Ella in Hollywood

crisp

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone bite on that "Best of" single CD that came out a couple months ago? It has a single cut that wasn't on the box! Of course. ("Take the A Train.) (It showed up at yourmusic.com, but even at $7 I think I can safely pass.)

Would that be the same 9 minute version that's on Ella in Hollywood?

The contents of that album are NOT part of the box, just in case anyone wonders!

Think this is a different version than the one on the original "Hollywood." There were likely dozens of performances of the tune from that engagement to choose from.

Ok... I'll gladly skip though. Annoying, but happily I'm no Ella completist... I'd be living under a bridge with seven bags of Ella discs otherwise, I guess :g

• 2 months later...

I can't quite figure out why they've repackaged this into 2, 2-disk sets. Did the 4 CD box not sell?

The 4-CD set was a limited edition from Hip-O Select. These 2-disc sets are apparently repackaged by Universal for the masses, without the fancy hard-back book. rolleyes.gif

Ohhhhhhhhhh, OK. I didn't realize it was a limited edition. Glad I got it. It's a wonderful set.

• 2 months later...

Sorry folks! but the set I bought is not the original version (which had several post-production problems)!

The one I got has this closeup image of Ella, not the waistup image from the original release:

51uwtgdsqWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It has the liner notes and the 4 Cds from the original release but in a 7.5 inches format!

That new release does not seem to show up on the internet yet. All the 4CDset images only show the original one!

Sorry folks! but the set I bought is not the original version (which had several post-production problems)!

The one I got has this closeup image of Ella, not the waistup image from the original release:

51uwtgdsqWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It has the liner notes and the 4 Cds from the original release but in a 7.5 inches format!

That new release does not seem to show up on the internet yet. All the 4CDset images only show the original one!

Interesting about the cover. Sounds like the same package I have - 7.5" book format w/liners and cardboard CD pages. I wonder why the different version of the cover image?