Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The new release from Keith Jarrett and Charlie Haden - Jasmine. Track I've been listening to over and over again: Don't Ever Leave Me...beautiful!

This get my vote for this week. So refreshing to hear Jarrett play in a different setting than solo or in the standards trio. None of those hour long epics with moaning and crystalline reverb on everything (though I am a fan of ECM and some of his solo concerts), just sounds like two friends playing tunes together for family who just happen to be extremely talented.

Happened to be flipping through Rolling Stone and they mentioned that Clapton was a big fan of Derek Trucks and that one really should listen to the version of Afro Blue on Truck's new double CD Roadsongs. So I did. It's a good cover, taken at a fast clip, some guitar wankery, but overall I liked it quite a bit.

"From This Moment On" played by John Jenkins and Kenny Burrell on their self-titled Blue Note album. Jenkins playing the melody line has been stumbling around my brain for the last day, completely unidentified, until a few minutes ago when I started searching for it on Rhapsody. And, of course, it's from a CD I no longer own. Meanwhile, hundreds of CDs sit on my shelf collecting dust. {{{sigh}}}

Guest Bill Barton

On something of a Harry Beckett binge the past few days and his beautiful playing on "Maxine" with Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath (from Yes Please) is embedded in my head.

• 2 weeks later...

I've Got My Baby Back by Lorraine Ellison. Crawled into my head a couple weeks ago and hasn't left. It's still not my favorite Lorraine Ellison song, that's her piano and vocal version of Jimmy Cliff's Many Rivers To Cross. But it's getting a lot of listening time whether it's actually playing or not. And the great Sister Love 3 disk Rhino has lots more where that came from, including a jazzy session with Oliver Nelson that's unjustly maligned.

Edited by randyhersom

Listened to these two tunes this morning on my iPod while walking the neighborhood.

"Wingspan' from Mulgrew Miller CD of the same title. With Kenny Garrett, Steve nelso, Charnett Moffett,

and Tony Reedus.

"Uncle Bubba" from Sphere CD with Gary Bartz, Kenny Barron, Buster Williams and Ben Riley.

Both these tunes added immense pleasure to my 2 and1/2 mile walk.