Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

I definitely want the Steve Lacy set. The only drag is that 2 of the 5 albums included in the Lyons box were also included in the Andrew Cyrille Box which I already own. I also own all five of the discs included in the Lyons box as individual CDs. In a perfect world I would be getting this one, but I am not sure the upgrade on presumably only three of the five discs makes sense for me.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guess it would make sense to compare the two in the Cyrille box with the older editions before ordering the Lyons ... not sure my lousy ears bother anyway, so I guess I'll skip it. But I still need most of the latest batch (including the Hemphill, of which I only have two separately).

Is it me or the prices have raised a bit, combined to the level of the Euro to our local Buck and they ain't cheap , the Sun Ra comes at around 35 bucks for 4 cds , don't get me wrong it is worth it but we're far away from a budget series especially when the added values are on the cheap side.(No booklet and mostly unreadable notes.)

Gianluigi Trovesi is a genius level composer and at least three if the records that look like are in the box are the best of modern Italian jazz/folk music.

From G to G and Les Hommes Armes are the best of the best - the great octet with Pino Minafra at his side. Very accessible yet very adventurous at the same time. I'm trying to see all the recordings listed but this is a box I get as I don't have the latter any longer.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Can anyone figure out what the Trovesi albums are?

I can't read what looks like a whole bunch of albums that, like the early Gaslini records on the box set that I don't yet have, I didn't even know existed.

The third Soul Note I know of is "Around Small Fairy Tales".

Perhaps some of the others in the box are ones where he's the co-leader or a sideman? He's on three albums by Dino Betti van Deer Noot.

Edited by alankin

Can anyone figure out what the Trovesi albums are?

I can't read what looks like a whole bunch of albums that, like the early Gaslini records on the box set that I don't yet have, I didn't even know existed.

The third Soul Note I know of is "Around Small Fairy Tales".

Perhaps some of the others in the box are ones where he's the co-leader or a sideman? He's on three albums by Dino Betti van Deer Noot.

Why I'm very intrigued. I love Around Small Fairly Tales as well.

nice overall - that Trovesi set looks very interesting

the later Chico Hamiltons are also appealing - one is a tribute to Eric Dolphy (My Panamanian Friend)

The Blackwell has overlap - two from the Haden set (Old & New Dreams) & one from the David Murray second box (Morning Song)

Hopefully Amazon France offers a special multiple deal like they did with the last batch

The fact that Steve Lacy thought so highly of her, credited her as his muse, is enough for me to show her respect. The fact is that I like her vocals on many of the albums for themselves (not all, not every time, but often enough), and for the fact that they were obviously a part of Lacy's musical vision. It's a shame that with interest in Lacy still at a high, that somehow she is not benefiting from that, if she is indeed in dire straits.

Enough already about the prices, contents, etc. of these boxes. What's the deal with Irene Aebi?

I only know the informed gossip of those close to the source, but apparently mental health issues and poor handling of Lacy estate matters have left her in a serious pickle. Unless you were asking an aesthetic question... I have no problem with her aesthetically though I agree her voice is an acquired taste.

Enough already about the prices, contents, etc. of these boxes. What's the deal with Irene Aebi?

I only know the informed gossip of those close to the source, but apparently mental health issues and poor handling of Lacy estate matters have left her in a serious pickle. Unless you were asking an aesthetic question... I have no problem with her aesthetically though I agree her voice is an acquired taste.

it`s a shame - with supposedly a large number of dedicated Lacy followers - that no capable person was available to help/handle the estate properly.....but after the french lacy website went down not too long after his death, releases (there should be inter alias a number of live lacy/avenel/betsch recordings in existence..) of unissued material were rather scarce.....

Edited by soulpope

The fact that Steve Lacy thought so highly of her, credited her as his muse, is enough for me to show her respect. The fact is that I like her vocals on many of the albums for themselves (not all, not every time, but often enough), and for the fact that they were obviously a part of Lacy's musical vision. It's a shame that with interest in Lacy still at a high, that somehow she is not benefiting from that, if she is indeed in dire straits.

:tup

Funny, i went for years recoiling at the mere thought of her. But just within the last few months, the lightbulb, it is coming on. It is an acquired taste, and finally I am beginning to acquire it.

I only hope that somebody shows up who will be able to tend to her current needs in a humane manner. With people, you never know what you're gonna get...

I've only heard the 3 Trovesi albums with him as a leader plus The Village Fair which is a brilliant session with rhythm and horns by Guido Manusardi.

I have no idea what or who or how any of those other albums by, for or against or when on earth they were recorded or released?!?!?

Kind of like those older mysterious Gaslini records that are on his box set, I suppose.

I need to get both boxes but the Trovesi comes first

For those who don't know, I'm known off and on for some hyperbole but my praise of the great composer/alto saxophonist/clarinetist is fully warranted.

In a different world, a major voice - in reality a major voice.

One of my dreams has been to see a version of his octet live - sadly I bet they didn't or don't get much play in the home country as well. Mysterious that this melodically vibrant or even almost pretty music hasn't gained more acceptance or ears over these past decades.

One of my dreams has been to see a version of his octet live - sadly I bet they didn't or don't get much play in the home country as well. Mysterious that this melodically vibrant or even almost pretty music hasn't gained more acceptance or ears over these past decades.

I've seen Trovesi's Octet at least once. I seem to recall them doing a Shakesperean tribute with strings on one of those occasions.

I've seen Trovesi's Octet at least once. I seem to recall them doing a Shakesperean tribute with strings on one of those occasions.

That would have been the nonet, I assume - the "Midsummer's Dream" programme? That was kinda three trios: cl/as, g, d (the jazz/rock one) / v, vla, cello (the classical) / acc, b, tamb (the folksy) - love the disc! And yeah, would love to have caught the Ottetto ... they did indeed tour at least in 2002, there are some (one?) recordings around from European radio.

Been listening to a lot of this stuff on the Cam jazz site and the one that is most eye-opening for me is the bill Dixon. I'd avoided most of his black saint stuff previously, finding what I'd heard just too out there. Loved his stuff on savoy and RCA but the bs stuff just didn't move me. Listening more closely Im getting a different picture - a lot of quiet artistry going on. Anybody else getting a new appreciation for any of the musicians in this series?

I gained a new appreciation for eighties era Jimmy Giuffre. I gained greater appreciation for Joe Lovano via the Motian set. Was pleasantly surprised by some of the stuff on the Muhal set, admiration increased.

I'm feeling the same way about the Muhal. Really enjoying it.

Any thoughts on the Julius Hemphill set? Listened to some of it on the Cam jazz site and what I heard sounded very interesting.