Bitches Brew 40th Anniversary

BFrank

I just got back from SxSW in Austin and was very fortunate to be able to attend a panel discussion on the 40th Anniversary of Bitches Brew. The panel consisted of Ashley Kahn (moderator), Steve Berkowitz, Erin Davis, Lenny White and Vincent Wilburn Jr.

It was a really tremedous hour of interesting stories and tidbits of information about the album, in particular, and Miles in that period, in general. To top it off, they gave out t-shirts and copies of the album to every attendee - AND, had 2 quiz questions where the winners received Miles Davis ear buds and the 70CD complete box. The questions weren't hard, I should have won one of those - just not fast enough.

Lenny White had the most to say and a majority of the more interesting stories. I hadn't realized how involved he was in the project. It was one of his first appearances on record (maybe THE first). He had been playing with Jackie McLean, which is how Miles got his name.

Berkowitz brought along a brief audio he had put together for this presentation showing the evolution of drumming on Miles' projects from '67, '68 and '69 - Tony's powerful, but still jazz-oriented riffs in '67 to DeJohnette's funky rock-style drumming in '69. Each piece would start with the standard mix and then he would take out the other instruments so we could hear only the drummer. Very cool.

Erin and Vince had fewer interesting stories, surprisingly. I was tempted to let Vince know that he's a controversial figure on these message boards, although I did shake his hand while he circulated around the room "greeting" people.

Afterwards I went up to the front and tried to get a few questions in with Berkowitz, but he seemed to be more focused on talking to the guy next to me (who I suddenly realized was Lenny Kaye!). He did let on that there is a plan to re-release all the metal spine box sets packaged together in a trumpet case. They're all OOP at this point but he said that he had held back 1,000 copies of each in case another opportunity came up. Finally, he said that there is going to be a Sony Legacy "bootleg" series coming out in the near future, so get ready for THOSE.

A very cool hour, for sure. One of the highlights of the festival for me.

DSCN1343.JPG

Steve Berkowitz, Erin Davis, Vince Wilburn Jr, Lenny White and Ashley Kahn

1) It's been 40 years and some people still haven't gotten over it.

2) Did Miles steal all his drummers from Jackie :)

3) Is the bootleg series what I hope it will be? If so, it's long overdue.

4) Why did this take place in Austin?

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

They talked about how Miles "stole" McLaughlin and Larry Young from Tony's Lifetime for this project, and their relationship was never the same after that.

The bootleg series will be mostly live shows, I believe - many from European radio broadcasts.

It does seem out of place at the SxSW festival, but there was a lot of talk about how this was one of the first "jazz-rock" albums (not "fusion" - Lenny hates that term). Miles himself called it 'the greatest rock and roll album ever'.

Edited by BFrank

4) Why did this take place in Austin?

Bertrand.

You may not be familiar with the South by Southwest Music & Film Festival (website), but it's a very large week long event that attracts almost 2,000 bands, industry people, and tons of fans. Primarily rock and roll, but the list of bands that played is pretty long.

I'm not sure there's anything quite like it anywhere else, to be honest. BFrank has attended for the past couple of years, and I've always enjoyed his updates about the music he's seen.

Edited by Aggie87

I would not be surprised to see the bootleg series begin with Davis/Coltrane's last European tour. Probably would be a nice selling product, with the most people being interested in that. I'm sure the producers want to see the series off to a good start. The 1967 Quintet would be cool, and a lot of the fusion stuff -- until Miles' five year hiatus is needed (at least I need all I can get!).

I would not be surprised to see the bootleg series begin with Davis/Coltrane's last European tour. Probably would be a nice selling product, with the most people being interested in that. I'm sure the producers want to see the series off to a good start. The 1967 Quintet would be cool, and a lot of the fusion stuff -- until Miles' five year hiatus is needed (at least I need all I can get!).

FYI

The Miles Davis European Tour 1967

1. Oct 28: Antwerp, Belgium

2. Oct 29: London, England, UK

3. Oct 30: Rotterdam, The Netherlands

4. Oct 31: Stockholm, Sweden

5. Nov 1: Helsinki, Finland

6. Nov 2: Copenhagen, Denmark

7. Nov 4: Berlin, Germany

8. Nov 6: Paris, France-I have

9. Nov 7: Karlsruhe, Germany

Lenny White had the most to say and a majority of the more interesting stories. I hadn't realized how involved he was in the project. It was one of his first appearances on record (maybe THE first). 

It was White's second record date, after the sessions for Andrew Hill's Passing Ships

Man, I wonder what that trumpet case is gonna cost.

Seeing as how I only have the IASW set, it's basically the law that I have to buy it....right?

Yep. I think it's a done deal. ENJOY! :excited:

Honestly though now that I think about it, how can this not cost $500+? No way could I afford that. Hopefully the pricing will be a bit more reasonable ...

That panel discussion must have been great. Thanks for posting about it and including the pic.

I vividly remember the 2 LP set first coming out. I had really enjoyed "In A Silent Way" from the word go, but I couldn't make head or tail of "Bitches' Brew" at the time, and I still don't like it. It just doesn't satisfy me as music, whatever label the genre might be given. Above all, I don't like the 8/8 beat for jazz, as it's like a strait jacket for phrasing when you are soloing. The 12/8 feel of the jazz 4/4 is wide open and allows a lot more freedom for the soloist. I also don't like the multiple rhythm section, which is kinda muddy and clumsy in my opinion.

But all credit to Miles for being experimental. By 1969, there was no point in trying to continue with the 1964-68 quintet playing the same kind of stuff.

I’m anxiously waiting for details and more official confirmation for the bootleg series. It could mean a dream to come true, but it might as well turn out to be just a couple of well known live recordings with better liner notes.

In a perfect world they would gather all the existing live tapes, pick up the jewels and produce logically arranged de luxe boxed sets out of them. One box devoted to each of the most legendary line ups (eg. with Coltrane / with Shorter, Hancock, Carter & Williams / with Shorter, Corea, Holland & DeJohnette etc...).

But hey, why would they deal with the bootleg stuff before they’ve run out of unissued or re-releasable Columbia vault material? As far as I know there’s still a fair amount of live tapes waiting for a decent re-issue treatment, at least from the 70´s.

But hey, why would they deal with the bootleg stuff before they’ve run out of unissued or re-releasable Columbia vault material? As far as I know there’s still a fair amount of live tapes waiting for a decent re-issue treatment, at least from the 70´s.

I think they'd lump the 70's material recorded live by Columbia into the same series (assuming there's enough sales potential for more live 70's material).

Just because they referred to it as the "bootleg" series in this panel discussion, that doesn't necessarily mean that the series is actually going to be called that from a marketing perspective. Personally I don't think the series will have "bootleg" anywhere in the name. But they can call it "jumpin' jehosaphat" for all I care, just bring it on!!

Lenny White had the most to say and a majority of the more interesting stories. I hadn't realized how involved he was in the project. It was one of his first appearances on record (maybe THE first). 

It was White's second record date, after the sessions for Andrew Hill's Passing Ships

Other way around. Bitches Brew was August; Passing Ships was November 1969.