Pepper Adams/Donald Byrd "Out of This World"

riverrat

Great session, particularly the title track. I think it is as good as the various Byrd-Adams sessions issued on Blue Note. Things couldn't have gone wrong with such a line up: Byrd, Adams, Herbie Hancock, Laymon Jackson and Jimmy Cobb.

I only have the original record on Warwick Records - which is a pretty noisy pressing - so I can't comment on the sonic of the Fresh Sound reissue.

• 9 years later...

These sessions in their various incarnations have been discussed a few times here, but I'm trying to get clarity on something: While these represent Herbie Hancock's first recordings, my understanding is that they were not released at the time and Byrd's "Royal Flush," recording in Sept. 1961 and presumably released around the end of that year, was the first time anyone had heard Herbie in record. Is this correct?

Checking my Down Beat review annuals I see Out of this World was reviewed in 1961 and Royal Flush in 1963.

Hmm. Interesting, thanks. Does it say which issue in '61? I've got most of them at home.

How could it be that Byrd would have a record come out on Warwick right in the middle of what I assume would be an exclusive contract with Blue Note -- unless the early '61 recording was literally after one BN deal had ended and another had started?

Checking my Down Beat review annuals I see Out of this World was reviewed in 1961 and Royal Flush in 1963.

Hmm. Interesting, thanks. Does it say which issue in '61? I've got most of them at home.

How could it be that Byrd would have a record come out on Warwick right in the middle of what I assume would be an exclusive contract with Blue Note -- unless the early '61 recording was literally after one BN deal had ended and another had started?

The annuals reprint the reviews but don't mention the issue.

My Google shows me that on the original album, Pepper Adams had top billing, for whatever that's worth.

dsc_00021.jpgdsc_0004.jpg

The Fresh Sound CD has a problem, IIRC. I think the song 'Curro's' is repeated so instead of 12 minutes, it's the 6 minute track played over. I'll have to check.

Bertrand.

Ah, so you DO get one alternate at least......... :)

I must say that I'd never have noticed. I thought it was just twice round the block for that tune. If it's true then the solos on the second part of the tune are different from those in the first part. Not the most interesting tune on the CD, IMO.

Edited by Head Man

Anybody have a good source for good, complete discographical info for this date?

In particular, accurate composer credits? Any Herbie-penned tunes? Thanks in advance!

From the Fresh Sounds website:

1. Byrd House (Donald Byrd)

2. Mr. Lucky (Henry Mancini)

3. Day Dreams (Ellintong-Strayhorn-Latouche)

4. I'm An Old Cowhand (Johnny Mercer)

5. Curro's (Donald Byrd)

6. It's a Beautiful Evening (Wayne-Rasch)

7. Out Of This World (Arlen-Mercer)

Recorded in NYC, 1961

Herbie Hancock (p), Donald Byrd (tp), Pepper Adams (bs), Laymon Jackson (b), Jimmy Cobb (d), Teddy Charles (vb #6)

Edited by Head Man

from my (old) Bruyninckx source:

Day dreams - , -
Bird house - , -
Out of this world - , -
61WA70 Mr. Lucky theme - , -
61WA71 It's a beautiful evening (1) - , -
Curro's (alt take) T.C.B. 1006
Note : Warwick LP2041 = T.C.B. Records TCB1002 entitled "Takin' care of business" and issued wrongly as by "Donald Byrd/Herbie Hancock" = Fresh Sound (Sp)FSR638 = (Sp)FSRCD137 that contains the complete extended versions of the Warwick LP2041.
-Out of this world Vol 2- : same pers.
New York, 1961
Curro's Fresh Sound (Sp)FRS347
Day dreams -
Bird house -
Out of this world -
Mr. Lucky theme -
I'm an old cowhand -
Note : The first 5 titles are apparently alternate takes. Although the review doesn't mention this specifically it states that on Volume 2 Herbie Hancock gets more playing time.