MPS Reissues - More Box Sets from Universal

king ubu

some more discographical info,

Dexter Gordon - Slide Hampton Sextet

Dizzy Reece (tp -1/4,6) Slide Hampton (tb -1/4,6) Dexter Gordon (ts) Kenny Drew (p) Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen (b) Art Taylor (d)

Copenhagen, Denmark, March 10, 1969

1. My Blues MPS (G) 15230

2. You Don't Know What Love Is -

3. A New Thing -

4. What's New? -

5. The Shadow Of Your Smile -

6. A Day In Vienna -

* Dexter Gordon - A Day In Copenhagen (MPS (G) 15230; MPS/BASF (G) CRM 698, 21 20698-1; Pausa PR 7058; Prestige PR 7763)

dizzy reece!!

------------------------------------------

Johnny Griffin Quartet

Johnny Griffin (ts, arr) Francy Boland (p) Jimmy Woode (b) Kenny Clarke (d)

Koln, West Germany, February 13, 1964

2-35491 Scrabble Philips (H) 840 447PY

2-35492 Summertime -

2-35493 Old Stuff -

2-35494 Night Lady -

2-35495 Little Man You've Had A Busy Day -

2-35496 All The Things You Are -

* Johnny Griffin - Night Lady (Philips (H) 840 447PY; EmArcy MGE 26001, SRE 66001)

recorded in my home town but this is not the only nice looking thing about it

--------------------------------------------

INGFRIED HOFFMANN QUINTET

Thomas Rene (guitar)

Hoffmann Ingfried (organ)

Kandleberger Helmut (bass)

Weiss Klaus (drums)

tracklist - only tunes where thomas plays

SIDE A

Au clair de la lune (Trad. Arranged by Hoffmann)

Jada (Carleton)

TV Swing (Kuhn)

Soul Twist (Hoffmann)

SIDE B

Lady Be Good (Gershwin)

Love For Sale (Porter)

Ingfried's Blues (Hoffmann)

It's A long Way To Tiperary (Judge-Willams)

3'41

4'19

4'19

6'12

4'17

4'13

8'25

3'49

and for the antolini:

Drums - Charlie Antolini

Bass - Jean Warland

Guitar - Siegfried Schwab

Percussion - Berni Prock

Piano - Armin Rusch

Producer - Willi Fruth

Saxophone - Heinz von Hermann , Herman Schoonderwalt

Trombone - Rudi Füsers

Trumpet - Ack Van Rooyen , Dusko Goykovich

A1 Jesus Christ Superstar (7:26)

A2 Handicraft (5:08)

A3 Punching Ball (5:48)

A4 Gringo Domingo (2:55)

B1 Scratches (6:18)

B2 Y Luego (6:38)

B3 Skinny (6:28)

B4 Gemma Ham (1:59)

Edited by Niko

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's cool that they adding these "Originals" to this low-prize series!

Earlier ones with complete albums were Clark Terry (Clark After Dark) and that other Ingfried Hoffmann album, "Hammond Bond" (which contains a full album plus some bonus tracks - on those you get Thomas but he's weaker there than the other guitar player on the main album!)

That Dexter/Hampton is one I've wanted to hear for years, will definitely look for it!

The Griffin as well, most welcome!

Also the Hoffmann of course, and maybe the Hubbard... but these keep popping up in sales here (I just got the Ellis last week, for about 6 euros - not played yet -, I doubt they'll re-stock there with the new titles though, usually the cost about 8 euros here).

there's one more in the batch i had overlooked above

ROLLIN'

FREDDIE HUBBARD

1 ONE OF ANOTHER KIND 7:38

2 HERE'S THAT RAINY DAY 6:23

3 CASCAIS 10:25

4 UP JUMPED SPRING 6:37

5 BYRDLIKE 6:38

6 BRIGITTE 4:35

7 BREAKING POINT 5:26

Freddie Hubbard – trumpet & flugelhorn / Dave Schnitter - tenor & soprano saxophone / William Childs - piano & electric piano / Larry Klein - bass & bass guitar / Carl Burnett - drums

recorded when i was three days old - any opinions on this one?

(two more complete albums in the old series were the edelhagen big band plays jimmy webb and the dizzy)

Yup, forgot the Dizzy - great one!

The Edelhagen I didn't know - anyone has an opinion? What's the exact title, and who are the soloists? (Edelhagen led a mighty fine band, so I wonder - could well be worth looking for!)

this one, it's called "up up and away"

http://www.amazon.de/Up-Away-Plays-Hits-Ji.../ref=pd_sim_m_1

arrangements by quincy jones, iirc the band with gaynair rokovic and keane, but i am not sure about that.... haven't heard it...

ROLLIN'

FREDDIE HUBBARD

Freddie Hubbard – trumpet & flugelhorn / Dave Schnitter - tenor & soprano saxophone / William Childs - piano & electric piano / Larry Klein - bass & bass guitar / Carl Burnett - drums

(two more complete albums in the old series were the edelhagen big band plays jimmy webb and the dizzy)

I don't know this recording, but it looks like the same band as on the Pablo, Live at the Northsea Jazz Festival, which is quite good.

ROLLIN'

FREDDIE HUBBARD

I don't know this recording, but it looks like the same band as on the Pablo, Live at the Northsea Jazz Festival, which is quite good.

It's a good, not great, set. Worth having.

Yup, forgot the Dizzy - great one!

