Tadd Dameron's Mating Call

mikeweil

I just spoke to Ira Gitler on the phone and asked him about the "missing instrument". He denied saying this and asked me to tell him where he said it and I got the book out. Best I can find is "..., but with one horn there is no chance for the texture of the usual Dameron ensemble to come through........"

Did I miss a page, or do you have another edition of the book?

You know, it definitely makes me wish that I had gone ahead and tracked down a copy to make sure the info was correct before repeating it to Weinstock.

Thanks for going straight to the source, Chuck.

Mike, what do you have to say in your defense?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, what do you have to say in your defense?

I dug out my copy of the book (the 1983 DaCapo paperback edition), and there it is at the bottom of page 273:

There was one other Dameron LP in 1956. This was Mating Call which originally was to be recorded with a quintet but ended up with John Coltrane as the only horn.

The sentence Chuck quoted is following immediately after this.

Gitler wrote a new intoduction to this edition, so he could have known. But I don't blame him. B)

Edited by mikeweil

Maybe it is a matter of interpretation. On the one hand, "originally was to be recorded with a quintet" could mean that one horn player didn't show up for that date and they decided to go ahead anyway with Coltrane as the only horn. On the other hand, it could mean that Dameron originally intended to record with a quintet but changed his mind and decided to arrange the music for only one horn.

My apology to Mike Weil - my first edition of the book reads as Mike says. In my haste I was befuddled by a page turn.

I think John L's "on the other hand" interpretation is the most likely.

Perhaps, but its still contradicted by Bob's direct statement to me-it was meant as a quartet recording because Coltrane was playing with Dameron at the time.

Chuck, I'd still be interested in Ira's reply since it all started with him.

My apology to Mike Weil - my first edition of the book reads as Mike says. In my haste I was befuddled by a page turn.

No reason to apologize - I appreciate it very much you take so much care to clear a detail the jazz world never would have cared for if I hadn't posted that question.

The flap of a wing of a butterfly in China causes a hurricane in Texas?

That's wierd about Gitler claiming that it's not a trumpet, because in his forthcoming autobiography 'How I Changed The Course of Jazz' (Houghton Mifflin, 2,653 pages, release date in the Spring), Wynton Marsalis claims that *he* was supposed to be the second horn on Mating Call. At the last minute he backed out, however, because he had to make a Buddy Bolden record date for which the tape alas disappeared before it could be released.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

That's wierd about Gitler claiming that it's not a trumpet, because in his forthcoming autobiography 'How I Changed The Course of Jazz' (Houghton Mifflin, 2,653 pages, release date in the Spring), Wynton Marsalis claims that *he* was supposed to be the second horn on Mating Call. At the last minute he backed out, however, because he had to make a Buddy Bolden record date for which the tape alas disappeared before it could be released.

Bertrand.

:g

• 11 months later...

Fun thread.

I've been appreciating Dameron's writing more and more these days. The Magic Touch is a new album to me (d'oh!), and it's a grand one. Takes a little while to get used to Barbara Winfield's two vocal tracks, but otherwise ... an enthusiastic :tup .

Now it's time to spin the album under consideration here. (Julius Watkins would be a nice second horn choice. Or, how about Jimmy Cleveland ... or possibly Teddy Charles?)