Celeste...why?

Shawn

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raymond Fol does one tune on celeste on this great solo album:

41t6NfqWelL._SS500_.jpg

It's been released last year in the latest (last, it seems) batch of Jazz in Paris discs from Universal France. The whole recital has a ducal touch, Fol having taken the Duke's seat on one special occasion. Lovely disc, for sure!

I've always wanted to see the inside of a celeste.

I've seen photos of a vibraphone rigged with a three octave keyboard. Each key strikes a vibraphone bar with a mallet. You play it as you would a piano. I guess the idea is to be able to play larger chords, since we are mostly relegated to four note chords on the vibraphone. Some folks have worked out grips to hold more than two mallets per hand, but I haven't seen anyone use it very effectively.

I've always wanted to see the inside of a celeste.

I've seen photos of a vibraphone rigged with a three octave keyboard. Each key strikes a vibraphone bar with a mallet. You play it as you would a piano. I guess the idea is to be able to play larger chords, since we are mostly relegated to four note chords on the vibraphone. Some folks have worked out grips to hold more than two mallets per hand, but I haven't seen anyone use it very effectively.

That's essentially what a Fender Rhodes is. Instead of bars, there are little steel rods.

Yeah, a little-bitty immigrant wanted for murder in his homeland. They keep him in a cigar box when he's not stashed up under the cash register playing his little-bitty celeste. Shitty gig, but it beats the hell outta prison in his homeland.

America - the land of opportunity!

Yeah, a little-bitty immigrant wanted for murder in his homeland. They keep him in a cigar box when he's not stashed up under the cash register playing his little-bitty celeste. Shitty gig, but it beats the hell outta prison in his homeland.

Wow! :lol:

This thing was a monster. There is a reason the vibraphone looks like it does. If I find a picture, I'll post it here. Definitely nothing like a Rhodes.

I understand what you are saying though.

Oh yeah, I'd expect it to be huge!

I love it. Especially "little-bitty". Probably has crooked fingers too I bet.

I had no idea what one actually sounded like and had to find some sound clips.

Now I know what you're all talking about.....

Sugar Plum Fairy

Although this video claims the opposite, I had read somewhere that The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy was originally composed for glass harmonica.

Aha, wikipedia comes to the rescure:

"One of the best known pieces is the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy from the ballet The Nutcracker. Tchaikovsky's first draft called for glass harmonica, but he changed it to the newly-invented celesta before the work's premiere performance in 1892."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jN-kTaKEvo

• 3 weeks later...

I like Jimmy Rowles with Giuffre in "Deep Purple" (Atlantic).

The good thing of boogie played on celeste (Meade Lux Lewis with Charlie Christian Blue Note session) is that there's better "separation" between Lewis' both hands. Ideal to appreciate the left-hand bass.

More than vibes, the instrument sounds like glockenspiel to me (vibes without big pipes and rotating disks).

Telegraphically,

F

• 4 weeks later...