The Edelhagen I didn't know - anyone has an opinion? What's the exact title, and who are the soloists? (Edelhagen led a mighty fine band, so I wonder - could well be worth looking for!)

this one, it's called "up up and away"

http://www.amazon.de/Up-Away-Plays-Hits-Ji.../ref=pd_sim_m_1

arrangements by quincy jones, iirc the band with gaynair rokovic and keane, but i am not sure about that.... haven't heard it...

now that i am finished cooking here are some more details... no idea how "commercial" this is... surprised that it was recorded in hamburg... it's roughly the great edelhagen band they showed on tv recently

Jimmy Deuchar(tp), Rick Kiefer(tp), Hanne Wilfert(tp), Shake Keane(tp,flh), Ott Bredl(tb), Manfred Gatjens(tb), Nick Hauk(tb), Jiggs Whigham(tb), Heinz Kretzschmar(sax), Manfred Lindner(sax), Karl Drevo(sax), Wilton Gaynair(sax), Kurt Aderholt(sax), Bora Rokovic(p,org,celeste), Bert Helsing(g), Peter Trunk(b), Ronnie Stephenson(dr), String section of the NDR Radio orchestra, Kurt Edelhagen(cond), Quincy Jones with J.J.Johnson(arr), Tom Scott(arr), Pete Myers(arr)

'70/6/22-24 Hamburg

UP, UP AND AWAY ; BY THE TIME I GET TO PHOENIX ; DIDN'T WE ; GALVESTON ; WHERE'S THE PLAYGROUND, SUSIE ; EVIE ; SUNSHOWER ; MacARTHUR PARK ; HONEY COME BACK ; IF YOU MUST LEAVE MY LIFE ; WICHITA LINEMAN

soloists: Shake Keane, Jiggs Wigham, Rick Kiefer, Jimmy Deuchar, Karl Drevo, Heinz Kretzschmar & Bora Rokovic

dustygroove:

A very groovy take on the work of Jimmy Webb -- a sweet instrumental set from German maestro Kurt Edelhagen -- featuring a host of hip jazz players from around the European scene, and some great arrangements by Quincy Jones! The tunes are all hits by Jimmy -- but they're redone wonderfully by Quincy -- who brings in a slightly more soulful approach overall -- one that finds all the best spaces between the notes in Webb's originals, and uses them to create a wonderfully subtle sense of groove. Instrumentation includes trumpets from Jimmy Deuchar and Shake Keane, trombone from Jiggs Whigham, saxes from Karl Drewo and Wilton Gaynair, organ and celeste from Bora Rokovic, and bass from Peter Trunk -- plus some added strings -- and Quincy gets some help on the arrangements from Tom Scott and JJ Johnson, in ways that aren't entirely clear from the notes. Titles include "Sunshower", "Galveston", "Didn't We", "Up Up & Away", "Where's The Playground Susie", "Wichita Lineman", and "Honey Come Back".

thanks for the opinions on the hubbard... !

Edited by Niko

Funny, the used books store where I just bought some used vinyl (see here) had some Musica Jazz reissues of MPS albums, including the Hubbard one with Eddie Daniels and the Dizzy Reunion Berlin one).

I've seen that Edelhagen, thought it was one of the comps, with that lousy cover.... going from the tunes they do, it should be a pretty commercial affair, but I'll get an earful when I see it next!

• 11 months later...

In some local store... otherwise I'd have mentioned it, of course! But all these Universal MPS boxes come fairly cheap over here (except for the Mangelsdorffs, which are a bit pricey).

Too bad. The Mangelsdorff's are the best of the lot, by a VERY WIDE margin.

Yes, they're great! The two 2CD sets are around cheap though, and the live one has some of the finest Mangelsdorff around!

The 5CD sets are fairly expensive (around 35€ is the best I saw), but I still had to get them, of course! Haven't made my way through all of the music yet so far.

Just in case: to have Mangelsdorff's full MPS output, you need:

- Originals Vol. 1 (5CDs, one album per CD, in a flimsy box)

- Originals Vol. 2 (same)

- Live (2CD set)

- Solo (2CD set)

- & Friends (this one came out back with the first batches of MPS reissues done by Universal, it's not duplicated in any of the more recent sets!)

In some local store... otherwise I'd have mentioned it, of course! But all these Universal MPS boxes come fairly cheap over here (except for the Mangelsdorffs, which are a bit pricey).

Too bad. The Mangelsdorff's are the best of the lot, by a VERY WIDE margin.

Yes, they're great! The two 2CD sets are around cheap though, and the live one has some of the finest Mangelsdorff around!

The 5CD sets are fairly expensive (around 35€ is the best I saw), but I still had to get them, of course! Haven't made my way through all of the music yet so far.

Just in case: to have Mangelsdorff's full MPS output, you need:

- Originals Vol. 1 (5CDs, one album per CD, in a flimsy box)

- Originals Vol. 2 (same)

- Live (2CD set)

- Solo (2CD set)

- & Friends (this one came out back with the first batches of MPS reissues done by Universal, it's not duplicated in any of the more recent sets!)

Yup, I have ALL of it. I also have the 2 double disc Originals series with 3 albums each on 2 cd's.

• 8 years later...
50 minutes ago, Pim said:

MPS is celebrating their 50th birthday. Does anyone know of they are going to reissue some stuff on cd? Or will it be streaming only?

i would die for a reissue of this one:

51CShmMjckL._SX355_.jpg

Me too.  I have only purchased one music download in my life, and it was this album.