NEW FORUM RULE: Please read

Jim Alfredson

Please, when posting an article from another website, include a hyperlink to that site. Also, don't quote the full article, but rather the first few paragraphs and then put a link at the bottom for folks who want to read more to do so. For example:

New Music Detroit, nonstop

By MARK STRYKER • FREE PRESS MUSIC CRITIC • September 4, 2008

CLASSICAL

In case you've missed one of the most exciting developments on the local classical music scene in years, metro Detroit finally has a contemporary music ensemble that takes no prisoners.

New Music Detroit, a cooperative group that made its debut last year, has been turning heads with its ferociously energetic and virtuoso performances of music that's almost never heard in metro Detroit -- everything from downtown idioms like minimalism and its offshoots to the gnarly experiments of the European avant-garde, free jazz, rock hybrids and eclectic post-everything music so new the ink is still wet.

To read more, click here.

If everyone can do this, it would be ultra snazzy. If you find someone not complying with the new rule, please report the post to me and the moderators. Thank you!

I haven't followed too closely the wars that raged on this topic, but I've taken notice of them, that yes.

Frankly, I don't think this policy is that great an idea, as many articles will disappear from their original source after a while (i.e. newspaper articles such as obits). Now if that exactly is the point, fine. Still, it's our loss in the end. But again, if it's about copyright and what-know-I, ok.

On the other hand, in science it's usual to quote articles, of course mentioning the source (which can be done quickly with a link on the web), but no one would consider quoting an act of stealing, *if* (and that's of course crucial) the source is fully quoted.

I haven't followed too closely the wars that raged on this topic, but I've taken notice of them, that yes.

Frankly, I don't think this policy is that great an idea, as many articles will disappear from their original source after a while (i.e. newspaper articles such as obits). Now if that exactly is the point, fine. Still, it's our loss in the end. But again, if it's about copyright and what-know-I, ok.

On the other hand, in science it's usual to quote articles, of course mentioning the source (which can be done quickly with a link on the web), but no one would consider quoting an act of stealing, *if* (and that's of course crucial) the source is fully quoted.

seconded, i mean, for politics stuff i don't really see it this way, in 2 years palin's daughter will be long forgotten (or the president's daughter but that's another story) but with the jazz stuff it is different... still kicking myself that i only quoted from that lengthy interview with mitch manker/daniel jackson about their times with ray charles instead of qouting it in full, link is dead now (of course what i really should have done is save it on my hard disk)

Aside from copyright issues, at least this policy would cut down on those unwieldy threads where someone just posts article after article about a topic or musician, drowning out any actual conversation.

Yes, the lack of discussion of posted articles often struck (stroke?) me as a weird thing, but I found it was mostly the case in the politics section (where obviously some folks just identify with what they quote and don't feel a need for their own critical evaluation of the contents of what they quoted).

You're gonna put Johnny E and Berigan out of business with this rule! ;):g

In the Politics forum? This should be no problem for Comrade Berigan--he has been posting missing links for years!!!

And now back to my late, mid-late morning Stolichnaya.

This whole affair reminds me of this post:

:rolleyes:

It's all in good fun, Comrade 7/4 (hic!!!)!!! Comrade Berigan knows that I love him and come the revolution, I will reserve a special place for him in one of the better minimum-security re-education camps!!! He will receive "Re-Education Lite."

And now time for my "liquid lunch." :excited:

Edited by The Red Menace

It's all in good fun, Comrade 7/4 (hic!!!)!!! Comrade Berigan knows that I love him and come the revolution, I will reserve a special place for him in one of the better minimum-security re-education camps!!! He will receive "Re-Education Lite."

And now time for my "liquid lunch." :excited:

:lol:

Anyway...back to this thread - the real issue is commerce.

As impossible noted, if you're worried about a source disappearing, copy and paste the text into a document file and save it on your harddrive. There is even plenty of free software that will convert it into a pdf, which you could then attach if the original link disappeared.

This is about copyright. And also about common courtesy.

How about this way...

New Music Detroit, nonstop

By MARK STRYKER • FREE PRESS MUSIC CRITIC • September 4, 2008

CLASSICAL

In case you've missed one of the most exciting developments on the local classical music scene in years, metro Detroit finally has a contemporary music ensemble that takes no prisoners.

New Music Detroit, a cooperative group that made its debut last year, has been turning heads with its ferociously energetic and virtuoso performances of music that's almost never heard in metro Detroit -- everything from downtown idioms like minimalism and its offshoots to the gnarly experiments of the European avant-garde, free jazz, rock hybrids and eclectic post-everything music so new the ink is still wet.

Et cetera...

What about images that are linked from other websites?

Nah.

The issue is arts coverage - if we don't go to the actual web site where the article originally appeared, the newspapers might stop coverage because they don't get the click through revenues. This means coverage stops..."critics" won't get paid for all the views and might have to get a day job.

In general, newspapers are in a general decline. The internet is really killing them.

The magazine business has been in decline since before I was born.

What we need here is something I'm starting to see in some blogs. You can link the content including the advertising from a news site so the host gets paid for content.

Ok Jim, for me that clears the issue - no problem at all, I was just wondering!

I rarely post articles anyway, myself. Sometimes in the politics section, and if so it's mainly to try and draw some attention to a non US-topic that people would likely not pay any attention if they'd have to click a link first, but never mind. No biggie at all.