romualdo

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Putting a plug in for the Dave Douglas box set: 3 albums with his Dresser or Gress/Friedlander/Feldman/Sarin group, including the incomparable Convergence; ROVA's "Ascension"; a Tim Berne-produced Mark Dresser date; and a John Lindberg date w/ Ed Thigpen, Douglas, & Larry Ochs. Which is to say the set is split equally between state-of-the-art 1990's NYC Downtown music and some of what was happening on the West Coast at the same time. Great variety on here and this is when Douglas was on fire. The writing on the leader dates is superb and the improvisations on the sideman dates are incisive. A joy from top to bottom, and one of the essential sets in this series IMO.

Putting a plug in for the Dave Douglas box set: 3 albums with his Dresser or Gress/Friedlander/Feldman/Sarin group, including the incomparable Convergence; ROVA's "Ascension"; a Tim Berne-produced Mark Dresser date; and a John Lindberg date w/ Ed Thigpen, Douglas, & Larry Ochs. Which is to say the set is split equally between state-of-the-art 1990's NYC Downtown music and some of what was happening on the West Coast at the same time. Great variety on here and this is when Douglas was on fire. The writing on the leader dates is superb and the improvisations on the sideman dates are incisive. A joy from top to bottom, and one of the essential sets in this series IMO.

I agree, he was on fire during this period. I already have all the CDs so won't buying the boxset, though.

I have a few of the Soul Note sets - such a great label!

The ones I have:

Bill Dixon

Dave Douglas

Paul Motian

George Russell

Lester Bowie

Muhal Richard Abrams

Anthony Braxton

Cecil Taylor

Steve Lacy

I started with the Dixon set since I have an abiding love for his playing. I had individual discs from some of these sets, but didn't hesitate to get the box anyway if it contained titles I wanted. They work out to be good value considering the price the individual discs go for sometimes.

Packaging? Well, it's a sturdy box, and looks good on the shelf. The cardboard covers are clearly low rent, and the lack of a booklet is disapointing. I will say though - even as individual discs, there were different production runs. I already had two copies of the individual disc release of a Dixon album - one of them had 8 pages of an article, the other only had pages 1 and 7! And no, no staple marks to suggest the pages had just been torn out and lost.

I decided that the music was the thing, and happily bought a bunch of them. I'd like more, but at the moment I'm engrossed elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

I've only listened to From G to C so far. About three times (I have had these on cd for some time as well). I think it sounds great.

On the Hoffman board several are complaining about the 75th anniversary Blue Note cds from Japan saying they are loud and compressed and bad eq. Most of these sound great to me on my system, with real depth and dynamics. I guess I'm lucky, my Decware and PS Audio component system really gives me a lot of listening pleasure and I don't worry that much about mastering.

I've only listened to From G to C so far. About three times (I have had these on cd for some time as well). I think it sounds great.

On the Hoffman board several are complaining about the 75th anniversary Blue Note cds from Japan saying they are loud and compressed and bad eq. Most of these sound great to me on my system, with real depth and dynamics. I guess I'm lucky, my Decware and PS Audio component system really gives me a lot of listening pleasure and I don't worry that much about mastering.

Try "Around Small Fairy Tales".

I'm just saying my system really satisfies me because I don't seem to have to worry about masterings the way others seem to. I like to talk audio, sorry. It's important in my life, and I could probably buy a Porsche with what I have in my stereo systems.

I'll get there to that one bogdan but I have little listening time these days and much lined up to listen to.

Edited by jazzbo

I'm just saying my system really satisfies me because I don't seem to have to worry about masterings the way others seem to. I like to talk audio, sorry. It's important in my life, and I could probably buy a Porsche with what I have in my stereo systems.

I get it. But it's going to cost you a dollar every time. Payable to B3groover. ;)

What does that graph tell us?

Basically that this particular track, "Verano" from "Around Small Fairy Tales" has been compressed and clipped; the peaks don't have any room left under the 1.0 line, which is the maximum amplitude that can be represented by the digital file. And indeed it sounds loud from start to finish, harsh and fatiguing.

Basically that this particular track, "Verano" from "Around Small Fairy Tales" has been compressed and clipped; the peaks don't have any room left under the 1.0 line, which is the maximum amplitude that can be represented by the digital file. And indeed it sounds loud from start to finish, harsh and fatiguing.

Have you done the same analysis on the original CD release?

Have you done the same analysis on the original CD release?

No, I don't have it.

I HATE these box sets. The ones I've heard and compared to the original CDs sounded horrible.

CAM jazz is butchering the Black Saint & Soul Note catalogs. They should have just collected the original CD masterings in budget box sets.

The ones i've heard (about 14 sets, though not the Trovesi or any of the other recent ones) sound fine to me, at least not butchered. Not really wanting to get into a massive discussion about it as i feel like we've been there before: just want to present an alternative viewpoint FWIW.