EURO 2008

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Turkish were spirited and firey, but a little too inconsistent. If the Germans had played at the top of their game it would have been harder for them. Their goals were part good luck, and being at the right place, but technically not very impressive. The German goals were perfectly played. They had serious trouble getting through the middle field which the Turks blocked very efficiently, and avoided confrontations - which I understand, as the Turkish team has the worst foul statistsic of the whole contest. They held back this time.

The end result is fair, as there was a penalty not given when Lahm was fouled before the Turkish goal.

Now we have all the Turkish people living in Germany on our side as well, as many Turkish fans said :g : Spain beware, or Russia? :ph34r:

Edited by mikeweil

Gotta say overall the quality of the games has been pretty high, they were a few games that were really tedious , but for the most teams played with a positive spirrit.

Kinda weird that during a competion where the unexpected was often au rendez-vous, we end up with a final that was somewhat predictable.

i've just heard on the german radio that michael ballack might not be able to play the final on sunday. he seems to have problems with his right calf muscle. he missed the team training today and nobody knows if he will be able to play the game on sunday. :(

i've just heard on the german radio that michael ballack might not be able to play the final on sunday. he seems to have problems with his right calf muscle. he missed the team training today and nobody knows if he will be able to play the game on sunday. :(

I'm sure Ballack will play, even if he needs a wheelchair.

This maybe explains why Ballack was so useless during the last game.

the thing about ballack is this: he is not only important as a central midfielder but also as a goal scorer. in fact, in his caps for the national team he has a game/goal ratio as good as many full-time strikers. so far ballack has made about 85 games for the national team and scored about 40 goals. and, he is not the kind of player who makes the useless 4:0 or 5:0, he is the kind of goal scorer who makes the important 1:0 or 2:1. <_<

Edited by user0815

Spain definitely deserved to win, they dominated the game. It could easily have been 3-0. Germany did well to reach the final.

An excellent tournament all round and good to see Spain win something major after many years (I think '64 was the last time). They should be a team to watch at the next World Cup.

I watched the game, and though by no means do I fully understand football it was obvious to me that Spain was the better team. The speed of the Spanish players overpowered the Germans on both sides of the ball, and the Spanish offensive possessions were consistently more threatening. Germany had no room to operate when they did get the ball in the Spaniard's zone.

I very much enjoyed this tournament, as I caught several games at a pub near my old job. Looking forward to the World Cup in 2010!

Agree with most of the comments above.

Now, bring on the qualifications for the World Cup.

New Euro champ Spain does not have an easy group with Turkey and Belgium in it, here are the whole groups for Europe, can't say that the English will have an easy time also

Group 1

Team Pld Pts

Portugal 0 0

Sweden 0 0

Denmark 0 0

Hungary 0 0

Albania 0 0

Malta 0 0

Group 2

Team Pld Pts

Greece 0 0

Israel 0 0

Switzerland 0 0

Moldova 0 0

Latvia 0 0

Luxembourg 0 0

Group 3

Team Pld Pts

Czech Republic 0 0

Poland 0 0

Northern Ireland 0 0

Slovakia 0 0

Slovenia 0 0

San Marino 0 0

Group 4

Team Pld Pts

Germany 0 0

Russia 0 0

Finland 0 0

Wales 0 0

Azerbaijan 0 0

Liechtenstein 0 0

Group 5

Team Pld Pts

Spain 0 0

Turkey 0 0

Belgium 0 0

Bosnia and Herzegovina 0 0

Armenia 0 0

Estonia 0 0

Group 6

Team Pld Pts

Croatia 0 0

England 0 0

Ukraine 0 0

Belarus 0 0

Kazakhstan 0 0

Andorra 0 0

Group 7

Team Pld Pts

France 0 0

Romania 0 0

Serbia 0 0

Lithuania 0 0

Austria 0 0

Faroe Islands 0 0

Group 8

Team Pld Pts

Italy 0 0

Bulgaria 0 0

Republic of Ireland 0 0

Cyprus 0 0

Georgia 0 0

Montenegro 0 0

Group 9

Team Pld Pts

Netherlands 0 0

Scotland 0 0

Norway 0 0

FYR Macedonia 0 0

Iceland 0 0

Spain definitely deserved to win, they dominated the game. It could easily have been 3-0. Germany did well to reach the final.

An excellent tournament all round and good to see Spain win something major after many years (I think '64 was the last time). They should be a team to watch at the next World Cup.

I was on vacation when the semis and final were played but managed to see them both and sidewinder's comments are my thoughts. As a longtime Spain supporter, I was obviously very happy :excited: that they won. I actually thought they should have been up 3-0 in the first half of the final and was worried that it might come back to haunt them. Except for the first 10 minutes and a small part of the second half when Germany was moving well with the ball, it didn't seem like they were really in the match but that could also be attributable to the Spanish defense.

They were clearly the best team in the tournament and deserved to win. And that is that.