Lee Morgan would have been good in the 70s

he would of made a shitload more albums and who knows what the next one would be. his very last two release, were on a whole nother level. right now im listeing to 1st pressing CARAMBA, which is one of the last of the old, by live at the lightohose he was off the deep-end. that is not like any other jazz. is caramba the 1st full on calypso lee morgan, or lee morgan and billy higgins, ever did?

"would of"? :unsure: Is English your second or third language? You surely mean "would have", indicating 'possibility'.

And doesn't 'shitload' mean 'load of shit'? Why would you wish him to make shitloads? The reason for grammar rules, and vocabulary is to communicate accurately. Put a little effort into this, please.

Years ago my recurring dream was that Lee wasn't shot at Small's and that he brought Hank into his group, keeping Hank consistently employed and giving us some more recordings into the 70s. I have to wonder if Hank might have had a shot at living long enough to have enjoyed some real acclaim if he had the ability to take better care of himself.

Maybe not given the personal issues but its a nice dream.

"would of"? :unsure: Is English your second or third language? You surely mean "would have", indicating 'possibility'.

And doesn't 'shitload' mean 'load of shit'? Why would you wish him to make shitloads? The reason for grammar rules, and vocabulary is to communicate accurately. Put a little effort into this, please.

I, for one, appreciate chewy's grammatical structure - it gives spice to the discussions here. And that's as a fairly rigorous grammarian myself.

Anyway, Mizell - really? I would OF thought he'd fit right in with the Strata East vibe that was happening at the time. Maybe an update of Take Twelve with Jordan, Walton, Higgins and Bill Lee?

"Years ago my recurring dream was that Lee wasn't shot at Small's"

actually, Dan, your dream came true - he was shot at Slugs - where I used to go as a wee teenager; scary neighborhood, run by (in those days) the Hells Angels but also infested with junkies and other scary characters. Great little club, though, with good acoustics (and how could you not like a place where Jean Genet hung out? I remember him as a sqaut, powerful looking guy that people made a fuss over).

Actually, if Lee were still alive, I think he'd be leading the Glenn Miller ghost band doing Bobby Hackett solos.

Not to hijack this thread, but the number of grammatical dunces turned out by our educational system at all levels is stunning. Just read your local newspaper. It's amazing to me what now passes for acceptable writing. This morning, I was reading an article where the author used to word past instead of passed. I mean, what was he thinking, not to mention his editor. Then you see some knuckleheads who are suggesting that it ought be OK to use what I call twitter-slang in formal written communication. The dumbing down continues, unabated.

Not to hijack this thread, but the number of grammatical dunces turned out by our educational system at all levels is stunning. Just read your local newspaper. It's amazing to me what now passes for acceptable writing. This morning, I was reading an article where the author used to word past instead of passed. I mean, what was he thinking, not to mention his editor. Then you see some knuckleheads who are suggesting that it ought be OK to use what I call twitter-slang in formal written communication. The dumbing down continues, unabated.

Well I'm passed stupid now.

:g

Years ago my recurring dream was that Lee wasn't shot at Small's and that he brought Hank into his group, keeping Hank consistently employed and giving us some more recordings into the 70s. I have to wonder if Hank might have had a shot at living long enough to have enjoyed some real acclaim if he had the ability to take better care of himself.

Maybe not given the personal issues but its a nice dream.

And we would have gotten many more lousy sounding Muse recordings!

Well I'm passed stupid now.

:g

I think the game has past Big Papi by.

Spell check, while great, allows some grammatical errors to go through and is no substitute for effective proofing.

This morning, I was reading an article where the author used to word past instead of passed.

I was reading an article in which the author used the word ...

Only joking.

That Mizell story is an old chestnut. By the way Chewy, I came across an interview with Hank (conducted by Phil Woods) in the French Jazz Magazine today (c. 1970). Do people know about this piece? I didn't. He talks about dancing at a disco with Dexter Gordon.

Preemptive apologies for any language errors.

And doesn't 'shitload' mean 'load of shit'?

and there I was thinking that 'shitload' meant 'a lot of' and has done for some time.

Relax... language can be marvellously fluid...I had no problem understanding the original post but maybe I'm 'lazy' too. For me, the effort was in the posting and initiation of a new topic

apologies in advance for any grammatical laziness or spelling errers

Why rag on chewy's grammar? Who fucking cares? It's probably more his shtick than anything, and most of us here have one.

Bear in mind that this is an international forum and that incorrect English is not always easy to understand for members whose first language isn't English :)

Then again, correct English is not always easy to speak (or isn't always even preferable) for members whose first language is English...

How 'bout we all just say what we have to say the way we feel it & make any necessary clarification(s) as/when/if needed?

This morning, I was reading an article where the author used to word past instead of passed.

I was reading an article in which the author used the word ...

Only joking.

That Mizell story is an old chestnut. By the way Chewy, I came across an interview with Hank (conducted by Phil Woods) in the French Jazz Magazine today (c. 1970). Do people know about this piece? I didn't. He talks about dancing at a disco with Dexter Gordon.

Preemptive apologies for any language errors.

Full and unconditional pardon for all language errors now and in perpetuity if you'd translate and post that Hank interview.

:P

"Years ago my recurring dream was that Lee wasn't shot at Small's"

actually, Dan, your dream came true - he was shot at Slugs - where I used to go as a wee teenager; scary neighborhood, run by (in those days) the Hells Angels but also infested with junkies and other scary characters. Great little club, though, with good acoustics (and how could you not like a place where Jean Genet hung out? I remember him as a sqaut, powerful looking guy that people made a fuss over).

Actually, if Lee were still alive, I think he'd be leading the Glenn Miller ghost band doing Bobby Hackett solos.

I grew up in the Lillian Wald projects on Avenue D, one long avenue block from Slug's which was located on East 3rd St., just off Avenue C. Yeah, pretty tough neighborhood although I do recall that Jackie McLean also resided in the Wald projects. And while I had moved to Brooklyn Heights by the time of his death, I did witness Lee's last two sets at Slug's, but I've told that story before.

Why rag on chewy's grammar? Who fucking cares? It's probably more his shtick than anything, and most of us here have one.

Bear in mind that this is an international forum and that incorrect English is not always easy to understand for members whose first language isn't English :)

If we're going to talk in really International English it's probably not going to look like 'correct' British or US English at all. IE teachers use a basic vocabulary of about 1500 words. Good news - 'jazz' is one of them! But we will never speak of hard bop again ...

Afraid I didn't copy that interview. I'm sure Brownie has it. I only skimmed it: Mobley moans about Ornette a bit, then gets down at the disco, and that's about it.

If we're going to talk in really International English it's probably not going to look like 'correct' British or US English at all. IE teachers use a basic vocabulary of about 1500 words. Good news - 'jazz' is one of them! But we will never speak of hard bop again ...

:lol: