Golson/Farmer Jazztet goes straight to Last Chance

What are the "European" sets that are being mentioned. Mine came straight from Mosaic, so I assume it is an "American" set.

Are these Euro sets ones that are packaged and sealed for sale at record shops in Europe? I recall seeing a bunch of Mosaics, some recently out of print, at the FNAC the last time we were in Spain.

Universal has (had?) a deal with Mosaic that the sets containing music from Universal (Farlow, Eldridge, Nelson, Basie Clef/Verve, Peterson, Quincy Jones, etc) would be distributed by Universal directly in Europe, with a different number on the back of the box and no handwritten number in the book, but otherwise identical and also part of the limited total number of sets.

Most of those turned up on Amazon Marketplace or elsewhere for attractive prizes.

The European sets have a long serial number attributed by Universal on the spine - in the case of the Jazztet set it is B0003464-02 - and they are not individually numbered by hand as the US box sets but have the printed serial number in that place in the booklet.

What are the "European" sets that are being mentioned. Mine came straight from Mosaic, so I assume it is an "American" set.

Are these Euro sets ones that are packaged and sealed for sale at record shops in Europe? I recall seeing a bunch of Mosaics, some recently out of print, at the FNAC the last time we were in Spain.

Universal has (had?) a deal with Mosaic that the sets containing music from Universal (Farlow, Eldridge, Nelson, Basie Clef/Verve, Peterson, Quincy Jones, etc) would be distributed by Universal directly in Europe, with a different number on the back of the box and no handwritten number in the book, but otherwise identical and also part of the limited total number of sets.

Most of those turned up on Amazon Marketplace or elsewhere for attractive prizes.

And very attractive prices they were! For a good while, the Tal Farlow "Concert Band" could be had for $50-$55 brand new. After snapping that one up, I was on constant alert for the Universal sets to show up somewhere. Besides Amazon Marketplace, Half.com was another place I picked up a few. I got the Buddy Rich set new (which I liked much better than I thought I would) for somewhere in the $65 range. I also got a new Basie Clef/Verve set for somewhere between $60-$70.

The European sets have a long serial number attributed by Universal on the spine - in the case of the Jazztet set it is B0003464-02 - and they are not individually numbered by hand as the US box sets but have the printed serial number in that place in the booklet.

...and a great advertising piece of paper pasted on the back of the box (easily detachable). I picked up this and many of the other "european" Mosaics at ridicolous prices: the last, Tad Farlow from Amazon.co.uk at less than 40 pounds

Edited by Fred

Wow.... that's kinda depressing.... :(:(:(

Mine arrived today, numbered in the low 2700s. This one ends far short of its allotted 10,000.

Very impressed with the music thus far too.

Don't forget all the European copies which are not numbered. ;)

Don't forget all the European copies which are not numbered. ;)

Yep, I'd guess that up to 5,000 of them would be 'Euro-Mosaics'.

Do you think the number of "Euro" sets is really that high? It seems as though I heard that the domestic runs are handled in lots of 500 or 1000. It would seem reasonable that Euro runs would be handled in a similar fashion. Perhaps the language of the agreements splits production between the US and other markets. Nonetheless, it seems odd to put such a glut of product abroad all at once. 5,000 just seems like an awfully big number.

I'd be interested to know.

Woo-Hoo! Seems the UPS guys all worked extra hard (in honor of FreeForAll's birthday, no doubt) to get my set delivered a day early. Listening to it right now.

I ripped the discs onto my laptop, and when iTunes accessed the CDDB to get info for Disc 5, one of the tune titles came up as, "I'm A Fool To Want Me." :lol: