You're not going to believe this...

mjzee

I think we all should love them a little harder if we want to see them surviving this year........

Well I've seen this post hang out there all day and no one has touched it. So I'll ask....

I know, Reinier, that you're closer to what's going on at Mosaic than most here on the board. We also know that CD sales are dropping, that jazz CD sales are dropping even faster (or might have fallen into total irrelevance), that jazz in general is a very hard sell, that the jazz fan population is getting older, that the recession has really taken a dent out of disposable income, that major labels are closing down their jazz production, that it is more costly than ever to lease the material, and the the European copyright laws make it easy for certain labels to put out material at a bargain price.

All that said, is your remark about Mosaic surviving the year based on fact? speculation? inside information? an educated guess? hear-say? an assumption based on all or some of the aforementioned factors?

I will purchase some sets from them this year to do what I can.

I ordered all the sets they have back in stock last year, and all the new ones. I miss only two sets IP, and I'll order them in the next months. All for Mosaic, the last hope for jazz-CD-lovers!

Just got an email from True Blue:

Amongst the news......

- On January 31 Phil Schaap's Jazz Store will move on and its items (a wide assortment of autographed books, CDs, DVDs and framed art) will no longer be available through True Blue Music.

- At the same time, True Blue Music will discontinue its jazz poster and jazz art offerings.

- LAST CHANCE ON VINYL CLEARANCE SALE

Unfortunately TheBestVinylShop.Com will shut done on January 31. With the exception of our Mosaic Records titles and the used LPs in Scott's Bargain Basement which are already nicely priced, we have put our entire inventory of LPs on sale. We have only one or two copies of many of these titles so it's first come, first serve.

Maybe they're just shoring up their affairs. Frankly I find True Blue to be pretty irrelevant anyways.

That said, my goals for this year include ordering 5 more Selects and the Herman, Hampton, and Lester Young sets. And hopefully the Threadgill.

I wonder, though, if we'll see any more Selects come out at all. It's coming on two years since the Handy and Zeitlin sets, no?

Edited by colinmce

Maybe they're just shoring up their affairs. Frankly I find True Blue to be pretty irrelevant anyways.

That said, my goals for this year include ordering 5 more Selects and the Herman, Hampton, and Lester Young sets. And hopefully the Threadgill.

I wonder, though, if we'll see any more Selects come out at all. It's coming on two years since the Handy and Zeitlin sets, no?

I'm pretty sure I remember a post telling us there were no more singles in the pipeline. Don't know about selects, but they're much cheaper to produce than the big boxes. I'm spending all my mystical karma energy willing that Duke Ellington 30s big band box into being! The last message I got from Scott Wenzel promised they were doing it....

gregmo

OK, let's start a business and here's how it will work. We'll charge high prices for readily available items that can be had from multiple sources for far less money. Oh, I almost forgot, we'll charge a lot for shipping too. Anyone with their head screwed even half way on would say, "whose dumb ass business plan is that?" Answer? True Blue. Perhaps when times were better and people had more disposable income, it could work, but when the economy goes south and discretionary spending with it, your business model is like the emperor's new clothes. FWIW, If I was going to try to make a go of it in online jazz music retail, I would focus most all of my efforts on bringing Japanese CD's to the American market. At least then you can justify charging premium prices because whatever the demand might be, it's greater than the supply.

What I wonder is to what extent, if any, True Blue's issues may have contributed to Mosaic's financial difficulties.

OK, let's start a business and here's how it will work. We'll charge high prices for readily available items that can be had from multiple sources for far less money. Oh, I almost forgot, we'll charge a lot for shipping too. Anyone with their head screwed even half way on would say, "whose dumb ass business plan is that?" Answer? True Blue. Perhaps when times were better and people had more disposable income, it could work, but when the economy goes south and discretionary spending with it, your business model is like the emperor's new clothes. FWIW, If I was going to try to make a go of it in online jazz music retail, I would focus most all of my efforts on bringing Japanese CD's to the American market. At least then you can justify charging premium prices because whatever the demand might be, it's greater than the supply.

What I wonder is to what extent, if any, True Blue's issues may have contributed to Mosaic's financial difficulties.

Good point.

MG