Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strange omissions on some of these, especially the Max Roach, which left out all of the quartet titles. I'm in for the Hill and probably the Wheeler.  May also get the Mingus, even thought I already have all of the titles on individual CD's.  I like the packaging and mastering on these sets (I know others don't).

Hm, hadn't have any time to check, but the Roach one DID appear to be small ... how many albums are missing? Enough to grant a second set? (more than four or vie, or else it's probably not going to happen as they've done boxes up to 9 or 10 discs - the Gaslini even was 11 and still not complete, not even for Dischi della quercia, but I'm not complaining too loudly as this was my first chance to grab this music).

It's got Lee Konitz!

cdmaxroach-itschristmasagain.JPG

That one, a live and a studio double quartet set, three quartet sets, that I can think of right off.  So enough for another box, yes, but still strange to me.  Also, why haven't the 70's RCA Roach quartets with Billy Harper ever seen CD?  And the Columbia quartet, "Chattahoochie Red"?  And why didn't the Roach Horo make it out when those other Horo sets did?  Roach as a leader in the 70's and early 80's is underrated, even as famous as he (rightly) is!

Right now, the Blake is the only real "need" for me, and then to fill in more gaps than exist duplications, although, maybe, the Wheeler, should the compass ever begin really pointing that way. You never know. Life is short, but long until it's not.

Short Life of Barbara Monk, though, really, really fine music.

The Hill's a treasure trove for anyone who hasn't got the titles already.

The Mitchell and the Blake could both fill big holes in my collection. Interesting

Yes, I'm definitely getting the Hill. Seriously considering the Blake and Mitchell despite some duplication.

MaxRoach_zpsbcfrnghp.jpg

Trying to sort things out - asterisk means inlcuded:

*Max Roach Featuring Anthony Braxton - Birth and Rebirth  (Black Saint BSR 0024)
Max Roach - Pictures in a Frame  (Soul Note SN 1003)
*Max Roach and Cecil Taylor - Historic Concerts  (Soul Note SN 1100/1)
*Max Roach and Cecil Taylor - Historic Concerts  (Soul Note 121100/1-2)
Max Roach - In the Light  (Soul Note SN 1053)
Max Roach Double Quartet Live at Vielharmonic  (Soul Note SN 1073)
Max Roach - Scott Free  (Soul Note SN 1103)
Max Roach - It's Christmas Again  (Soul Note SN 1153)
*M'Boom - Collage  (Soul Note SN 1059)
*Max Roach - Survivors  (Soul Note SN 1093)
Max Roach Double Quartet - Easy Winners  (Soul Note SN 1109)
*Max Roach Double Quartet - Bright Moments  (Soul Note SN 1159)

So there really seems to be no rationale ... but with six more albums remaining, I guess chances for a second box aren't all that bad - at least I hope so! (With Muhal, I don't dare hoping so, thus got the missing pieces one by one - not exactly easy with some of them.)

That one, a live and a studio double quartet set, three quartet sets, that I can think of right off.  So enough for another box, yes, but still strange to me.  Also, why haven't the 70's RCA Roach quartets with Billy Harper ever seen CD?  And the Columbia quartet, "Chattahoochie Red"?  And why didn't the Roach Horo make it out when those other Horo sets did?  Roach as a leader in the 70's and early 80's is underrated, even as famous as he (rightly) is!

"Chattahoochie Red" would be most welcome. Max playing obbligato to MLK's "I have a dream..." speech is goosebump territory.

And the Ran set is a must for those who haven't been able to collect these titles. Each is worth having, but I would make special mention of the following.

• EPISTROPHY is a unique(ly) satisfying Monk tribute, one where the artist really adds something new to the stew.

• Similarly, DUKE DREAMS and Ellington/Sweet Pea.

• SHORT LIFE OF BARBARA MONK is simply one of the greatest jazz records you've likely never heard. Ricky Ford and Ran just kill together. Title track: damn.

Guys, regarding the George Adams box:

How many of the five CDs feature Don Pullen?

http://www.importcds.com/complete-remastered-recordings-5pc/8052405140616

Three of the five CDs in the box feature Pullen: Don't Lose Control and the two live discs from the Vanguard.

Hand to Hand and Gentlemen's Agreement feature Hugh Lawson on piano.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't have much Kenny Wheeler.  I've like what I have including "Angel Song" (with Konitz/Holland/Frisell) which is a tremendous recording.  Anyway, would this box be a good Kenny Wheeler intro/starting point?    Also, several people have said they like or plan to get the box, but there's been very little commentary about the music or bands, etc.  I'd be interested in what anyone has to say.  

Thanks.

Edited by Mike Neely
my name is repetitive and not necessary, too letterish

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2016 at 2:45 PM, Mike Neely said:

I don't have much Kenny Wheeler.  I've like what I have including "Angel Song" (with Konitz/Holland/Frisell) which is a tremendous recording.  Anyway, would this box be a good Kenny Wheeler intro/starting point?    Also, several people have said they like or plan to get the box, but there's been very little commentary about the music or bands, etc.  I'd be interested in what anyone has to say.  

Thanks.

You might want to keep going with the ECM titles.  Deer Wan, Widow In The Window, Large and Small Ensembles are great albums.

5 hours ago, StarThrower said:

You might want to keep going with the ECM titles.  Deer Wan, Widow In The Window, Large and Small Ensembles are great albums.

I'd agree there. I have the titles off the box in question individually and they are very enjoyable. But you get the impression those ECMs are where he was at his most concentrated. For a more free flowing quintet go for Widow; for carefully constructed large band music, go for MfL&SE (which also has some less 'written' music on disc 2).