Bad news from Mosaic

J.A.W.

, I had the Patton on my wish list but didn't react quickly enough - I console myself that I have a fair bit of it on CD and LP.

after posting this yesterday I dropped Mosaic an email bemoaning their loss and asking in vain if there was a Patton set kicking about.

I wondered if in the chaos, underestimates of stock held might have occurred. Well amazingly I got a reply this evening , Cindy had a copy of the Patton select for me :excited: :excited: :excited: .... enough said, I am amazed to have been so lucky. No harm in asking.

Perhaps, that was 'my copy'...

After reading the Mosaic newsletter 2 days too late, I ordered three Selects on Friday including the Patton which was still on the Last Chance list. Got a confirmation mail with all detail directly after my order. Yet no shipping notification arrived. Yesterday I asked about my order. Today, I got the reply: 'We have received all of your information. However, your order is blank.'

Arrggghh!!!

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to check for marketplace offers first, though... if they come through, they might end up a bit cheaper:

Mosaic Selects on amazon.de

Since you couldn't keep this for yourself, I had to order the Pacific Trios and the Brookmeyer - you're ruining me, but I really wanted these.

And I still want the H.R.S. box .... arghh!

I ordered the suddenly deleted sets from amazon.de marketplaces last week (except for the Pullen which I already own). The Gordon order has already been cancelled. Tried another seller. Still waiting for confirmation.

Got a shipping notification for the Brookmeyer, Slack and Pepper sets (Hooray!!). On the one hand, I'm hoping all sets will arrive. On the other hand this would ruin me...

I also was one of the 'Last Chance/Running Low' buyers in the past. But with that amount of money going at one time (if I'm successful), I can not afford changing the strategy in the near future. Hoping there will not be more 'Last Chance' sets for the rest of the year (at least).

Edited by zzaj

I got a shipping confirmation from Dusty Groove for the Curtis Amy Select, along with another handful of $4.99 Jazz in Paris titles, and the Coltrane Interplay box. Looks like I got one of their last copies of CA in stock. So I await delivery of Dexter from an eBay seller and Curtis Amy from DG.

So much for my Brookmeyer order from the morning of the 9th. Looks like I got shafted by eBay's redtagmarket. Got this email today from Christi of Customer Service:

"I‘ve personally checked on the status of your order, and I apologize for the delay.  Your order has not yet shipped due to an error in our inventory... We’ll keep trying to get it for you from our suppliers and ship it as soon as it’s available.  I anticipate this will be in a few days but may take up to 1-2 weeks for restocking."

Yeah, that'll happen. Now my advice for buying from J&R is no longer good. They're out of stock too. :rmad:

I think Mosaic's email title that day should have been LastNo Chance.

I'm still hangin' in the breeze on my 2 Brookmeyer orders. Both orders were placed on the 11th. The one retailer's site indicates that it shipped but they haven't charged my account for it so I'm starting to question whether shipped really means shipped. It doesn't exactly boost my confidence that nothing appears in the tracking number section either. The other retailer has charged my account but I haven't got a notice that it shipped yet and their site doesn't indicate it's shipped yet. I think I'm in hopeful denial. I don't want to call to check on my orders for fear of finding out that I'm not going to get either one of them. I hope at least one of them pulls through. Patience...patience...

Edited by mikelz777

I got a reply to my asking the marketplace seller about the Shank/Cooper and Pacific Jazz Trios Selects (same vendor). He confirmed that both should have been mailed yesterday... hope that's indeed so, I'll only know by end of September, when our favourite jazz buddy from Paris will be back home to check his mail :)

What a difference a bank system update makes! The charge from my "shipped" merchant went through my account this morning! It looks like I'll be getting at least one of the Brookmeyers and that's all I really wanted. The other merchant indicated they usually ship w/i 2-5 business days and the 5th business day would be tomorrow. If I don't hear anything by then I'll probably contact them to see if I'll be getting a 2nd Brookmeyer or if I need to arrange for a refund.

With all the goings-on with these sets, I'm a lot more compelled not to wait around to pick up a set I'm interested in. Fortunately, I was able to jump on the Brookmeyer before the prices got too out of hand. I don't think there's any big sets that I'm interested in enough to spend the asking price. Even the Selects are a bit higher than I like to spend. Of the Selects, I'd be OK with letting the remaining titles slide except maybe the Charles Tolliver. Anyone have thoughts on that one? I'll usually listen to sound samples several times over the course of a couple of weeks and then decide if I really want it. That approach usually weeds out the "I'm more excited to get something new" vs. the "I'd really like this recording." So far, the Tolliver sound samples have held my interest.

