Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chu Berry's solo on the alternate take of "Too Marvelous For Words," from the Mosaic Box. Fascinating player, significantly different from his colleagues, including Coleman Hawkins. Berry was in another place. Also, while I'm not saying this is the way he put his thing together, think of him in harmonic terms first, and it gets very interesting.

Guest Bill Barton

Two of them, one old and one new.

Abdullah Ibrahim: "Ancient Africa" from the Sackville album of the same name

&

Torben Waldorff: "Late" from American Rock Beauty (new on artistShare). Donny McCaslin's tenor on this one is sublime.

• 2 weeks later...

this is a huge one for me, i finally undertand after 29 years, and have a new profound respect for the words and music of BILLY JOEL!!!

Wow, that's right about the age I figured out what Joel was saying all these years and promptly lost all respect for his music and especially his words.

A track called "Look No Further" from an album called No Strings (With Strings by Ralph Burns and His Orchestra made me feel all kinds of melancholy. After hearing it for the first time, all I kept remembering was the Peanuts episode "She's a Good Skate, Charlie Brown," the scene where Woodstock whistles "O Mio Babbino Caro" as Peppermint Patty ice skates.

(no, I don't know squat about opera; Google and Wikipedia make finding answers so easy these days)

I've been working my way through a bunch of Special Edition live tapes this week. Lots of nice stuff but a long version of India with a lengthy oblique piano introduction by DeJohnette, followed by David Murray on bass clarinet has got to be the most arresting thing I've listened to this week.

Fantastic Mood by Cleve Lyons. This unusual, obscure Hammond B3 piece was played many years ago on the George 'Hound Dog' Lorenz radio show out of Buffalo. I can remember it from my youth, never knew what it was until I just came across it on Hound Dog's web site.

Mingus Sextet - "Meditations"

I'd heard the versions from Cornell and the Jazz Workshop, but the piece never made much of an impression on me until I stumbled on this video earlier in the week (I've been on a big Mingus kick). I returned to the Cornell verison with a renewed appreciation for this truly stunning composition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOd4TlP7MP8

Edited by colinmce

Mingus Sextet - "Meditations"

I'd heard the versions from Cornell and the Jazz Workshop, but the piece never made much of an impression on me until I stumbled on this video earlier in the week (I've been on a big Mingus kick). I returned to the Cornell verison with a renewed appreciation for this truly stunning composition. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOd4TlP7MP8

Other worthy versions of this song are on The Great Concert of Charles Mingus, Mingus at Monterey and Right Now, all from 1964 and 1965.

Edited by kh1958