Great Finds

desertblues

Now I'm depressed ...

I happened to be driving in a part of town I usually don't get to most of the time today. While there I saw a garage sale going on so I stopped.

Holy shit I am glad I did! Talk about a goldmine!!

I saw a few promising LPs, so I asked the guy how much. He says $4.00 gets the entire box. Hell yeah!

Here is what I scored.

Arista/Freedom

Art Ensemble of Chicago - The Paris Session

Gato Barbieri / Dollar Brand

Anthony Braxton - Duets 1976

Roswell Rudd - Inside Job

Archie Shepp - There's a Trumpet in My Soul

Archie Shepp - Montreaux II

Black Jazz

The Awakening - Hear, Sense and Feel

Black Saint

Roscoe Mitchell - The Flow of Things

Candid:

Steve Lacy - The Straight Horn of Steve Lacy

Checker

Jimmy Reeves, Jr - Born to Love Me

Cobblestone

Neal Creque - Creque

Crimson

Soul Survivors - When the Whistle Blows, Anything Goes

ECM

Abercrombie/Holland/DeJohnette - Gateway II

Arild Andersen - Shimri

Arild Anderson - Green Shading Into Blue

Jack DeJohnette Directions - Untitled

Jan Garbarak Quartet - Afric Pepperbird

Art Lande/Rubica Patrol - Desert Marauders

Oregon - Oregon Crossing

Barre Phillips - Three Day Moon

Barre Phillips - Journey Violone II

Julian Priester - Polarization

Impulse

Albert Ayler - In Greenwich Village

Alice Coltrane - Huntington Ashram Monastery

John Coltrane - The Africa Brass Sessions II

Sam RIvers - Crystals

Archie Shepp - Live in San Francisco

Archie Shepp - New Grass

Archie Shepp - Attila Blues

Japo

Dollar Brand - African Piano

JCOA

Carla Bley - Elevator Over the Hill

Music Works

Kazuko Shiraishi - Dedicated to the Late John Coltrane

Novus

Air - Montreaux Suisse

Ogun

Irene Schweitzer - p; Rudiger Carl - tenor sax; /Radu Malfatti - trb; /Harry Miller - bass; /Paul Lovens - drums - Ramifications

(2 copies)

Prestige

John Coltrane - Stardust

Sackville

Roscoe Mitchell - Duets with Anthony Braxton

Vee Jay

Eric Dolphy Memorial Album

Warner Brothers

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Kirkatron

John Simon - Journey

There were are a few others, but these were the highlights.

I usually wouldn't list finds on here, but this time it merits doing so. Sorry if I seem to be bragging on my luck, but I nearly crapped my pants. I was pinching myself all the way back to the van.

Many were in plastic sleeves and none of them have any visual wear, as if they are unplayed. WTF!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happened to be driving in a part of town I usually don't get to most of the time today. While there I saw a garage sale going on so I stopped.

Holy shit I am glad I did! Talk about a goldmine!!

I saw a few promising LPs, so I asked the guy how much. He says $4.00 gets the entire box. Hell yeah!

I usually wouldn't list finds on here, but this time it merits doing so. Sorry if I seem to be bragging on my luck, but I nearly crapped my pants. I was pinching myself all the way back to the van.

Many were in plastic sleeves and none of them have any visual wear, as if they are unplayed. WTF!!

Most of them are not my cup of tea at all but by any yardstick this is ONE HELL of a jazz find.

Congrats!

Enjoy!

What I snapped up at a local record store mass clearout sale last Friday at 1 euro ($1.20) each definitely pales by comparison (some 50s Dixieland jazz originals, a couple of swing and modern jazz 10-inchers including Miles, Woody, Bix, Benny, reissue of 50s Sammy Price Paris recordings, a bit of Brubeck and a few more).

Picked up a few Blue Notes today...

John Patton - Understanding {U.S. Liberty sleeve and 1968 German pressing with VAN GELDER in the deadwax}

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch {70's Liberty blue label reissue}

Baby Face Willette - Stop and Listen {90's Connoisseur vinyl}

All sound very nice (the Connoisseur being the best of them, what a surprise) and were under 20€ each.

Yeah that kind of superscore only happens once a year - like APRIL 1st :rofl:

Haha. Good call.

(I guess you're refering to slide_advantage_redoux' post.)

He probably is referring to my post. If it was an April 1st gag, I would have listed a ton of 4 digit Blue Notes along with a nice selection of OOP Mosaics!

I had a copy of Elevator over the Hill already and Mssr Sangrey bought this one.

That Jimmie Reed, Jr LP on Checker is an odd one. His singing didn't impress me so much, but the band has Matt Gtr Murphy. Wille Dixon et al on it. Therein lies some serious Chicago blues!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a pile of mint (or near mint or whatever) Jazz Tribune 2LP sets at a very good price (roughly 8-9€)... got Earl Hines Vols. 1/2 and 3/4, left behind Vols. 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8 of Ellington (got the big RCA CD-box), the Chu Berry (got the Mosaic), the Bunny Berigan (got all the Chronogicals - should I still get the Tribune? please advise!), the Fletcher Henderson (which I do have on CD).

