Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, to be precise it appears I am "da burly man." That's what my GF has been consistently calling me. I have been called worse! :)

Looking forward to these new ones. I've bought every set so far, and even those I was looking at a little bit funnily before listening have been rewarding listens.

Been listening to a lot of this stuff on the Cam jazz site and the one that is most eye-opening for me is the bill Dixon. I'd avoided most of his black saint stuff previously, finding what I'd heard just too out there. Loved his stuff on savoy and RCA but the bs stuff just didn't move me. Listening more closely Im getting a different picture - a lot of quiet artistry going on. Anybody else getting a new appreciation for any of the musicians in this series?

I gained a new appreciation for eighties era Jimmy Giuffre. I gained greater appreciation for Joe Lovano via the Motian set. Was pleasantly surprised by some of the stuff on the Muhal set, admiration increased.

I'm feeling the same way about the Muhal. Really enjoying it.

Any thoughts on the Julius Hemphill set? Listened to some of it on the Cam jazz site and what I heard sounded very interesting.

Yeah as the others have said the Hemphill is awesome. A nice mix of material too... I always seem to have one of the albums from this set on my ipod at any given time... currently Flat Out Jump Suite, which is a great album that gets better everytime i hear it. Cheers.

Been listening to a lot of this stuff on the Cam jazz site and the one that is most eye-opening for me is the bill Dixon. I'd avoided most of his black saint stuff previously, finding what I'd heard just too out there. Loved his stuff on savoy and RCA but the bs stuff just didn't move me. Listening more closely Im getting a different picture - a lot of quiet artistry going on. Anybody else getting a new appreciation for any of the musicians in this series?

I gained a new appreciation for eighties era Jimmy Giuffre. I gained greater appreciation for Joe Lovano via the Motian set. Was pleasantly surprised by some of the stuff on the Muhal set, admiration increased.

I'm feeling the same way about the Muhal. Really enjoying it.

Any thoughts on the Julius Hemphill set? Listened to some of it on the Cam jazz site and what I heard sounded very interesting.

Yeah as the others have said the Hemphill is awesome. A nice mix of material too... I always seem to have one of the albums from this set on my ipod at any given time... currently Flat Out Jump Suite, which is a great album that gets better everytime i hear it. Cheers.

Thanks man

Definitely getting the Lyons. On the fence re Sun Ra and Chico. And with the Blackwell - is it worth getting if I already have the magnificent duet album with Dewey Redman (if you don't - get this box!!!!) and the two O&ND albums?

Yes!

Every note from Ed Blackwell is precious-- you could get by listening to any album just because he's on it. Walls & Bridges, though, is especially good and is presented in its rare two-disc incarnation.

I'm sure the prices will come down. I can wait. It would be highly beneficial to the listener if they included a booklet with readable type, but I guess it's not going to happen.

Probably not.

It's been pointed out many times they could make pdf liner notes available on line for everybody. Important historical documents and even a fly would have a hard time reading it.

To my mind the Trovesi records here are much more enjoyable than the ones he's done for ECM. I'm not an ECM naysayer - love the label for all sorts of reasons - but have never felt they've captured his folksiness and playfulness in the way these records did.

They are out there on Spotify if you want to try before you buy.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

According to Trovesi's homepage, Cinque ... and Baghet are early (ca 1980) Trovesi albums on Dischi della Quercia (not Soul Note), Electric Five and Missa are Sideman appearances on BSSN (with Enrico Rava and Alfredo Impulliti), the last one (Nivola) is a more recent (2002) sideman appearance with Marco Remondini

Edited by Niko

Remondini was a regular Trovesi sideman at some point, "Electric Five" is duplicated between this and the Rava set (and it's good no great, I'd say), don't think I've ever heard of Alfredo Impulliti ...

Anyway, re: Trovesi on ECM, I guess I agree - the Trovesi/Coscia on Egea is better than their ECMs I've heard. But add Enja to the game, if only for "Round About a Midsummer's Dream" - that, to me, is probably one of the finest jazz albums of the nineties.

MI0002762251.jpg