*** Cecil Taylor ***

Aggie87

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cecil Taylor - he is the one at right - and recipients of the 2013 Kyoto Prize hold their diplomas and medals after receiving the 2013 Kyoto Prize this week in Kyoto. Other laureates are Dr. Robert Dennard, at left, and Dr. Masatoshi Nei.

2013_Kyoto_Prize_Laureates_Group.jpg?dow

Dennard invented DRAM....and each one also gets $500,000.

Edited by Blue Train

• 4 weeks later...

Just crossed my mind that there's an 8+ minute duet cut with Cecil Taylor and Tony Williams on the latter's The Joy of Flying album. Years ago, I recall hearing a fairly long set on WKCR from the tapes of this session. There was much more than that cut. It would be great if someone (JLH, possibly?) could release the whole deal. Or perhaps Mosaic could do something. They don't release CD singles anymore, but maybe an LP.

I imagine that this music exists somewhere on the internet - probably in not so great sound.

Just crossed my mind that there's an 8+ minute duet cut with Cecil Taylor and Tony Williams on the latter's The Joy of Flying album. Years ago, I recall hearing a fairly long set on WKCR from the tapes of this session. There was much more than that cut. It would be great if someone (JLH, possibly?) could release the whole deal. Or perhaps Mosaic could do something. They don't release CD singles anymore, but maybe an LP.

I imagine that this music exists somewhere on the internet - probably in not so great sound.

sounds pretty good to my ears - check this blog site

http://intoabluehaze.blogspot.it/2012/12/white-house-jazz-festival-live-in.html

amen.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for posting this. A completely absorbing and moving performance by both men.

Tanaka's dance was astonishing in its fluidity and expressiveness. Taylor's recitation/poetry beguiling and lyrical and the piano playing captivating.

I wish I could see such a performance live

I recall that in somewhat younger days, Cecil used to dance prior to, and during performances. So the dance performance at the award ceremony is entirely fitting. besides, Cecil, has been a fan of Japanese performing arts. Check out this link to You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZaPmuXMnDg

(Still haven't figured out how to insert the YT vid)

Monk used to like to do "weird" (so-called) little dances during performances too.

TJOF is being rereleased next month in Japan - good price too

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=SICP-3999

• 8 months later...

Just wondering if anyone has a copy of Cecil Taylor Jazz Unit ‎– The Early Unit 1962. Recorded Golden Circle snd released on Ingo.

Seems to me any CT from then has got to be worth hearing but I'm wondering whether the sound quality is an overriding issue. Any opinions gratefully received