I've also got Vols. 1/2 and 5/Panassié by Bechet and the Dizzy (because sound on the 2CD set isn't that... lively). Still waiting for a good copy of Vol. 3/4 of Bechet to turn up somewhere (I'm wary of buying LPs via the internets, mostly).

Anyway, also got:

Tomasz Stanko - Purple Sun (Calig)

Arthur Blythe - The Grip (India Navigation)

Lee Konitz - Yes, Yes, Nonet (Steeplechase)

Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians (ECM)

and a wonderful Japanese reissue (MV 2100) of "Jazz Samba Encore", which is my favorite of Getz' bossa platters...

• 3 weeks later...

Two interesting 7" that I found at an estate sale over the weekend. First one is an Art Van Damme 78RPM 7" and the second one has Frank Socolow and Clyde Lombardi, with Sam Ulano on drums. Haven't listened to them yet but both are in minty condition, so that's always a plus...

post-383-0-30589400-1336508075_thumb.jpg

post-383-0-04999300-1336508084_thumb.jpg

Edited by tjluke68

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yesterday,

John Coltrane, Blue Trane (NY USA stereo), upgrading my Liberty copy.

Cannonball Adderley, Know What I Mean? (Riverside blue label mono), upgrading my battered stereo copy.

And finally, Mose Allison Plays for Lovers (Prestige, blue label mono). I couldn't resist this bizarre concept anthology.

All in very nice shape.

And finally, Mose Allison Plays for Lovers (Prestige, blue label mono). I couldn't resist this bizarre concept anthology.

All in very nice shape.

That's pretty funny. It should be "Mose Allison Plays and Sings Cynical Songs for Lovers Who Are About to Break Up."

All in very nice shape.

That's pretty funny. It should be "Mose Allison Plays and Sings Cynical Songs for Lovers Who Are About to Break Up."

Includes, I Told Ya I Loved Ya, Now Get Out.

All in very nice shape.

Includes, I Told Ya I Loved Ya, Now Get Out.

:D Prestige put out a fair number of '... plays for lovers' LPs. DIdn't know about this one, though.

MG

Picked up two Contemporary 10" LP's last week

Gillespie's "Dizzy In Paris" (C2504) -> Blue coloured coat (were there 2 cover versions? - one with a blue coat & the other yellow)

Henri Renaud's "Modern Sounds: France" (C2502)

I've never seen 60 year old 10" LP's in such beautiful condition before (mint -)

Not something you usually find in Brisbane, Australia

Actually, 10" Jazz LP's hardly ever turn up here.

Picked up two Contemporary 10" LP's last week

Gillespie's "Dizzy In Paris" (C2504) -> Blue coloured coat (were there 2 cover versions? - one with a blue coat & the other yellow)

Henri Renaud's "Modern Sounds: France" (C2502)

I've never seen 60 year old 10" LP's in such beautiful condition before (mint -)

Not something you usually find in Brisbane, Australia

Actually, 10" Jazz LP's hardly ever turn up here.

Indeed. Good finds.

Picked up a few 10in originals (with decent vinyl but dog-eared covers) myself during our recent holidays in Southern France. As was to be expected, nothing but SIDNEY BECHET (on the Vogue and CfD labels). But dirt cheap so worth shelling out anyway just for casual listening.

• 2 weeks later...

I was out running errands this morning, and decided on a whim to put into one of my regular stops, a used book/CD/record store. They had just bought a collection from the 1950s. Some were not in good shape, but I picked out 12 which are dirty, but basically in good condition:

Introducing Jimmy Cleveland (EmArcy)

Lars Gullin - Baritone Sax (Atlantic)

Illinois Jacquet - Swing's the Thing (Verve)

Maynard Ferguson - Jam Session (EmArcy); with Herb Geller, Bob Cooper, Max Roach, etc.

Shorty Rogers - Wherever the Five Winds Blow (RCA Victor)

Interpretations by the Stan Getz Quintet (Norgran)

Stan Getz - West Coast Jazz (Norgran)

Jack Montrose With Bob Gordon (Atlantic)

The Modernity of Bob Brookmeyer (Clef)

Jim Hall - Jazz Guitar (Pacific Jazz)

The Touch of Tony Scott (RCA Victor)

Anthony Ortega - A Man and His Horns (Herald)

All for $5-6 dollars each.

Within the last week,

Hampton Hawes For Real (Contemporary stereo deep groove),

Yusef Lateef, Eastern Sounds (Prestige stereo, black and silver NJ label), and

Jimmy Smith Plays Pretty For You (Blue Note mono, W.63rd/NY USA hybrid).

Not in the greatest condition, but LPs like this are not common in these parts.