've been on a big Mingus kick). I returned to the Cornell verison with a renewed appreciation for this truly stunning composition. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UOd4TlP7MP8

Other worthy versions of this song are on The Great Concert of Charles Mingus, Mingus at Monterey and Right Now, all from 1964 and 1965.

Was just spinning the Cornell 1964 version of this today.

Water Babies, Miles Davis, all of side one really but especially "Capricorn." I get really bored by Shorter often I must confess, but he's pure brilliance here, and clearly demonstrates he was then a master of the saxophone too.

Edited by jazzbo

"My Favorite Things" on Sun Ra's "Some Blues But Not The Kind That's Blue."

Water Babies, Miles Davis, all of side one really but especially "Capricorn." I get really bored by Shorter often I must confess, but he's pure brilliance here, and clearly demonstrates he was then a master of the saxophone too.

I loved "Water Babies" when it was first released. Side 1 got very heavy play in our little college apartment of jazz fanatics. Side 2, not so much.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Not quite the right thread for this, but I think that maybe Bunny Berigan recorded the worst song ever written in 1936: "The Goona Goo." Berigan plays well, and the instrumental parts aren't bad, but when Art Gentry started singing the lyrics I thought the floor was going to split and open a portal to hell. I'm too scared to reproduce the lyrics here, but if you're brave enough, they are here.

Booker Lttle's Out Front, all the record, with a light preference for side 2. Actually I never listen to this record before, I am pretty familiar with most of Booker's playing as sideman, but this record is an astounding surprise.

Edited by porcy62

Jazz: Roy and Diz throwing off the mutes halfway thru "Blue Moon" as the Oscar Peterson Trio fans the flames from underneath as the old lions sail off into the stratosphere!!!

Rock: Grand Funk Railroad's "Queen Bee" because of the mental image that popped into my head when I heard it, which was so insanely disturbing, I've been trying to get it out of my head. It doesn't help, unfortunately, that a very small, dark, and psychotic part of me kinda enjoys it. :ph34r:

Booker Lttle's Out Front, all the record, with a light preference for side 2. Actually I never listen to this record before, I am pretty familiar with most of Booker's playing as sideman, but this record is an astounding surprise.

I listened to Out Front and its companion recording on Bethleham very many times. Two great records.