This is all very good for you (the ones who got their product) but doesn't help Mosaic a single bit. If only you all would have ordered these set's a little earlier and at Mosaic so they would benefit from it (more than they do now)...........Let this be a wake-up call and please order all the other stuff you have on your wish lists at Mosaic before it's too late!!!!!

This is all very good for you (the ones who got their product) but doesn't help Mosaic a single bit. If only you all would have ordered these set's a little earlier and at Mosaic so they would benefit from it (more than they do now)...........Let this be a wake-up call and please order all the other stuff you have on your wish lists at Mosaic before it's too late!!!!!

well, if I would swim in money... :crazy:

Purchasing brand new sets helps Mosaic. It was Mosaic's business strategy to wholesale the Selects to various retailers. No one should cry if those non-Mosaic sellers actually sell the product (...that they paid Mosaic for). In fact, that's what the strategy is designed to accomplish.

Would you insist that retailers have to charge a price greater than or equal to the Mosaic price, so that everyone then buys from Mosaic (first)?

Should we all purchase BN titles at high prices from BN.com? They are not doing too well right now (and they have a strategy similar to Mosaic's of wholesaling their product to various retailers). Or maybe we should just make charitable contributions to for-profit jazz labels because there isn't much profit right now.

This recent run is not related to the economy. It was a blunder at a manufacturing plant. Current demand exceeds current supply and prices adjust. Maybe Mosaic (or True Blue) should raise their prices on the limited availability items. Of course, if buyers today knew what was going to happen, more sales would have been made earlier (at Mosaic and other sellers).

I've purchased a number of Selects from Mosaic and from other retailers. If Mosaic is going to supply product to sellers that then offer them to me at lower prices, that's where I'll transact. Mosaic could change its strategy to not use retailers (like they've done for decades on the boxes), or charge higher wholesale prices. I'm a fan of their products (...though likely not quite as rabid as many others) and hope that they can weather the economy and manufacturing problem. I will continue to purchase interesting Mosaic products which will benefit Mosaic (as long as they remain with us).

On the other hand you are very willing to get the OOP set's elsewhere (which costs money too I believe).

Yes of course.

But the thing is, it's almost impossible to keep up with the releases, and it makes no sense to buy the new ones as they come out an instead let older releases go OOP without buying them.

If I had the funds, I'd just buy all the older releases and then keep up, but that's just no option, because - great as they are - there are other things I want to hear and explore, as well.

And not to show off or anything, but owning 50+ large boxes (except for a few old vinyl ones and a few Euro Universal ones all bought directly from Mosaic) and 10 or so Selects and some Singles, I guess if Mosaic had a few thousand customers that committed, they'd be well off...

Let's not forget that several of the Selects (Brookmeyer, Pullen, Pepper, Slack) were out of stock at the time they went suddenly OOP, and had been for several months, so even if we wanted to we couldn't purchase directly from Mosaic. On the Brookmeyer, I held back until Mosaic had the money to replenish their stock.

There are still quite a few black box sets on backorder. Here's hoping the same tragedy doesn't happen with those. I've got my eye on the Johnny Smith.

I'm still a bit pissed by Reinier's attack. Just in case: I had them put a Pearson Select aside for me. Yesterday my order was shipped, and it also contained the Anthony Braxton box and a single. Ok? I also own about 20 or 25 in print Mosaic boxes and Selects, and I bought about 6 or 7 of the Singles (which seem to be pretty unsuccesful, alas). However, some of those are Universal Mosaics and I guess I have to be blamed for buying them as well? Holy holy!

On the other hand you are very willing to get the OOP set's elsewhere (which costs money too I believe).

Yes of course.

But the thing is, it's almost impossible to keep up with the releases, and it makes no sense to buy the new ones as they come out an instead let older releases go OOP without buying them.

If I had the funds, I'd just buy all the older releases and then keep up, but that's just no option, because - great as they are - there are other things I want to hear and explore, as well.

And not to show off or anything, but owning 50+ large boxes (except for a few old vinyl ones and a few Euro Universal ones all bought directly from Mosaic) and 10 or so Selects and some Singles, I guess if Mosaic had a few thousand customers that committed, they'd be well off...

I very much agree.

well, if I would swim in money... :crazy:

My thoughts exactly.