Report: Michael Jackson has died

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spinning Off The Wall now. He sure got creepy, but this album is great. RIP.

Absolutely. No single artist, not even Elvis himself, spanned such extremes as did Michael Jackson. Jackson's highs were brilliant. His lows were abysmal. Listening to "Off the Wall" right now, myself. To me, this album represents one of the great missed opportunities in music history (great as it is): One of the tracks, "I Can't Help It," was written by Stevie Wonder. Can you imagine what a Stevie written and produced Michael Jackson album would have sounded like?

Another one of the great missed opportunities also involves Michael: The song "Bad" was originally conceived as a duet for Michael and Prince. They wound up not doing it (Prince claims because they couldn't agree who would sing the line, "Your butt is mine...") and I think it's tragic that they didn't. A Michael Jackson and Prince collaboration...the mind reels.

IMO

Joe Jackson played a huge part in how messed up MJ's life turned out

That's a fact

IMO

This was a shocking statement to me until I realized you weren't talking about this guy:

joe-jackson_002072_1_MainPicture.jpg

IMO

Joe Jackson played a huge part in how messed up MJ's life turned out

That's a fact

IMO

I've heard the same thing.

More details please

I thought the abuse he (and his siblings) went through from his father was well known. A quick look at Michael's wikipedia entry will give you a small dose of the shit.

Sad news and too soon (he's the same age as me). I would have loved to see him pull off a resurrection of his career, who knows if it would have happened. I enjoyed his music and videos in his peak years, amazing to sustain a career for 40 years in the pop world.

As I watch off and on the non-stop TV coverage of his passing (sorry, Farrah), I can't help but feel the irony that the media folk who are praising his musical genius are the same ones who dogged his every move and were so quick to exploit any of his freaky off-the-wall (no pun intended) behavior.

Edited by Free For All

Whatever the personal feelings of fans and family, hundreds of lawyers just smelled huge paydays.

how so?

:blink:

You don't believe legal proceedings will pile up from every direction?

a) MJ had a lot of debt - lawsuits are pending, more inevitable - nothing to do with his demise

b) it just looks to me like you are taking a cheap shot at lawyers

<_<

Whatever the personal feelings of fans and family, hundreds of lawyers just smelled huge paydays.

how so?

:blink:

You don't believe legal proceedings will pile up from every direction?

a) MJ had a lot of debt - lawsuits are pending, more inevitable - nothing to do with his demise

b) it just looks to me like you are taking a cheap shot at lawyers

<_<

I saw the "Jackson Family" attorney holding a little press conference yesterday. Chuck is right and it's starting already.

"We will have to wait to see what the toxicology reports have to say, what the coroners report has to say," Oxmon says. "When that happens, I will be very vocal. It could very well be he died from natural causes, in which case, my gosh, the tragedy becomes even greater."

True, Jackson was in major debt and practically broke, but the rest of the family (minus Janet) is totally broke and will be looking for a payday.

Absolutely. No single artist, not even Elvis himself, spanned such extremes as did Michael Jackson. Jackson's highs were brilliant. His lows were abysmal. Listening to "Off the Wall" right now, myself. To me, this album represents one of the great missed opportunities in music history (great as it is): One of the tracks, "I Can't Help It," was written by Stevie Wonder. Can you imagine what a Stevie written and produced Michael Jackson album would have sounded like?

Another one of the great missed opportunities also involves Michael: The song "Bad" was originally conceived as a duet for Michael and Prince. They wound up not doing it (Prince claims because they couldn't agree who would sing the line, "Your butt is mine...") and I think it's tragic that they didn't. A Michael Jackson and Prince collaboration...the mind reels.

Tragic? WTF? Oh well, they never collaborated. Big fucking deal.

Tragic is what that POS did to little boys.

Just watched the Thriller video over on youtube and some Jackson 5 videos

Thriller was the first million dollar music video

MJ MADE MTV play videos by black artists

I guess I'm in the minority here when I say I hated all that over produced shit from "Thriller". The videos just made me hate the music that much more.

He definitely made an impact and dominated the business for some time, but I gave up on him after "Off The Wall"

I saw the "Jackson Family" attorney holding a little press conference yesterday. Chuck is right and it's starting already.

"We will have to wait to see what the toxicology reports have to say, what the coroners report has to say," Oxmon says. "When that happens, I will be very vocal. It could very well be he died from natural causes, in which case, my gosh, the tragedy becomes even greater."

