*** Trombone Corner ***

Rooster_Ties

And this, believe it or not, is one of my favorite trombone records:

feac_1.JPG

I kid you not.

Having first seen Watrous a few years ago (still sporting that haircut), I'm surprised to see that in his youth he bore a distinct resemblance to Manchester's enfant terrible, Liam Gallagher :blink:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Figures this would become another silly album cover thread. . . we need more of those. :angry:

For me trombone is first and foremost Teagarden.

teagarden_jack.gif

Though I agree with the above affection for Ducal trombone writing and playing.

Edited by jazzbo

And this, believe it or not, is one of my favorite trombone records:

feac_1.JPG

I kid you not.

Having first seen Watrous a few years ago (still sporting that haircut), I'm surprised to see that in his youth he bore a distinct resemblance to Manchester's enfant terrible, Liam Gallagher :blink:

That's actually a very intriguing album. The material and the arrangements by Walter Raim are ostensibly "easy listening", but you don't have to have particularly "sophisticated" ears to hear that everything that can be jacked with is being jacked with. If a cut got played in an elevator, you'd definitely begin to wondder if somebody had slipped you something a few minutes earlier...Watrous himself, a player for whom I'm had more respect than love, plays superbly throughout, the restriction of 3:00 or so "pop" songs perhaps forcing a focus and mental economy on him that ultimately rewards rather than stifles. Call it the 78 Syndrome, maybe.

For pre-bop players, I'm a big Dickey Wells fan. That solo on "Taxi War Dance" (a.o.) shows that he had created a language every bit as personal and idiosyncratic as Prez.

Don't have it at hand right now for details, but the Dicky Wells CD in the Americans Swinging in Paris Series on EMI is fabulous. Not to be missed!

Two other trombone CD's I've heard recently and really enjoy - one that is well-known on this list - Rosolino/Fontana - Trombone Heaven (Uptown)

& Bill Watrous' "I'll Play for You" (Famous Door now on Progressive CD).

A great 2 CD set that comes to mind is Frank Rosolino - "Thinking of You" (Sackville) Also the 2 CD reissue of Jimmy Cleveland on Lonehill.

This is one of my all time favorites:

Lpmikamitakeshi%20074.jpg

Mine, too! I hadn't seen a copy for decades and so was very pleased to find one a few years ago in the now defunct Reckless Records in London's Soho. As far as I'm aware, this one's never made it onto CD, though I may be wrong, of course!

This one needs a cd reissue. Coupled with 7xWilder (which seems to be more obscure)would make an excellent set. What about it Verve? It wont be long before Lonehill or Avid pick these up!

Reckless Records - What memories of those vinyl hunting days.

Just a couple of names that come to mind very quickly that I have enjoyed - although I can not cite any specific recordings.

Jeb Bishop

Steve Davis

Craig Harris

Isaiah Jackson

Frank Lacy

George Lewis

Bill Lowe

Grachan Moncur III

Christophe Schweizer

Nils Wogram

Figures this would become another silly album cover thread. . . we need more of those. :angry:

teagarden_jack.gif

For Lon.....

Thanks. I made an exception to my youtube aversion and watched that. I've seen it before.

Jack was one in a million. . .especially in the thirties.

:tup:cool::tup

e01961rw7r0.jpg

I've always heard this guy was a real jerk.

There are some clips on you tube or something.

In one he's complaining about the guys in the band need shirts and the other he's giving the band shit about their playing and tells them to get the fuck off his bus.

Edited by catesta

Mine, too! I hadn't seen a copy for decades and so was very pleased to find one a few years ago in the now defunct Reckless Records in London's Soho. As far as I'm aware, this one's never made it onto CD, though I may be wrong, of course!

This one needs a cd reissue. Coupled with 7xWilder (which seems to be more obscure)would make an excellent set. What about it Verve? It wont be long before Lonehill or Avid pick these up!

Seems Fresh Sounds already have issued the material: post-5434-1219415599_thumb.jpg

I've seen him live twice (in a quartet with Gebhard Ullman, Hilliard Greene, and Barry Altschul), and he was absolutely amazing.

"Desert Songs & Other Landscapes" (w/the above quartet), and his latest "Rivers of Sound Ensemble" are both great records.

Definitely on the "rambunctious side of avant-garde jazz", but that seems like a somewhat simplistic and limiting categorization -- I hear a wide variety of styles and influences in his playing, and in his compositions as well.

What any trombone player would find amazing about that is that Jack plays most of the solo in the first three postions, rarely using even fourth position.

Though there are many tromboinsts I admire greatly, I have to say that Jack and J.J. are the fountainheads.

teagarden_jack.gif

For Lon.....

Thanks. I made an exception to my youtube aversion and watched that. I've seen it before.

Jack was one in a million. . .especially in the thirties.\

Others of note:

Albert Mangelsdorff

Right, totally forgot about Mangelsdorff, Rutherford....

Albert's MPS material, I think, is absolutely essential. The 'Three Originals' packages that came out were very nifty for getting a lot of that material released.

Also Conrad Herwig is another one I forgot about. I really like his 'Latin Side of John Coltrane' album on Astor Place.

Seems Fresh Sounds already have issued the material: post-5434-1219415599_thumb.jpg

'Fraid not. 'The Modernity' is an essential set of earlier material. Still need the Wilder date, with Jim Hall.