Why was the Stan Getz thread deleted?

Aggie87

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried calling Allen out on matters of what I considered flawed reaasoning before & it only escalated things. Rapidly and severely.

Chris, hey, Chris does what Chris does. We've all learned that by now.

I tried being a moderator & that backfired when I expressed some stong opinions. "You're intimidating people with your opinions because you're a moderator" was the line I got from more than a few. So I dropped out as a moderator in order to be able to speak freely and not have that reflected as an "official" position of the board. If desired by Jim, I will return as a moderator, and if not desired, I fully understand.

I respect the hell out of both Allen's & Chris' knowledge but long ago tired of their "issues". They're adults who apparently won't listen to reason (or my version of it anyway, such as it is), so hold them accountable for whatever havoc they wreck. Not me, not Jim, not the moderators, nobody else but they themselves. All of us have issues, but not all of us know when to pull back. It's never too late to pull back.

If you want me to play Big Dick Rick and try to tame adults who have no desire (or, apparently, ability) to tame themselves, you're looking at the wrong guy. I don't play that, it's a no-winner if ever there was one. You either live with them or banish them from your life. Unfortunately, there ain't no in-between.

This is not my board, so it is not my call.

But I will say this - Cliff, stop it. You've made your point more than well. Now move the hell on. Please.

There. It's been said. But I can't "make it happen" just by saying it. Only Cliff can.

I'm so tired, and this was supposed to be a holiday here, so I can't reply much.

Thanks for answering!

I do not believe people have taken a strong-enough stance around here and have maneuvered Jim into a really tight corner.

By complacency, mostly.

That's my take.

I'm going to sleep right now and I know I won't really be back.

I just hope that you will all show some more respect to Jim in regard to what you post here.

I was pissed off today, in a major way, and I'm not about to take anything back. There has just been too much of that ego-thing going on here, the one that has certainly soured it for Organissimo. As a parting statement, just think about how you behave around here. It's not your place and not your forum exclusively. Show some restraint and help Organissimo get much more than a foothold. It's really up to you!

Hell, one day Jim might even add your name to a list of contributors not because you paid a hundred bucks, but because you actually deserved the merit!

How about that?

Perchance, to sleep ...

ZZzzzz

[offline]

FWIW, I got a PM from Allen after my last post, typed up a frank but civil reply, went to send it, and got the message that he was not accepting PMs.

Perhaps it is bad ettiquette to reveal this, and sorry to go public like this, but don't think that all you see on here is all that goes on as far as trying to keep things right.

I have now blocked any more PMs from Allen. Enough is enough. Either get it together for the public, restrain yourself altogether, or else start your own board.

I stand by what I said - sane and sensible adults are fully responsible for their actions - nobody else is or should be expected to be.

My 2 cents worth (and maybe it's worth less).

This is Jim's board and he can do whatever he likes with it-- including closing it down (though that would make me very sad).

It''s my experience that people are often more aggressive in print than in person. Some of the most vitriolic critics and writers I've met seemed rather timid when I met them. (This isn't always the case, I realize.) The internet allows us all to hide behind our keyboards. When people are anonymous they have a mask to hide behind too. (Clementine was an extreme example of that.)

We should try to be as reasonable on-line as we are in person. You'd think having to type something out would make you less l likely to blurt something out but I know that in my case that's somehow not how it works.

No more insults, no more crap.

I like it. "The New Big-O. Now with less crap!"

Seriously, though, I've been busy and away a lot lately and seem to have missed everything. Didn't even realize that Chris was gone until yesterday. I love this place and hope the ship can right itself before it sinks completely. Jim A.'s been a fine captain, I support whatever moderation changes he deems necessary, and I'm sorry to hear about the recent spate of troubles. Hopefully everyone can play nice from here on out.

This is Jim's board and he can do whatever he likes with it-- including closing it down (though that would make me very sad).

It''s my experience that people are often more aggressive in print than in person. Some of the most vitriolic critics and writers I've met seemed rather timid when I met them. (This isn't always the case, I realize.) The internet allows us all to hide behind our keyboards. When people are anonymous they have a mask to hide behind too. (Clementine was an extreme example of that.)

We should try to be as reasonable on-line as we are in person. You'd think having to type something out would make you less l likely to blurt something out but I know that in my case that's somehow not how it works.

Agree with 1000%

That looks totally YUMMY! :D

Agree with 1000%

AMEN!

I'm making arancini this weekend if anyone wants to drop by the crib. I use arborio, so it's a beautiful thing.

arancini.jpg

I have no idea what that is, but it looks great.

Does it mail well?

As 7/4 pointed out, it is a delicious ball of rice.

I make the ball itself with every thing blended together. Arborio rice with finely diced pancetta or ham, (sausage or ground veal works as well) peas, Parmigiano, and mozzarella and or locatelli.

Formed into a small baseball or golfball size and fried until lighly browned. Serve with a little marinara on the side or over the top.

You can order them from places in New York like Landi's in Brooklyn, Mikes on Arthur Avenue or Iavarone Brothers, but shipping costs are probably a son of a bitch.

I imagine any Italian store worth a shit would carry them if you don't want to make on your own.

This place, maybe?

Jimmy's

They have those at La Cucina de Mama in Kansas City, a small restaurant in the Brookside area. They just call them "rice balls" on the menu. They are stuffed with ground beef, peas and cheese and fried until crunchy and golden.

They are in fact really tasty!

Sad times at the org. to be sure. I was one of those who left at the end of 2007 because of the "tone" that had developed. I came back (not that anyone cared), but for what it's worth, the problem here is not moderation, but one common sense. If people cannot take a step back a understand what they post can have a negitive effect on people, then there is no hope for them. You can be creative, tell the truth, and disagree with someone, and not turn everything into a flame war. I pm'd Jim back in 2007 that he should shut the board down, I'm starting to feel that way now -- not all the way, but starting. Jim has a family and a real life away from this board, and if this is causing him distress, it's not worth it. Why add something that is stressfull to your life, when a person probably has enough stress as it is?

Sad times at the org. to be sure. I was one of those who left at the end of 2007 because of the "tone" that had developed. I came back (not that anyone cared), but for what it's worth, the problem here is not moderation, but one common sense. If people cannot take a step back a understand what they post can have a negitive effect on people, then there is no hope for them. You can be creative, tell the truth, and disagree with someone, and not turn everything into a flame war. I pm'd Jim back in 2007 that he should shut the board down, I'm starting to feel that way now -- not all the way, but starting. Jim has a family and a real life away from this board, and if this is causing him distress, it's not worth it. Why add something that is stressfull to your life, when a person probably has enough stress as it is?

OR....

We could all be more respectful and post with more consideration, good manners and common sense.

two cents please...

Yes, it often feels good to start anew - tabula rasa -

for both the website and for all of us.

Suggestion(s):

Close this next week (or sooner) and begin a new Forum on 4th of July weekend ("America's music", Louis Armstrong, ...)

with a new name not associated with the band, but has the word "jazz" in it:

Jazz Hangout, Jazz Bordello, House of Jazz and Hip Priests, whatever...

and this will give everyone a month off to reflect and cool their jets.

"The change'll do you good"

I think Jim should have a blog (instead of or in addition to Facebook) to post

exciting news, interesting events, or just plain ol' stuff about his band.

This will provide a place to direct any future possible employers that want to see

what's developing and has the added advantage of content completely controlled by Jim.

No mention or weblinks to the future jazz site.

Connections between the two (band and new jazz site) will undoubtedly be made sooner or later,

but it'd appear as simply another jazz musician on a public forum who has a band.

An idea.

best in whatever you decide Jim,

®ø∂