Mosaic warehouse closed

Just got this e-mail from Mosaic:

Mosaic Records has not been immune to the shrinkage of the music industry and the ailing economy. Over the past two years, this has forced us to make some tough decisions and tighten our belt on more than one occasion.

In February, survival required us to close our warehouse and outsource our fulfillment to an excellent operation nearby. Like any new relationship, there will be bumps in the road initially but we are doing everything possible to insure that the quality of our operations maintain the high standard to which you have become accustomed. Please bear with us during this transitional period.

Our goal is to continue to mine vaults and issue definitive box sets of great jazz. The setbacks in the record industry have only made us more committed to the Mosaic Records mission.

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't skeptical. I wouldn't be surprised to see them shut down in the next few years.

But then again, I'm a pessimist when it comes to these things.

I hope you're wrong but it's definitely not a good sign. :(

Bad sign, tempted to get the two Mosaics I really want but can't afford (Braxton & Parker). Buy now, worry & pay later -- the American way!

I guess that explains the recent warehouse finds and Cindy's departure.

I'm pretty pessimistic about the long term viability of the company and just hope it's around long enough for me to pick up the sets that I want. They've stopped producing singles, I'm not sure if they're doing any more selects, they've only got one set upcoming posted on the website(Threadgill), they've shut down their vinyl shop, cut loose the Phil Schapp stuff, stopped selling photographs, shut down Mosaic Contemporary, shut their warehouse and now are working with a third party for order fulfillment. They're also fighting a bad economy, declining CD sales, putrid and continually declining jazz sales, the 50 year copyright law in Europe.

Seems to me they are just trying to stop the bleeding at this point.

I suppose that every good thing has to come to an end at some point

I guess that explains the recent warehouse finds and Cindy's departure.

I'm pretty pessimistic about the long term viability of the company and just hope it's around long enough for me to pick up the sets that I want. They've stopped producing singles, I'm not sure if they're doing any more selects, they've only got one set upcoming posted on the website(Threadgill), they've shut down their vinyl shop, cut loose the Phil Schapp stuff, stopped selling photographs, shut down Mosaic Contemporary, shut their warehouse and now are working with a third party for order fulfillment. They're also fighting a bad economy, declining CD sales, putrid and continually declining jazz sales, the 50 year copyright law in Europe.

Seems to me they are just trying to stop the bleeding at this point.

I suppose that every good thing has to come to an end at some point

Cutting loose the Phil Schaap stuff isn't a very big loss in my view :)

Well, it seems like time to leap in and buy what you still need over the coming few months. Problem here in the UK is that sterling is getting caned and those seven disk beauties look a lot more costly than they once did...

Come to think of it maybe it's time I *sold* some sets...

Edited by David Ayers

Well, it seems like time to leap in and buy what you still need over the coming few months. Problem here in the UK is that sterling is getting caned and those seven disk beauties look a lot more costly than they once did...

They'll be even more costly when eBay is the only place to get them...

Edited by J.A.W.

This morning I received an e-mail from Scott Wenzel indicating that the Bix, Tram & Tea set was moving to "last chance" status. This got me thinking that most of the news we hear from Mosaic these days is bad. Even the good news, e.g. the fact that sets which had been unavailable were once again in play, is kind of marginal. Now, in addition to this, Hans lets us know that economic conditions are forcing Mosaic to close its warehouse. When you get right down to it, and since the release of the Crosby set, this has been by far the most dormant period in the history of the label. The only "in development" sets are beset with licensing problems, so there's really not much to look forward to at all. I sure hope this doesn't portend the label going dark. That would be way too much like losing a close friend.

I've heard they're working on a Fletcher Henderson set and let's hope they do the Ellington set they're talked about.

They've been working on more sets than those two; let's hope they'll be able to get them past the planning stages.

I've heard they're working on a Fletcher Henderson set and let's hope they do the Ellington set they're talked about.

They've been working on more sets than those two; let's hope they'll be able to get them past the planning stages.

Don't tease. Are you sworn to silence on this?

Fuck...Why do I feel depressed????

I really hope the Ellington comes out before its over....

This morning I received an e-mail from Scott Wenzel indicating that the Bix, Tram & Tea set was moving to "last chance" status. This got me thinking that most of the news we hear from Mosaic these days is bad. Even the good news, e.g. the fact that sets which had been unavailable were once again in play, is kind of marginal. Now, in addition to this, Hans lets us know that economic conditions are forcing Mosaic to close its warehouse. When you get right down to it, and since the release of the Crosby set, this has been by far the most dormant period in the history of the label. The only "in development" sets are beset with licensing problems, so there's really not much to look forward to at all. I sure hope this doesn't portend the label going dark. That would be way too much like losing a close friend.

I'm no bean counter but really, how much can they save by shutting down their warehouse? You would think it would be marginal. Now they have pay a third party to store all their sets and and to ship all their orders (wonder if this will result in an increase in shiupping costs). And what will they lose in terms of customer service? You had committed jazz people shipping the sets but now you have people who couldn't care whether they're shipping a Mosaic set or a toaster oven (and probably don't know the difference). I love Mosaic and have many sets but this move is not a good one IMO. But I guess if it's keeps them alive a little longer it's OK. They must know what they're doing.

Saving rent + employee costs can't be inconsequential. And either this is a last gasp attempt to stay alive or else it is a worthwhile change.

And while shipping costs might increase marginally, I don't see the difference between a "committed jazz people" and your average warehouse employee packaging a sale and shipping it. This sounds a lot like the old CD Baby spiel about parading your ordered CD on a velvet pillow before lovingly placing it in the mailer. :rolleyes:

I do believe though that Mosaic will fold sooner than anyone wants to see it happen. If anything I think they should revisit the "never to be available again" promise. They might rebuild their capital reserves if they could revisit the most popular sets of the past. It would hurt people who think of Mosaic sets as an investment but f-k them.

Saving rent + employee costs can't be inconsequential. And either this is a last gasp attempt to stay alive or else it is a worthwhile change.

And while shipping costs might increase marginally, I don't see the difference between a "committed jazz people" and your average warehouse employee packaging a sale and shipping it. This sounds a lot like the old CD Baby spiel about parading your ordered CD on a velvet pillow before lovingly placing it in the mailer. :rolleyes:

I do believe though that Mosaic will fold sooner than anyone wants to see it happen. If anything I think they should revisit the "never to be available again" promise. They might rebuild their capital reserves if they could revisit the most popular sets of the past. It would hurt people who think of Mosaic sets as an investment but f-k them.

I agree with everything you've said there, Dan - particularly the last paragraph. I think the trouble with that idea is that the licenses will have run out, so they'd have to pay again. Still cheaper than doing all the research and remastering etc, but not as profitable as it might be at first blush.

MG

I'd go a step further and suggest a download option (I'm not one for the 'collector's packaging' or the whole 'collectability' thing as a whole (I just like to hear the music; if I want to invest I'll buy stocks and shares)...this could be included as a PDF).

I suspect the worry would be making piracy even easier. Though given how easy it is to pirate the CDs I'm not sure there's much of a margin.

Presumably EMI still have a stake in Mosaic. In their parlous state EMI will be looking hard at their investment in Mosaic. So this news is no surprise. Even if Mosaic manage to keep their head above water I suspect there will bound to be a reduced level of customer service.

I wonder if this means there's a doubt about the upcoming Henry Threadgill release. I hope not because I've sold off several of my CDs that are included in the set. Damn - that's what happens when I try to be clever!

Edited by Head Man