EURO 2008

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First goal IS off-side.

Second one was great.

Italy played a shy first half, they woke up too late, missed a couple of goals in the second half and Netherland got the third one.

Italian defence was definitely lower then usual, Netherland's one better then everybody expected in the first half, quite short of breath in the second half, but Italy's playing was meaningless.

The Orange gained with merit.

Edited by porcy62

As a French fan, things are not looking so bleak, you have to wonder how Italy will be able to rebound after such a shellacking, so it may actually be not so bad, if Romania plays a tight game like they did today, this group may be wide open when we meet Italy in the third game.

As a French fan, things are not looking so bleak, you have to wonder how Italy will be able to rebound after such a shellacking, so it may actually be not so bad, if Romania plays a tight game like they did today, this group may be wide open when we meet Italy in the third game.

I am not really worried, italian's (teams) do it better when they have some pressure, anyway it's just football.

uh oh ... bad, bad day for the italian team ... new hope for france ? :blink:

now the italian team has to beat romania on friday or otherwise it's all over for italy ... i'm not so sure that the italian team has the mental power to handle this difficult situation :unsure:

I think the Italians will just shrug this one off. I felt they played well for much of the game. They fell to a blatantly offside goal (awful, awful, awful decision - it really wasn't even close!), and two on the counter-attack...if they can be even slightly more disciplined at the back, I think they'll be ok. But today - wow, they missed Cannavaro...

I'd say Germany are the ones to beat of those we've seen so far!

First goal IS off-side.

I think the Italians will just shrug this one off. I felt they played well for much of the game. They fell to a blatantly offside goal (awful, awful, awful decision - it really wasn't even close!), and two on the counter-attack...if they can be even slightly more disciplined at the back, I think they'll be ok.

OK, I wasn't going to post on Org anymore, but I really have to step in.

Porcy62 and Red, you're both wrong. Van Nistelrooij was ON-side when he scored the first Dutch goal. The rules say that a defender who steps or falls behind the line stays in-play in a case like this, so the Italian defender behind the line must be counted. It's different with strikers, once they step behind the line they're out of play. I don't know why there's a difference between strikers and defenders, but that's the rule. The referee was correct and the goal was a good one.

Edited by J.A.W.

tomorrow we will see spain vs russia

and also the legendary team from greece, winner of the euro 2004, with their german coach :excited:

greece has to play against sweden

so ... forget about italy, france, germany and all the other usual suspects ... better watch out for the greek team :ph34r:

First goal IS off-side.

I think the Italians will just shrug this one off. I felt they played well for much of the game. They fell to a blatantly offside goal (awful, awful, awful decision - it really wasn't even close!), and two on the counter-attack...if they can be even slightly more disciplined at the back, I think they'll be ok.

Porcy62 and Red, you're both wrong. Van Nistelrooij was ON-side when he scored the first Dutch goal. The rules say that a defender who steps or falls behind the line stays in-play in a case like this, so the Italian defender behind the line must be counted. It's different with strikers, once they step behind the line they're out of play. I don't know why there's a difference between strikers and defenders, but that's the rule. The referee was correct and the goal was a good one.

It might be, though italian international referees said just the opposite you say, their interpretation is that if a defender, behind the line, can engage in the play is to be counted, but Panucci clearly wasn't, since he was down, anyway there will be some rumours about it, and the FIFA will explain.

Nevertheless Netherland deserved to win, at least for the poor defence of italians, yes, Red, Cannavaro is a big loss.

Van Basten was right, Donadoni was wrong, it's football.

Kudos to the Oranje.

BTW Welcome back, J.A.W. I hope you didn't drop here only for a stupid football match :)

Edited by porcy62

First goal IS off-side.

It might be, though italian international referees said just the opposite you say, their interpretation is that if a defender, behind the line, can engage in the play is to be counted, but Panucci clearly wasn't, since he was down, anyway there will be some rumours about it, and the FIFA will explain.

Nevertheless Netherland deserved to win, at least for the poor defence of italians, yes, Red, Cannavaro is a big loss.

BTW Welcome back, J.A.W. :)

A UEFA rules official has already explained; he said exactly what I posted above. Whether or not the defender is able to take part in the play is not relevant.

Edited by J.A.W.

A UEFA rules official has already explained; he said exactly what I posted above. Whether or not the defender is able to take part in the play is not relevant.

Great, so it's all solved then, you can leave the forum again.

Very nice, but judging by past experiences that's to be expected of you, I suppose.

I'll take your advice and leave again.

Great, so it's all solved then, you can leave the forum again.

Very nice, but judging by past experiences that's to be expected of you, I suppose.

I'll take your advice and leave again.

J.A.W. If if you read well my first post I welcomed you and I was everything, but rude towards you.

You posts were assertive and didn't show any hint of kindness, actually something like: 'I am glad to be back' or BS like these, so what would you expect from me?

There's a special rule for such cases - not even GĂ¼nther Netzer knew it quite surely. They analysed the scene in slow motion on German TV - the goal was correct.

Italy looked pretty clueless most of the time. Their coach lamented his team being basically too slow and technically underaccomplished for today's European standards - they didn't show him he was wrong.

Sweden is more or less the Romania of that group but who will be the Dutch ?

Speaking of Sweden, the legendary Henrik Larsson, soon 37, who twice has retired form the national team, is back again. He played in the Swedish national team way back in the 1994 World Cup, and scored two goals then. This is his 6th big championship.

Larsson is teamed at the top (?) with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who scored both goals in Inter's last match of the Italian league and thus secured the 2008 Scudetto for the club. Ibrahimovic has often been somewhat of a disappointment in the national team though. He has played reasonably well, but not been able to score much. Hopes are high this time though.

Sweden is more or less the Romania of that group but who will be the Dutch ?

Speaking of Sweden, the legendary Henrik Larsson, soon 37, who twice has retired form the national team, is back again. He played in the Swedish national team way back in the 1994 World Cup, and scored two goals then. This is his 6th big championship.

Larsson is teamed at the top (?) with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who scored both goals in Inter's last match of the Italian league and thus secured the 2008 Scudetto for the club. Ibrahimovic has often been somewhat of a disappointment in the national team though. He has played reasonably well, but not been able to score much. Hopes are high this time though.

It's generally not a good sign when you have to rely on ancient player like him to help your team.

Not generally, but Larsson may be the exception. When he signed with Barcelona in 2004 the physical examination showed that his values were what would be expected from a much younger body, and when Manchester United borrowed him in early 2007 they were so impressed that they wanted to keep him. Said Sir Alex Ferguson last year: ""He's been fantastic for us, we tried everything we could to get him to stay longer".

The good thing he's still playing at a top level in domestic competition plus age is maybe less relevant for a forward than a defender , ask Materazzi who was shite yesterday.

It also depends on how the group feels about his inclusion in the squad. Then again i can be wrong, heck i was against bringing back Zidane prior to the last World Cup, because i felt it was unfair to the players who helped qualify the team, i maybe wrong but at least i'm consistent.

Edited by Van Basten II