Bad news from Mosaic

J.A.W.

There are a good number or Brookmeyer sets on ebay for decent prices. One retailer claims they have 8 available that ship at $50.22.

I've been keeping an eye on that retailer and those copies are now gone. They apparently had 9 for sale ("buy it now") and 8 of those were still available when I became aware of them. They had the set selling a bit cheaper on their web-site so I purchased one there. I see that one buyer snapped up the remaining 7 copies, most likely to re-sell them for a nice profit. I hope everything pans out on this buy. My fingers are crossed and the pieces look to be falling into place. I see that it's no longer listed on their web-site. The Ebay auction said they had 8 copies for sale and the speculative buyer was only able to get 7 of them so I'm hoping the other one he was not able to get was the one I ordered off their web-site. I've received 2 emails from the retailer confirming the order and confirming verification of payment. I was informed that it usually ships 2-5 business days after they confirm payment (which was the 11th) and that they'd send a shipment confirmation email. We'll see what happens.

Edited by mikelz777

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! Just sent an email inquiry.

I have a copy of the Richards Select on order with Borders using a 25%-off coupon, but the web site says it's on 2-week backorder, so I'm doubtful it will ever come. I'd gladly cancel that order if Ron (how can you go wrong with someone named Ron? :rolleyes: ) comes through.

EDIT: Just noticed that the Borders site now says 4-8 weeks! :blink: I guess they're just transitioning to "no longer available." :rolleyes:

Edited by Ron S

Some oop sets can be found on DeepDiscount. Take a look here and check also the next pages.

I suspect that many of those are actually not in stock--I called about the Richards, and it's not. I'd recommend contacting them regarding stock status before--or even after--placing an order. The good news is that they don't charge your credit card until they ship, if I recall correctly.

Some oop sets can be found on DeepDiscount. Take a look here and check also the next pages.

I suspect that many of those are actually not in stock--I called about the Richards, and it's not. I'd recommend contacting them regarding stock status before--or even after--placing an order. The good news is that they don't charge your credit card until they ship, if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately, when you put any of those items in your cart, you'll see the following message:

"This item is temporarily out of stock and will ship to you as soon as product becomes available. We will email you soon with an estimated delivery date. You will not be charged for this item until it is shipped."

I'm guessing that they're never going to become available. They were my first Brookmeyer no-go.

Edited by mikelz777

There are always bad news on this forum whenever I return from vacation .... ordered the Pearson and Amy sets from Mosaic.

Too bad, I wanted the Brookmeyer, Richards and Slack sets eventually. I have all the Bennie Greens on Japanese LPs, so that's one I can do without, but the others.... I'd kick whoever messed this up in the right spots so it'd really hurt.

Edited by mikeweil

The great Atlanta Airlift will be tomorrow. I'll be going to the post office to mail:

Art Pepper Select to Werf

Dexter Gordon Select to djcavanagh

Andrew Hill Select to Guy

as well as Kenton's Back to Balboa (which the same store had) to bebopbob. Sorry I couldn't make someone's day with the PJ Piano Trios - it was still available when I left work that day, so I didn't pick it up.

The great Atlanta Airlift will be tomorrow. I'll be going to the post office to mail:

Art Pepper Select to Werf

Dexter Gordon Select to djcavanagh

Andrew Hill Select to Guy

as well as Kenton's Back to Balboa (which the same store had) to bebopbob. Sorry I couldn't make someone's day with the PJ Piano Trios - it was still available when I left work that day, so I didn't pick it up.

You are a saint, sir. :tup

I want that Ellington 30s set!

greg mo

I guess most folks already have the 2008 Euro-Sony Original Masters Ellington 1932-1939? Those are 'gray-market' in the USA for exactly the same copyright/royalty issues as affects 'Andorran' imports or 'Euro-Mosaics', so some may have scruples. If you can find one though they are dirt-cheap and well worth a few $$$ investment as a bulwark against the non-emergence of the proposed Mosaic 10CD epic.

I don't think the Original Masters Ellington 1932-1939 was ever a "grey" market release and it has since gone OOP.

There is a new one avaiable for £179.39 on Amazon.co.uk though.

I don't want to sound harsh but if Mosaic is experiencing problems, either because of the recent disaster or because of the general shitness of the economy in general, I can't help but feel they brought a little of it on themselves. I know every business needs to grow to suceed but things like Mosaic Contemporary and going back to producing Vinyl didn't seem to me to be great ideas. The Complete Thelonious Monk At The It Club for $100 doesn't really make sense even in the good times. And although Mosaic Singles was a good idea, some of the choices seemed a little strange, did anybody out there really want George Wein - Is Alive And Well or Jimmy Witherspoon - Goin To Kansas City? I know they are limited in what the can do with regards to licences and what the majors will let them have but when you're charging top dollar for a single cd surely there must be more inspiried stuff than this? Judging by the majority of the recent big sets they were going for artists with a bit more universal appeal, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Oscar Peterson etc rather than or indeed to help pay for the Anthony Braxton type sets.

I do like the big boxes and the Selects, maybe not as much as I used to, and obviously I want to see them continue but maybe they should stick to doing what they do best, ie the big boxes and the Selects?

I don't want to sound harsh but if Mosaic is experiencing problems, either because of the recent disaster or because of the general shitness of the economy in general, I can't help but feel they brought a little of it on themselves. I know every business needs to grow to suceed but things like Mosaic Contemporary and going back to producing Vinyl didn't seem to me to be great ideas. The Complete Thelonious Monk At The It Club for $100 doesn't really make sense even in the good times. And although Mosaic Singles was a good idea, some of the choices seemed a little strange, did anybody out there really want George Wein - Is Alive And Well or Jimmy Witherspoon - Goin To Kansas City? I know they are limited in what the can do with regards to licences and what the majors will let them have but when you're charging top dollar for a single cd surely there must be more inspiried stuff than this? Judging by the majority of the recent big sets they were going for artists with a bit more universal appeal, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Oscar Peterson etc rather than or indeed to help pay for the Anthony Braxton type sets.

I do like the big boxes and the Selects, maybe not as much as I used to, and obviously I want to see them continue but maybe they should stick to doing what they do best, ie the big boxes and the Selects?

That Mosaic Contemporary website is just bizarre.

They'd maybe have done themselves a favor with the Braxton to exclude the Four Orchestras thing and sell it as a snappier, easier-to-shift 6 CD set. I agree about the big-name big boxes, though not about Selects which I can't quite be bothered with. The big boxes suffer a little in some cases from incompleteness, which annoys collectors, and in some cases from the terrible booklet texts. But when big-name sets come out they go on everybody's wishlist, and, as you say, unlike George Wein, that is a huge plus.

That Mosaic Contemporary website is just bizarre.

They'd maybe have done themselves a favor with the Braxton to exclude the Four Orchestras thing and sell it as a snappier, easier-to-shift 6 CD set. I agree about the big-name big boxes, though not about Selects which I can't quite be bothered with. The big boxes suffer a little in some cases from incompleteness, which annoys collectors, and in some cases from the terrible booklet texts. But when big-name sets come out they go on everybody's wishlist, and, as you say, unlike George Wein, that is a huge plus.

Yea, I checked the Mosaic Contemporary website when I was typing my post and it is, as the Trailer Park Boys would no doubt say, fucked in the head!!!. It also looks like they have already bailed on it.