EURO 2008

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they play the last matches at 8.30 pm?

ned : rom - 20.45 pm (17.6.)

fra : ita - 20.45 pm (17.6.)

i think this are the two games you were wonderin' about :g

As a sidenote, and not to derail the thread in the politic minefield, so please be tolerant.

In Italy there is a growing xenophobic feeling towards romas, and rumenians in generals (yes, italians can be such ignorant that can't get the difference) because of some recent foreigner's criminals. So the government tried to approve a law to kick romenians out of Italy, (I suspect it's again constitution and human right laws and BTW we have bigger problems with italian criminals, like mafia or camorra)...whatever... it has been noted that it would be pretty ironic if italians kick romenians off Italy and Romania kick Italy off european championship.

End of the sidenote.

Let's go back to the field.

the game i'm really looking forward to is the netherlands vs. romania ... as we have already discussed the dutch team seems to peak quite early .... maybe some of the better players from the dutch team need a little break :P

I know that some people will bitch if Netherlands coasts it against Romania and the Romanian take advantage of it but France and Italy have nothing to blame but themselves, when you cumulate only 1 point in two games in those kind of competitions, you're asking for trouble.

yes, the most important thing is a good hairdo! :bwallace:

the game i'm really looking forward to is the netherlands vs. romania ... as we have already discussed the dutch team seems to peak quite early .... maybe some of the better players from the dutch team need a little break :P

uh oh ... and don't get me started on the game austria vs germany .... that one really scares the shit out of me :ph34r:

Do they play the last matches at 8.30 pm?

From now on, all the games will be played in this time slot

As a sidenote, and not to derail the thread in the politic minefield, so please be tolerant.

In Italy there is a growing xenophobic feeling towards romas, and rumenians in generals (yes, italians can be such ignorant that can't get the difference) because of some recent foreigner's criminals. So the government tried to approve a law to kick romenians out of Italy, (I suspect it's again constitution and human right laws and BTW we have bigger problems with italian criminals, like mafia or camorra)...whatever... it has been noted that it would be pretty ironic if italians kick romenians off Italy and Romania kick Italy off european championship.

End of the sidenote.

Let's go back to the field.

... they, not we, shouldn't have left the field in the first place, and they're not alone. Did you get what some Polish politician said about German player Podolski - a Poland-born German who scored against the Polish team? Ridiculous.

Or that Swiss player from Turkey being afraid of celebrating his goal against the Turkish team? He was afraid his family back there might get into trouble.

I like to watch these games but find the nationalist aspect of the whole contest all the more absurd these days. I find the concept of nationalism all the more absurd every day with migration and globalization going on the way it does. International sports contests are some of the last reservations of nationalism in our time.

So we're outside the field with one foot from the start, it seems?

Oh well .....

Now with two games over, I find the teams of the Netherlands, Portugal, and Spain to be the candidates. The Germans? It is one of their specialities to struggle in the first round and then bite through the contest. But it's not elegant soccer. The Austrians through them out of the contest in 1976 in a similar situation - a historic win of the Austrians. I'll watch that one, for sure.

The Dutch deserve it for their spirit.

The French and Italians now get the payback for their weak show in the last World Championship final - I thought neither of them really deserved it. Remember the English got theirs in the qualification!

That the Greek win four years ago was a one shot was predictable.

Edited by mikeweil

i guess you don't know this ... but regarding football there is a special relationship between austria and germany ... kickin' the great german brother out of the tournament would be even more fun to the austrians than winnin' the whole tournament :rsmile:

I didn't know that but could have guessed. There's a similar rivalry to this between Scotland and England. And England v. Germany of course. :lol:

More reasons to hate Chelsea, Cech just did a Bill Buckner

Best 'keeper in the world, bar none. They simply wouldn't be there in the first place without him.

(Agreed though - it was a horrible error!)

No offense, Red, but I think Buffon is the best one, just look at the latest WC, or even the last match with Romania.

The Germans? It is one of their specialities to struggle in the first round and then bite through the contest. But it's not elegant soccer. The Austrians through them out of the contest in 1976 in a similar situation - a historic win of the Austrians. I'll watch that one, for sure.

just a small correction: cordoba, the legendary historic win of the austrians, was in 1978 ... the game was part of the fifa wc 1978 in argentina.

even the english wikipedia has an article about this game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_cordoba

that wikipedia entry obviously has been written by someone from austria (not by someone from germany) ... only austrians like to talk about the "miracle of cordoba" ... germans usually call it the "disgrace of cordoba" :winky:

oh lord, please don't let that happen again today! :mellow:

With the first half of Germany-Austria in the books, all i can say is great drama but very poor futbol.

And both Managers got sent off to the stands. Looks like Angela Merkel had to free up a seat for her chief :lol:

If Germany lose there will be mayhem ! (but I don't think they will)