Kenny Dorham

Claude Schlouch

chuck, i want to learn:

so you know a guy who has the best generation of this, what i assume, is a AM radio station b'cast? you know who has the best/only copy, and you took care of all the $/legal details etc, then you make a dat of it then create a cd glass master from it?

things i do not need help on: this is awesome

kenny dorham live in concert-- wait to we already know the personel/songs, etc? if its a suprise i can totally can wait

PS CHUCK

did u hear how i found a "Butcher Cover"??? its one of the most highly sought record albums of all time, in a way---im sure you must know about this....

Edited by chewy

Great news!

I've never heard (of) any live shows with KD and Henderson... some stuff with Sonny Red is floating around, but it's in horrible sound. Also some with Fathead... would be great if these could be resurrected in acceptable sound, but I won't hold my breath.

hey ubu, whats up w/ the poor sound quality KD-Sonny red stuff? who else is on that, etc? is that known?

Ronnie Mathews turns up as well there, not sure about the others, will have to look it up.

It's radio stuff as well, I think, but much of it so bad it's hard to listen... not sure if those are Alan Grant shows as well, but I don't think so.

Thanks, didn't remember that thread!

upon third reading i stumbled upon this sentence btw (by michael fitzgerald)

"There's another 1967 Dorham date floating around out there with: Kenny Dorham, Gene Harris, Victor Sproles, Jimmy Lovelace, Joe Lee Wilson."

"There's another 1967 Dorham date floating around out there with: Kenny Dorham, Gene Harris, Victor Sproles, Jimmy Lovelace, Joe Lee Wilson."

Hm, I don't think I've seen/heard that one!

Brownie just reminded me of another one, in fine quality: there's a Left Bank Jazz Society one from 1965, with Jimmy Heath and KD. That one is in sound as good (or bad - your take!) as the released Left Bank sessions by Hubbard, Hubbard/Heath, Kelly/Mobley, Kelly/Coleman etc.

Would have been a worthy entrance in Label M's catalogue, but I guess those ventures are over now :(

I'm kind of glad I missed this the first time around because then I'd be more disappointed that its never shown up. Does Mike know that tapes exist? You'd think they'd be out there in collector's circles if there were.

hey ubu, whats up w/ the poor sound quality KD-Sonny red stuff? who else is on that, etc? is that known?

Chewy,

The one you are asking about is:

Kenny Dorham - The Shadow Of Your Smile - West Wind 2049

It has Sonny Red, Cedar Walton, John Ore, and Hugh Walter on drums.

It's too bad the sound quality is so poor though I kept it because

I like K.D. Sonny Red, and cedar so much.

The drummer Hugh Walter is not someone I ever heard of other than on

this CD.

just in case, here's the info for the Heath show from Left Bank Jazz Society mentioned above:

Jimmy Heath Ensemble

Left Bank Jazz Society

Morgan College Baltimore, MD (USA)

May 25, 1965

Kenny Dorham - trumpet

Sonny Red - alto sax

Jimmy Heath - tenor & soprano sax

Pepper Adams - baritone sax

Cedar Walton - piano

Reggie Workman - bass

Roy Brooks - drums

1. FM Ann > Ginger Bread Boy [fade in] > Ann JH (15:06)

2. Ann JH > Be My Love > When Sonny Gets Blue > Ann JH (12:28)

3. Project S (19:03)

TT: 46:38

Source: Radio

• 4 months later...

Up, now that I have bought the KD Flamboyan CD.

The back cover says January 1963, but Blumenthal's liner notes seem to imply that it was in June. Which is it?

Bertrand.

That was my question on an earlier thread. January would make it the very first Joe Henderson on record.

Up, now that I have bought the KD Flamboyan CD.

The back cover says January 1963, but Blumenthal's liner notes seem to imply that it was in June. Which is it?

Bertrand.

I don't have any inside info, but it must have been before the Una Mas session, which was in April. If it was after that, then the fourth tune would probably have been called Una Mas at the Flamboyan. January makes sense to me.