Ella in Hollywood

crisp

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's tedious and annoying why bother? Is it such a big deal to have some duplicating threads? It doesn't bother me. Does it bother a lot of others?

Just asking.

I think it's easier and less bothersome to have all info and opinions on a particular topic in one place instead of having to wade through several threads with the same topic. It's also easier for moderators to keep an eye on.

Edited by J.A.W.

Okay, I can see that. I read almost every thread that shows up every day so it doesn't matter to me. And these combined threads are a lot harder to read than separate ones for me.

Not sure that it's easier for the moderators to keep an eye on. And it's an effort to combine as Larry notes. I'm just saying that for me the effort could be undone. No harm done for me. And if it's easier for the moderators to not have to do I'm with that.

My understanding is that this ALL newly released material... I have the box... Pretty good (A little uneven... but overall good.)

Isn't the How High the Moon on here on Pure Ella?

This is actually the same source material as Ella In Hollywood. I've never heard that album but apparently it had a bunch of extra applause which this of course does not.

NPR was playing it today and I was blown away- I'm not even that big of a fan. But like everyone else here I've heard like a gazillion Ella albums, comps and box sets but this is probably the best one.

Ella's Verve material is often so weighed down with orchestration and heady concepts that it's a joy to just here her as a jazz singer. The sound quality is really great, too.

I'm not really that big a fan of Ella, so I will pass on the box, but I may be in the market for Ella in Hollywood as a present for my mother-in-law. I know that Yourmusic still has it. Can anyone comment if, in the remastering of Ella in Hollywood to put it out on the Verve Elite series (I believe), they cut back on the applause levels? Thanks.

Eric

My local store has tried to oder this from a couple distributers, no luck. The "Times" article downplays the original "Ella in Hollywood" album, but I've always thought it was one of her best, and was very happy to get the recent reissue. Don't know anything about the original sales, but often heard one or two cuts from it on the "pop" radio station I listened to at the time, in the pre-FM days, when the playlists seemed more open.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw this in a store for the first time today - nice!

Had no idea it was oversize, thought it would be similar to the Verve "Jazz Scene" set, roughly.

I think I'll really need to buy this one, eventually...

How does it compare to the Verve 2CD set from Mister Kelly's that came out a while ago? That one's from 1958, one night, main set plus late set (a bit shorter), with Lou Levy as well, but without Herb Ellis (just Ella plus p/b/d). Caught an earful of it today at the store and it sounded fine to me!

My local store couldn't get it, but several copies appeared this week. Thinking I'd never find it, I picked up the "Mr. Kelly's" set, which I figured would be a consolation. It's a good one, pretty informal. Several of the same routines reappear on the "Hollywood" box.

• 5 months later...

Did anyone bite on that "Best of" single CD that came out a couple months ago? It has a single cut that wasn't on the box! Of course. ("Take the A Train.) (It showed up at yourmusic.com, but even at $7 I think I can safely pass.)