Here are some additional related quotes, from the London Evening Standard site:

Family lawyer Brian Oxman today blamed “enablers” for pushing Jackson too hard physically in preparation for the 50 shows. Former Jackson 5 publicist Arthur Phoenix, said he had warned his family that Jackson was too frail to perform at the O2 - and claimed they agreed with him.

Mr Oxman said: “This was something which I feared and something which I warned about. This is a case of abuse of medication, unless there is another cause that I don't know about.

“This family has been trying for months and months and months to take care of Michael Jackson. The people surrounding him have been enabling him. If you think the case of Anna Nicole Smith [the model who died from an overdose] was abuse then that is nothing in comparison to what we have been seeing in Michael Jackson's life. Where there is smoke there is fire.”

Mr Phoenix said: “As a family friend, I let Joe (father) and Tito (brother) know my concerns. I just knew in my heart he was not right and I tried telling the family that and it never sunk in. Michael put his heart and soul into these shows... but his heart and his physical being just wouldn't hold out.

He claimed that family members shared his opinion but were too afraid to speak about their concerns.

He added: “The family is in mourning right now. They are devastated and very hurt.

“The world of entertainment has suffered a great loss, the biggest since the death of Elvis Presley. It hurts me to think that one of the world's great entertainers has passed. I wish that he had been here a lot longer.”

Jackson's personal physician —thought to be Dr Tohme Tohme — was with him when he collapsed shortly after noon (8pm UK time).

Paramedics arrived within four minutes of being called to find the doctor trying to revive Jackson, who had stopped breathing.

They spent 42 minutes treating the singer at the house but he did not regain consciousness. He was declared dead at 2.26pm local time at the UCLA Medical Centre, about two miles from his home near Sunset Boulevard after a further hour spent trying to save him.

Jermaine Jackson, his brother and one of the Jackson 5, told reporters outside the hospital: “This is hard. My brother, the legendary King of Pop, passed away on Thursday, June 25 2009 at 2.26pm. It is believed he passed away of cardiac arrest.”

Gossip websites were full of claims over the circumstances. One, quoting a hospital source, claimed Jackson had collapsed after an injection of Demerol, a painkiller.

The source said: “Shortly after taking the Demerol he started to experience slow, shallow breathing. His breathing gradually got slower and slower until it stopped. His staff started mouth-to-mouth and an ambulance was called... He never regained consciousness.”

Sources suggest Jackson had also been taking other prescription painkillers including anti-anxiety drugs Xanax and Zoloft in recent months.

Mr Oxman said Jackson was taking the drugs to deal with past injuries including a broken back, which were sabotaging his concert rehearsals.

It is odd for a Physician to be on hand. Did Thome Thome live with Jackson? Did he have an assistant named Gonzalez Gonzalez?

I read an article from December 2008 in which Thome Thome said...."Mr. Jackson is in fine health and finalizing negotiations with a major entertainment company and television network for both a world tour and a series of specials and appearances."

Jackson camp denies health problems...

Think of all the money someone is going to make as people download songs/whole albums, and buy cds. You just KNOW his family is going to fight over the money, the 3 kids, etc, etc, etc...I read somewhere the funeral will likely be bigger than Princess Diana, or the Popes.

I hate him for what he did to those kids, but I also wonder if his Father died of a heart attack, say in 1968, would he still have been a child molester????

A good story on just how fucked up his childhood, and his life was...

Michael Jackson's celebrity suicide

It is odd for a Physician to be on hand. Did Thome Thome live with Jackson? Did he have an assistant named Gonzalez Gonzalez?

I read an article from December 2008 in which Thome Thome said...."Mr. Jackson is in fine health and finalizing negotiations with a major entertainment company and television network for both a world tour and a series of specials and appearances."

Jackson camp denies health problems...

I heard MJ wasn't feeling well the night before he passed away and his doctor was called to his house

Tragic? WTF? Oh well, they never collaborated. Big fucking deal.

Tragic is what that POS did to little boys.

Thanks for bringing that up again and again

We know he was a major mess

This could get even more interesting, if that's possible. With the early reports/speculation today of an OD on Demerol, the police are looking for his personal physician (Thome Thome) who's nowhere to be found. They towed his BMW from Jackson's home yesterday.

And Liza Minnelli apparently just said "I'm sure when the autopsy comes, all hell's going to break loose. So thank God we're celebrating him now". I'd suspect as close a friend as she was, she knows something.

Edited by Aggie87