My dad passed away today...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My deepest sympathies.

My father-in-law passed away from a heart attack at 61 — I was just getting to know him. We'd recently discovered a common bond through music. He told me about hearing Woody Herman and Stan Kenton in Los Angeles in the 50's — I was surprised and intrigued to hear that his father had even subbed as a replacement drummer for Kenton a couple of times. When my father-in-law passed, I didn't have the chance to learn more. I know you'll treasure the shared experiences and stories you heard from your dad. It is so great to have a dad.

When my first daughter died three years ago, I didn't think I could go on. Somehow I did, and you will too. You'll have that deep care for your family to always carry you through.

I hope I didn't type too much here. I just wanted to let you know that the human spirit is strong.

My sincere condolences, Jim.

I know how you feel about not being at home when it happened. I was out giving lessons when my dad collapsed when entering his office one afternoon, but had a strange feeling, postponed my evening lessons and went back home, and found my mother's note on the steps.

Passing away in the garden - sad for those who did find him, but what a peaceful way to go ...

I am still in shock myself. First time I met Jim's dad I liked him and I really got to know Jim "Theo" Afredson while being a guest in his home in Okemos on several occasions. Jim's dad had a lodging arrangement with me. He told me if ever on the road from Ann Arbor, Lansing, or Detroit and it was late and I was tired to call and the porch light would be on and refered to his place as the "Home For Wayward Musicians & Drummers".. I spent and enjoyed many memorable times hanging out with Theo listening to his music, his great stories, perspectives, anecdotes, his fascinating philosophies and interpretations on religion and spirituality, and my god what a sense of humor! I often told him he should write a book! He was a gift, an inspiration for me, and truly one of a kind.. For organissimo he was our most loyal fan, loved our music, and was always supportive. Organissimo and the music of our first CD was created in his basement on Okemos Road.

He deeply loved his family, music, life, people, and enjoyed every day to it's fullest measure. My deepest condolences to Venetia, Jim, Alison, Zora, Stella, and all of Jim's siblings and their children.

The love and relationship you shared with your father is very touching.........and I am deeply saddened for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man. My father died this past February. Now I can't seem to type through the tears....I'm so very sorry.

Jim,

I can't say it much better at this point than others already have. Just a couple of thoughts. First, be happy that your Dad had a chance to meet your new daughter. Second, try to focus as much as you can on what you have, not what you've lost. You clearly have lots of friends on this board who, as one, share in your loss.

Edited by Dave James